Paypal and RMB??!

• 6 replies
Paypal and RMB??!
« on: June 24, 2020, 10:10:37 PM »
After trawling through various internet articles and even Paypal's faqs and help center, I still haven't seen a clear statement:

Can people send RMB from China through Paypal?

You definitely can send money to China. You (probably) can't make local Paypal payments within China. And you definitely can NOT send RMB out of China?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Paypal and RMB??!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:27:11 PM »
i *think* the answer is you can send money from China through Paypal if the money is any one of these:

USD, AUD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HUF, ILS, JPY, MXN, NOK, NZD, PHP, PLN, RUB, SEK, SGD, THB, TWD

And none of those are RMB

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 03:33:18 AM »
Let's lay down some definitions: RMB aka CNY is not convertible currency for international trade so no, you can not send RMB out.
However, you can transfer money out of china. Your rb get converted according to some exchange rate in the process and received in whatever currency works in the landing account.

Back in the days, the easiest way to get money out of the big silly, other than stuffing it in one's underwear, was paypal. Open an account in china, open an account at home and send money from one to the other. EAsy peasy.
I did that a few times.

I heard recently they plugged that loophole but I'm not sure.

Now, the best way i found is keeping the money in china and using a union pay card to withdraw abroad and also to pay. Withdrawals count against the yearly limit but not payments. Best of both worlds.

Also, with the CNY value controlled by BoC, it means you're more or less safe against huge deflation/inflation trends.
 :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

After trawling through various internet articles and even Paypal's faqs and help center, I still haven't seen a clear statement:

Can people send RMB from China through Paypal?

You definitely can send money to China. You (probably) can't make local Paypal payments within China. And you definitely can NOT send RMB out of China?
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Now, the best way i found is keeping the money in china and using a union pay card to withdraw abroad and also to pay. Withdrawals count against the yearly limit but not payments. Best of both worlds.

I reckon I'll end up agreeing with this when I finally do start using a debit card that way.

But for Paypal I was wondering more about Chinese customers or clients (or indeed foreigners inside China) buying stuff from outside of China. Can they plug RMB into the Paypal system from inside China and have the seller outside of China receive actu-money?

Seems like... yes?

But there's something about Paypal fees that needs looking into as well. Their automatic currency conversion adds some avoidable surcharge or something???!??

The internet is sufficiently vague on all of this that I'm getting "nope" vibes from all of it.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
Nolefan, interesting to hear about the UnionPay method.  What do you think is the best method these days to transfer money out of CN occasionally (to feed savings into home bank account), while remaining physically in CN?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 11:03:14 PM »
Nolefan, interesting to hear about the UnionPay method.  What do you think is the best method these days to transfer money out of CN occasionally (to feed savings into home bank account), while remaining physically in CN?
Give a union pay card to a friend who will make withdrawals on your behalf. That's seriously how we managed to get quite a bit of cash out with 500 Euro each month out of the ATM for 2 years.
That said, best thing is probably to get a chinese friend to do a swift transfer from their Alipay to the account directly and only costs about 50RMB
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 03:23:23 AM »
Ah, very good!  Thanks