E-Book Readers

• 59 replies
Re: E-Book Readers
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
Unfortunately, what I have is a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Moon Reader Pro, the Concise Oxford, a simple and useable AK Notepad, wifi, and Chrome. It is immediately responsive to touch, doesn't pulse, does multi-task, and has a properly functional cut, copy, and paste system for handling text. I also have a Kindle Paperwhite.

This particular device looks and works just like the devices I see in the review videos, except this one refreshes the whole page with every page turn, no matter how many times I turn that feature off. So I get the black flash every page instead of every six pages. This appears to be a popular issue and not indicative of fakery. Some research suggests it is related to temperature, and it's been 35C all week so maybe that's it.

Meanwhile, it's just not a well-appointed phone with four cpus. I'll try it again in the autumn. Let's just pretend this whole thing never happened.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:26:42 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
Hmm..well, all I can say is that my machine and I are both in hot-as-the-devil's-ass Hangzhou and my Paperwhite is doing none of the things that you describe. As for the phone....I have a somewhat useless HTC, model name Piece of Effing Crap...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »
Seeing as how I just spent three hours reading on the sofa, this device may yet find a place in the pantheon of adequate technologies. No promises, though.

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 01:53:09 PM »
Kindle Painfullife - Day 3

So last night under the air conditioner, the Kindle was turning pages nicely - the black flash of a full screen refresh came once every 6 pages, a gentle but quick fade between words otherwise. This morning after sitting in an un-air conditioned room all night it's back to black flash every page. I tried the supposed fix (leave it alone, don't press the power button, let it go to sleep by itself), but no dice.

lo tech + book = stick your finger through your forehead.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
CP neither of my Kindles have done that either.

I have an iPhone so of course I could read on my phone as well, but it really strains my eyes after awhile and I can't just curl up on the sofa with the phone the way I could a book. I read a lot and the Kindle is a much more comfortable reading experience.

Also? Battery life. CP, if you go on long trips at all your phone is going to die on you but your Kindle won't. I charge my Kindle maybe once a month. I have to charge my phone daily, sometimes more than once a day if I'm using certain features heavily.

The Kindle is meant to simulate the paper-book reading experience. Like you said before, it is low-tech on purpose. The "high tech" Kindle is the Fire, but that is basically just another tablet.

CP, if you got a defective Kindle, return it. Amazon has a very good return/replace policy. Did you buy it from Amazon.cn? If you bought it from a seller (and in the future, with Kindles, just buy from Amazon. My Amazon.cn purchased Kindle is no different from my USA bought one) find out what you need to do to get it replaced. Amazon will usually send you a new one right away.

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
I agree with TLD. You seem to have a defective Kindle. Mine does not do the things yours does, nor have any of my Kindle-owning friends experienced these problems.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
According to a commenter on an Amazon Kindle discussion forum, it ain't broke:

I have just had a call from Amazon Kindle support confirming the post I made above viz:

Below 15 degrees C and above 32 degrees C the Kindle will perform a full refresh of the E Ink display regardless of the Option setting. This is an operating parameter requirement for the display and has been designed into the Kindle ereader.

It's a feature.

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
Kindle Pulpywhite - Day 4

I'm getting used to it. Buyer's remorse is giving way to lengthy spells of book reading. We may yet be okay.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »
Don't let go of your disappointment. Read some articles about Iphone charger electrocution. It could have been you.

/luddite

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2013, 04:44:32 AM »

Don't let go of your disappointment. Read some articles about Iphone charger electrocution. It could have been you.

/luddite

Pffft. You never need to use a Kindle while it is charging. The thing holds a charge for about a month and charges up fully within an hour.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
I can't believe it. Two weeks before I leave for China and I have killed my Kindle.

I have - had - a keyboard model which I loved (for playing scrabble) now I have to find another, and they are so expensive in Australia. Oh well off to the shops tomorrow - I'm already having withdrawals, nothing to read in bed last night and nothing to read with my coffee this morning.

I wonder what I will come home with?
I've fallen in love with the world.....

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »
Why buy it in Australia?
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:41 AM »
Not sure if this works in Australia, but the Nook HD+ is $149.99USD for the 16gb model with expandable memory of up to 64gb. They ported Google Play and got rid of their proprietary web browser and now use Chrome as the browser. Right now, it's the cheapest tablet of that caliber on the US market right now. You should google up reviews for the Nook HD+ if you have access to this particular model in Australia.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
I didn't want to go through withdrawals again so bought a new keyboard Kindle and I love it. Was great on the plane and I am settling back into Chinese life with my Kindle in my bag.
I've fallen in love with the world.....

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
At the advice of the esteemed forum bought my Kindle in 2011 and have had many happy hours curled up on sofa/in bed .All well so far.Have a friend whose son's kindle broke -Amazon sent a replacement no questions asked. bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord