Chinese visas for your kids

• 4 replies
Chinese visas for your kids
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »
Someone I know just commented on my blog with this:

Our internet is bad and I finally got your site to open for the first time since June. Glad you survived your long train rides!
I was just wondering if got some form to fill out for your kids that says that they give up thier Chinese citizenship and won't ever try to get a hu kou?  We didn't know about this and when we tried to get our son his visa to return to China at the Chicago consulate, they refused to give him one because we lacked this document.
So now he's back in China, still nothing in his US passport, and some Chinese travel booklet.  Not sure which citizenship he legally is at this point!

Since my kids will be visiting America this year and we're planning on getting them their Chinese visas upon return, this is something I need to look into. Has anyone heard of this form and, more importantly, have any idea what it might be called in Chinese?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Chinese visas for your kids
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »
A child born in China, who has a foreign passport, loses any claim to Chinese citizenship once they leave the country. Before leaving China, though, you have to go to the PSB and get an Exit Permit to take the child out...China regards children born in China as Chinese citizens, regardless of passport, until they leave on a foreign passport.

Actually, I think children under 18 can "piggyback" on your Z visa or Residence Permit, and don't need their own. Spouses may be able to do this, too. I don't think it always applies to Tourist or Business visas, though. I dunno...stuff can change pretty fast. Best bet is to check with your local PSB or Chinese Consulate. bjbjbjbjbj
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:18:37 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »
Yeah, I knew about the exit permits, we actually went to get them this summer but they'd only give us permits good for 1 month, and since we were not going to be going out of the country within a month (we were thinking they'd give us 3 months and were going to try and go to Korea in October) we didn't bother. The PSB in Kunming did tell us that it didn't matter where we went, we could get the permits anywhere so we'll try again in Beijing once we're a month away from actually leaving the country. That part was pretty easy though, they were all set to give us the exit permits until we changed our minds at the last minute.

This person on my blog was saying though that after they got their kids to the States and were trying to come back to China the consulate wanted some sort of document stating that the kids would never ever try and apply for hukous or reclaim their Chinese citizenship. I'd never heard of such a thing until this woman posted that comment on my blog.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »
This person on my blog was saying though that after they got their kids to the States and were trying to come back to China the consulate wanted some sort of document stating that the kids would never ever try and apply for hukous or reclaim their Chinese citizenship. I'd never heard of such a thing until this woman posted that comment on my blog.

Hmmmm...new one on me, too.
But this seems like a no-brainer. Rule #1 of business: Give the people what they want...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

BrandeX

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
We have a form at the US consulate to rescind your right to citizenship permanently. They probably want something similar for China.