Guns

• 270 replies
Re: Guns
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »
LOL, meat garden. Could be a good band name.

Yeah, I know what you mean kitano. It is sport, for most people. Most American hunters don't really hunt out of necessity unless they're living a doomsday prepper survivalist lifestyle by choice. There is the "defense against wild animals" element. If I lived somewhere with bears in my backyard, I might see where owning a gun could be advantageous, but in reality that gun would probably have a greater chance of hurting me than the bear. I used to live in Texas and yeah we'd hear coyotes all the time but it never crossed my mind that I'd need to shoot one.

I have actually seen hunters with rifles while hiking in the deep backwoods of Yunnan. My husband tells me that in these really remote areas local officials sort of turn a blind eye to hunters. The rifles looked to be sort of DIY, and were definitely not the sort of thing you'd see any kind of criminal using. Now that's actual sustenance hunting (or poaching, in some cases), and in a country with some of the strictest gun laws on the planet.

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2013, 03:39:41 AM »
Lenny Bruce. Wonderful stuff. If we can't take his words to be funny stuff, then we're taking ourselves far too seriously. Great thread to all who have posted. I've enjoyed the liberals and idealists much. Not too sure how they would have fared in Houston this past weekend with the NRA. No, I take that back. I know exactly how they would have fared. They wouldn't have counted an iota of jism. Caley
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »

I meant that people don't hunt out of necessity. It is a sport though, food is grown not caught including meat

You're the last person I would have thought to use such a euphemism. Meat is "grown"?  Have you visited one of these "growth farms"? Makes it sound like some sort of encounter session. Do these chickens engage in "est"?

I was actually going to say 'raised' but I remember that website all about the food industry with the videos of animals on conveyor belts and so on...

I was struggling with the right term when I was writing that post but I think it was just avoiding planning tomorrow's lesson lol

A-Train

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:29 AM »

I meant that people don't hunt out of necessity. It is a sport though, food is grown not caught including meat

You're the last person I would have thought to use such a euphemism. Meat is "grown"?  Have you visited one of these "growth farms"? Makes it sound like some sort of encounter session. Do these chickens engage in "est"?

I was actually going to say 'raised' but I remember that website all about the food industry with the videos of animals on conveyor belts and so on...

...I think it was just avoiding planning tomorrow's lesson lol

Well, that's reason enough for ANY transgression.  Including meat consumption.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »
I've enjoyed the liberals and idealists much. Not too sure how they would have fared in Houston this past weekend with the NRA. No, I take that back. I know exactly how they would have fared. They wouldn't have counted an iota of jism. Caley

How high did the bounty get for liberals, idealists and gun control activists?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:31 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean kitano. It is sport, for most people. Most American hunters don't really hunt out of necessity unless they're living a doomsday prepper survivalist lifestyle by choice. There is the "defense against wild animals" element. If I lived somewhere with bears in my backyard, I might see where owning a gun could be advantageous, but in reality that gun would probably have a greater chance of hurting me than the bear. I used to live in Texas and yeah we'd hear coyotes all the time but it never crossed my mind that I'd need to shoot one.

I have actually seen hunters with rifles while hiking in the deep backwoods of Yunnan. My husband tells me that in these really remote areas local officials sort of turn a blind eye to hunters. The rifles looked to be sort of DIY, and were definitely not the sort of thing you'd see any kind of criminal using. Now that's actual sustenance hunting (or poaching, in some cases), and in a country with some of the strictest gun laws on the planet.

I've got nothing against hunting for sport, I think that it's legal pretty much everywhere

I would say to the 'back to nature' argument you should really make yourself a bow and arrow or a knife or something

A-Train

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 03:54:41 AM »
Houston NRA meeting.  You gotta see this sh!t to believe it. 

