"Green Card" Update

• 89 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: "Green Card" Update
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
Drat.  Thought my paperwork had made it to GZ, but its still in DG.  Now they want my CV.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't want the CV before – take it as a good sign!

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
Yeah, as long as they are asking for more info, that means they haven't found a reason to reject me.

I am wondering why the various "add ons" weren't all asked for upfront.  Maybe they don't want to have to dig through as much for people who are going to be rejected quickly.

Just to make this extra fun, they want all the jobs I've had since I was 18.  Maybe I'll spare them the part about mowing the neighbor's lawn. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »
Not to be a wet blanket, but...

For some foreigners, 'green cards' are a disappointment

The permanent residency permits, which China began issuing in 2004, are among the most difficult to obtain in the world due to the high requirements involved.

According to the Ministry of Public Security, more than 7,300 foreigners had obtained green cards by 2013, but more than 600,000 foreigners live in China.

In June, the Ministry of Public Security eased the requirements and streamlined procedures for foreign applicants who served in some government-affiliated institutes and scientific and research centers.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
First, I need to get it.  Then I can figure out if it's adequate for buying train tickets or not. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »
First, I need to get it.  Then I can figure out if it's adequate for buying train tickets or not. ahahahahah
The article says it's not.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2016, 01:35:09 PM »
That could have been from one or two greencard holders at one or two train stations.  As we know, rules in China take a while to get spread around and are not always evenly enforced.

I'm not too worried.  Passport free access to train tickets isn't even on my list of reasons for wanting a green card.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2016, 12:29:09 AM »
Just wondering if anyone noticed the announcement from February this year, it basically said that the requirements for green card will be further relaxed and that the benefits of having one will be expanded and more clearly defined. Here's a link from china daily: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2016-02/26/content_23650998.htm

Hope it doesn't take too long to get fully implemented...

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »
Just wondering if anyone noticed the announcement from February this year, it basically said that the requirements for green card will be further relaxed and that the benefits of having one will be expanded and more clearly defined. Here's a link from china daily: http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/2016-02/26/content_23650998.htm

I don't want to keep on being a wet blanket, but I didn't get past the first sentence:

Chinese permanent residence, used to attract top foreign experts...

I don't know what permanent residency is supposed to be anywhere, but as a pay-off for being an expert... they're just taking the piss, right? They will certainly reserve the right to decide who wins this prize and therefore this prize is not determined by the topness of your expertise. It stinks of being not about residency at all. It looks a lot more like setting up a needle and telling people they can ride their camels through the eye if they like.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
I'm coming in under the "survived 5 years of wedded bruises bliss" option, so the expert part doesn't apply to me.  That's a whole different set of qualifications.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that rules for those who have a green card aren't universally enforced.  FT rules are much better defined and established, but enforcement varies from province to province, city to city, and school to school.  If some railway ticket offices missed the memo about green cards, it's not a big deal (unless you're a greencard holder who left your passport at home).

As the number of greencard holders increases, word of whatever amazing powers the cards grant will eventually circulate to most places.  In the meantime, I'll be happy to get a greencard to save myself the time and effort of my annual "visit multiple police stations for a month" residence permit renewals while getting prepared to see about turning my green card into a red passport.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »
It looks a lot more like setting up a needle and telling people they can ride their camels through the eye if they like.

True (and quite applicable to a lot of things), it's just that if green card does become reasonably available/attainable it would make life so much easier, so whenever I see an article or news that promises development in that area I do get my hopes up.

After working for the same company for 5 years, I want to make a change and if possible, take a break. But if I quit then my work visa will turn into a non renewable 1 month tourist visa and if I want to work in China again I'll have to go through the whole work visa/permit process all over again. I interviewed with one potential employer for a translation position last Friday and they wanted me for the role. But later they emailed and said they are not able to sponsor work visa... It's a bit frustrating, my weekend involved indulging in beer and ice cream and a renewed job search.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
If an employer can't sponsor a work visa, that means the employer can't legally hire you.  If you get caught, you'll be the one paying big fines and getting kicked out for breaking the law.  The good news is that if you look around, there are places that can provide legal employment.  If you can time the transition between jobs right, you may be able to get a month or two off in between if you want a break.

And, back to topic - my wife was busy, so getting my short-form CV translated took a little longer than planned, but it's been turned in.  Now, hopefully, my application can move up to the provincial level.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:40:32 PM by AMonk »
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »
Someone at some level in Green Card Processing Land just called to double-check on my citizenship history.  The drawback of being an army brat born in Germany is that some people keep wondering if I hold or once held German citizenship.  Even my father thought I was qualified for dual citizenship.

I've checked the German rules extremely carefully.  Two American parents who were not intending to be permanent residents of Germany means that Germany has no claim on me and I have no claim on Germany.  Plus, I believe the US base I was born inside of technically qualifies as American territory, so I'm probably even legally eligible to run for president.

Hopefully, once everyone looking at my application is properly reassured, I'll be getting my greencard.
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
They certainly aren't looking with any expedience.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
I was getting a little worried, so sent my lovely wife down to the Bureau of Naughty Foreigner Containment to check up on things last week.

Direct communications between local, provincial, and national levels appear to be rare.  The application moved up from Dongguan to the provincial level.  Since there's evidently no simple way for the local bureau to know what's going on, this means my application may or may not have moved up to national level yet.

It also looks like that 6-9 month initial estimate was a bit optimistic.  Now they seem to think 1 year is closer to the minimum.  They told her that if we'd heard nothing back after the application was 18 months old to let them know and they'd send an inquiry.

I'm all in favor if them checking everything very closely, but really wish there was some method to track things.
EscapedLunatic.com