Guns

• 270 replies
Re: Guns
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Not something I would fret too much about. The article does not say you can print your own bullets. A gun without bullets is, well, a piece of metal or plastic.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »
I beg to differ
http://defcad.org/browse/
very very worrying imho  aoaoaoaoao
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
I beg to differ
http://defcad.org/browse/
very very worrying imho  aoaoaoaoao

I saw high-explosive anti-tank warhead on that list! http://defcad.org/125mm-heat/   aoaoaoaoao

They say they're just models though ...

But this is really neither here nor there wrt gun control I guess. That site isn't even blocked in China ... these guns could be made anywhere by anyone.

Also?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-creates-functional-gun-on-3d-printer,32343/

“Sounds cool, but I’d probably rather just buy a real gun than trying to figure out how to set up another printer.”  ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
Looks like they still haven't figured out the firing pin.  This means that you still can't print 100% of the components of a gun . . .

yet. aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

gonzo

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
It's difficult to say anything about this issue, because I don't think that allowing the public to own guns is wrong. I think it's insane, ridiculous and irresponsible.

Precisely. This "I need a gun to defend my family" argument holds water in Afghanistan, Mali etc., but in the USA? Look at GUN DEATHS  the US and similar countries on Google, then do the Maths.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Check the crime stats for Washington DC vs. the local gun restrictions before counting on laws alone to protect innocent people from violence.

I'll make all the anti-gun people in the world an ironclad promise.  Find a way to make sure that all the criminals surrender all their guns first.  Once they've done so, I'll happily give my complete and total support for all remaining guns to be placed under super-tight restrictions.  I'll even donate a certain very fine weapon in my collection that the press would call an "assault shotgun" to any local police agency that wants it.  I'll throw in the ammo too.

Until then, I have to agree with my brother (now serving as a police chief):

After 23 years in law enforcement I can say without a doubt, "An unarmed citizen is a victim waiting to happen".

This does highlight one very nice thing about China compared to the USA.  Since there are so very few stray guns out there, it limits the types of concealable weapons available to violent criminals.  This definitely tilts the arms race in favor of homeowners in the event of a break in.  Never bring a knife to a sword fight. uuuuuuuuuu
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

Until then, I have to agree with my brother (now serving as a police chief):

After 23 years in law enforcement I can say without a doubt, "An unarmed citizen is a victim waiting to happen".

And if you have a weapon, what are the statistics of trying to use it against an assailant?

http://www.bradycampaign.org/
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »

And if you have a weapon, what are the statistics of trying to use it against an assailant?

The bulk of those statistics are amazingly well manipulated.  You just have to know how to ask the right question and define the terms in ways that favors your own preferred outcome.  For example, studies showing that guns are rarely used to defend the home as opposed to killing someone else in the home typically define "defend" as killing an intruder.  Common defenses can involve displaying a gun, firing a warning shot, wounding an intruder, or, my personal fav, that amazingly worrisome sound of chambering a round in a pump action shotgun - any burglar who doesn't instantly flee when that noise comes from the master suite likely has a death wish.

Anyone want to bet what the statistics are from (pick a country, ANY country) on the number of deaths (murder, accident, suicide) of members of a household from kitchen knives vs. the number of intruders killed with kitchen knives?  Why do I suspect that these stats would show kitchen knives are much more dangerous to family members and much less dangerous to burglars than guns in the US are?

Statistically, dogs are much more likely to bite a family member than to bite a burglar (or even a postman).  Still, a largish dog is VERY high up on the list of burglary deterrents.

Feel free to check the burglary rates for Switzerland - where virtually every home has a gun (and I don't think they all keep large dogs).  They've also got significantly lower gun accident rates - simple evidence that proper training in how to safely handle a firearm will reduce unnecessary deaths far faster than trying to round up all the weapons from a populace containing quite a few people who won't cooperate due to either criminal tendencies or for Constitutional reasons.

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2013, 12:28:22 AM »
simple evidence that proper training in how to safely handle a firearm will reduce unnecessary deaths far faster than trying to round up all the weapons from a populace containing quite a few people who won't cooperate due to either criminal tendencies or for Constitutional reasons.

And there you have the crux of the problem. There is no IQ test that goes along with gun ownership nor is there a full scale training requirement. Some people do and good for them
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

CWL

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2013, 04:08:46 AM »
Precisely. This "I need a gun to defend my family" argument holds water in Afghanistan, Mali etc., but in the USA? Look at GUN DEATHS  the US and similar countries on Google, then do the Maths.

Take up all the guns from the vatos and homies first.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GUN_VIOLENCE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-07-19-27-18

Reports show gun homicides down since 1990s

A study released Tuesday by the government's Bureau of Justice Statistics found that gun-related homicides dropped from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011. That's a 39 percent reduction.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2013, 04:24:38 AM »
It's difficult to say anything about this issue, because I don't think that allowing the public to own guns is wrong. I think it's insane, ridiculous and irresponsible.
Why do you trust the public less than those whom I assume you trust, such as police, military, etc.?

To give my question some perspective as an American, did you happen to follow the story a couple of months ago about the Los Angeles Police Department going on a shooting rampage to try and murder someone named Chris Dorner?

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2013, 04:52:26 AM »
A study released Tuesday by the government's Bureau of Justice Statistics found that gun-related homicides dropped from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011. That's a 39 percent reduction.

Never trust a gov't report

According to wiki (who are 1% more reliable):
In 2010, there were 19,392 firearm-related suicide deaths, and 14,078 firearm-related homicide deaths in the United States

A total of over 33thousand gun related deaths
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »
A man named Adam Kokesh has called for a July 4th (US Independence Day) march on Washington, D.C. for people carrying loaded guns. Guns are mostly illegal in D.C. He said on a radio program that this was to be interpreted as an armed attack on the government.

There was a famous event from Pennsylvania back in the 50's where several thousand people showed up for a march carrying loaded rifles. It was perfectly peaceful. Hope this one turns out the same way.

A-Train

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »

The bulk of those statistics are amazingly well manipulated.  You just have to know how to ask the right question and define the terms in ways that favors your own preferred outcome.  For example, studies showing that guns are rarely used to defend the home as opposed to killing someone else in the home typically define "defend" as killing an intruder.  Common defenses can involve displaying a gun, firing a warning shot, wounding an intruder, or, my personal fav, that amazingly worrisome sound of chambering a round in a pump action shotgun - any burglar who doesn't instantly flee when that noise comes from the master suite likely has a death wish.

Anyone want to bet what the statistics are from (pick a country, ANY country) on the number of deaths (murder, accident, suicide) of members of a household from kitchen knives vs. the number of intruders killed with kitchen knives?  Why do I suspect that these stats would show kitchen knives are much more dangerous to family members and much less dangerous to burglars than guns in the US are?

Statistically, dogs are much more likely to bite a family member than to bite a burglar (or even a postman).  Still, a largish dog is VERY high up on the list of burglary deterrents.

Feel free to check the burglary rates for Switzerland - where virtually every home has a gun (and I don't think they all keep large dogs).  They've also got significantly lower gun accident rates - simple evidence that proper training in how to safely handle a firearm will reduce unnecessary deaths far faster than trying to round up all the weapons from a populace containing quite a few people who won't cooperate due to either criminal tendencies or for Constitutional reasons.

A lot to chew on here, but just two comments on my part. One is that it's not enough to claim manipulation. You have to give some sort of evidence to discredit the statistics.

Secondly, regarding Switzerland. I think that is a perfect scenario. Again, I have no problem with people owning weapons, (I have three myself). The keys are to disallow ownership to unstable people and to train the owners.  But if the U.S. government tried to implement the system of training, tracking and denial of carrying permits, that law would die faster than a Mayfly on the interstate highway.

I also love the dog analogy. In the U.S. you have to register your dog and go in for certain shots periodically to "maintain" the dog.  If you tried to require registration of guns and periodic checkups of those guns quality or level of competency of the owners, you'd be branded the "New Stalin" and could expect a ceaseless run of negative TV ads on your behalf.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

CWL

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, tells Benghazi witnesses that "death is a part of life."

I wonder if he and the other members of his caucus share his views?  And, just how and why would those views differ when it comes to guns??? 

Yee Haw!