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/05/scenes-from-the-2013-nra-convention-in-houston-texas/#1

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 04:00:46 AM »

I've got nothing against hunting for sport, I think that it's legal pretty much everywhere

I would say to the 'back to nature' argument you should really make yourself a bow and arrow or a knife or something

I agree completely. It would be much more visceral and effective. But it is not "back" to nature.  It is already natural.  We've just managed to remove ourselves from such unpleasantness...or convince ourselves that we have.

The Hindu god Kali is my sponsor in this discussion. 

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:34 AM »
Houston NRA meeting.  You gotta see this sh!t to believe it.  

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/05/scenes-from-the-2013-nra-convention-in-houston-texas/#1

Oh the NRA.  kkkkkkkkkk I don't know whether to  ahahahahah or  ananananan at some of those pictures.

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 06:00:43 AM »
More fuel for the fire. As they say, only in America   kkkkkkkkkk

http://thestar.blogs.com/worlddaily/2013/05/in-gun-friendly-arizona-its-now-the-law-thou-shalt-not-destroy-guns.html

Protestors railed against the NRA in Washington D.C. last month, when the U.S. Senate voted down a bill that would tighten background checks for gun buyers. Last week in Arizona the NRA won another victory. The state Senate passed an NRA-supported law forbidding cities from destroying guns surrendered in buyback programs.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »
More fuel for the fire. As they say, only in America   kkkkkkkkkk

http://thestar.blogs.com/worlddaily/2013/05/in-gun-friendly-arizona-its-now-the-law-thou-shalt-not-destroy-guns.html

Protestors railed against the NRA in Washington D.C. last month, when the U.S. Senate voted down a bill that would tighten background checks for gun buyers. ...

It received a majority approval of 54 - 46. Cold comfort for those who want an need protection, but it's worth noting.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
I agree with all of this except the connotation that a "squirrel rifle" can be similar to an "assault rifle".  Is your squirrel rifle semi-automatic and can fire over 45 rounds per minute?  Does it have a 30-round magazine?  If so, you must really suck as a marksman and forget about protecting anything with it.

But, your larger point is well taken. The infamous AR-15 is a weak weapon an is used like a spray gun. Why anyone would want one can only be explained by EL's coolness factor.

It can pump out rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger.  I've got a pair of 30 round mags that clip together in an inverted fashion, so when the first runs dry, I eject, flip, reinsert, chamber a round, and can keep trying to thin out ETR's relatives. bababababa

As for massive knife assaults at schools, that particular aberration seems to be mostly confined to the Big Silly, at least so far.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »
I was watching Bill Maher tonight doing is opening comedy dialogue.

He was commenting on the NRA convention in Texas.  He said: "well at least it is good for the economy in Texas, the hotels, the restarants, and, oh yes the hookers cuz they really love men with small penises".   ahahahahah ahahahahah   bpbpbpbpbp
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

A-Train

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
I agree with all of this except the connotation that a "squirrel rifle" can be similar to an "assault rifle".  Is your squirrel rifle semi-automatic and can fire over 45 rounds per minute?  Does it have a 30-round magazine?  If so, you must really suck as a marksman and forget about protecting anything with it.

But, your larger point is well taken. The infamous AR-15 is a weak weapon an is used like a spray gun. Why anyone would want one can only be explained by EL's coolness factor.

It can pump out rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger.  I've got a pair of 30 round mags that clip together in an inverted fashion, so when the first runs dry, I eject, flip, reinsert, chamber a round, and can keep trying to thin out ETR's relatives. bababababa

Wow!  You must HATE squirrels. I was assuming, at most, a single-shot .22.  Maybe even an air gun.  Do the squirrels in your neighborhood shoot back? Receive military training from Hezbollah?  Sell heroine on street corners?  Now, I want to take a few shots at them.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
Wow!  You must HATE squirrels. I was assuming, at most, a single-shot .22.  Maybe even an air gun.  Do the squirrels in your neighborhood shoot back? Receive military training from Hezbollah?  Sell heroine on street corners?  Now, I want to take a few shots at them.

Nah, they're just smarter than EL    ahahahahah
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion