Guns

• 270 replies
Re: Guns
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
If Jesus' husband, John The Evangelist, had had a machine gun, then there'd have been no crucifixion and a whole lot of these problems could have been avoided.

#stillwasn'tcontraversialenough

A-Train

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »
If Jesus' husband, John The Evangelist, had had a machine gun, then there'd have been no crucifixion and a whole lot of these problems could have been avoided.

#stillwasn'tcontraversialenough

And if Christ had been born in the 20th Century, Catholic children would be wearing little, tiny electric chairs around their necks.
            Lenny Bruce
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
Way off topic, guys. There is no need to start bringing religion into this discussion. I don't quite know who Lenny Bruce is, some comedian I think, however, the quote from him is not related to the topic and unnecessarily offensive to a lot of people who do not come to the Saloon for that. I am sure that if they want to, they can find Mr. Bruce on Youtube.  Every time faith is brought up, it always gets messy. So please keep it secular, ok  agagagagag agagagagag.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »
Hunting wild animals for sport has nothing to do with food.

It does if you eat them. Personally, I never shoot anything I'm not going to eat.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »
Yeah, I've never been hunting myself but all of the people I know who go hunting definitely eat what they kill. Same with fishing. Where I grew up deep sea sport fishing was a huge deal and if the fishermen caught more than they could eat personally they'd give fish away to friends and even sometimes just people hanging out there at the dock.

This might be cultural? But in the USA you definitely hunt both for sport and food.

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 01:27:25 AM »
Way off topic, guys. There is no need to start bringing religion into this discussion. I don't quite know who Lenny Bruce is, some comedian I think, however, the quote from him is not related to the topic and unnecessarily offensive to a lot of people who do not come to the Saloon for that. I am sure that if they want to, they can find Mr. Bruce on Youtube.  Every time faith is brought up, it always gets messy. So please keep it secular, ok  agagagagag agagagagag.

Just to back etr up, I'll also say that let's keep the tone of the discussion respectful, on both sides. This is a contentious topic that has the potential to get pretty heated, and so far everyone has been pretty even keeled, so let's keep it that way.

A-Train

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »

Sorry about that. It's such an old, common joke that its offensiveness has long since evaporated for me leaving only the humor.  And, as a recovering Catholic, I've always assumed some right to tell it. Doesn't even seem to really be a religious joke for me anymore.  Can you imagine the response it received in the early '60's?

ETR; do a little reading about Bruce.  I'm guessing you'd have liked him. The video doesn't hold up all that well from the '60's, but he was a ground-breaking comedian; one of the first to bring social commentary into comedy and a hero of George Carlin. The Dustin Hoffman movie "Lenny" is not bad either.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

opiate

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »
All simple really- why the hell does an average person need a gun? It seems to be some power thing. It's not a weapon, it's a killing tool, plain and simple. You use a gun simply with the aim to kill what's in front of you.

What kind of normal person would want one of these, unless they were some psychopath in need of some kind of "control" over other's lives? I have not heard one normal reason justifying why anyone other than police or military need a gun.

Makes me sick.

I had a shotgun in my home since I was 18. It was for home defense. Thankfully I never had to use it for it's intended purpose. I wish I could have one here in China. I have a wife and child and would like to be able to protect them with something more effective than shouting.

I find your attitude to be more than a little disturbing and irrational. There are any number of legitimate reasons to own a firearm. Sport shooting, home defense, hobby, hunting...etc

AMonk

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
Personally, I don't like guns - in any manner, fashion, shape or form. 

However, I can see the point that my D-I-L's BFF made.  She stated that she lives out in the (US)countryside.  No close neighbours, but plenty of wildlife.  She has had coyotes and bears aoaoaoaoao wandering around in her backyard from time-to-time.  Under those circumstances, I can see good reasons for having firearms.

For me and Hubby (in our small home in Bda), a barking dog, a stout cedar billy club and a machete will suffice agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 02:52:17 AM »

Sorry about that. It's such an old, common joke that its offensiveness has long since evaporated for me leaving only the humor.  And, as a recovering Catholic, I've always assumed some right to tell it. Doesn't even seem to really be a religious joke for me anymore.  Can you imagine the response it received in the early '60's?

ETR; do a little reading about Bruce.  I'm guessing you'd have liked him. The video doesn't hold up all that well from the '60's, but he was a ground-breaking comedian; one of the first to bring social commentary into comedy and a hero of George Carlin. The Dustin Hoffman movie "Lenny" is not bad either.

I am sure I would. However, to some Saloonies the joke might not be as funny. People can be just as sensitive about their faith today as they could in the 60's. If you search around the Saloon, you will find numerous threads that descended into war due to comments on faith. I'm an agnostic, but I don't tell religious. Having decided to not belong to a certain faith does not bestow a right to make insensitive remarks about it. We have a BS Wrestling Pit for that.  agagagagag agagagagag

I would like to chime in and confess to owning not only one gun but two: an Eighteenth Century Dueling pistol and a late Eighteenth Century Blunderbuss. I am pretty sure I cannot fire them, albeit the curator at the Royal Danish Miltary Museum said they were in perfect working order. I actually had to get a permit to hang them on my wall, although I am pretty sure the swords, daggers and bayonets on it would be more efficient against a burglar.  agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

A-Train

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:51 AM »
Personally, I don't like guns - in any manner, fashion, shape or form.  

However, I can see the point that my D-I-L's BFF made.  She stated that she lives out in the (US)countryside.  No close neighbours, but plenty of wildlife.  She has had coyotes and bears aoaoaoaoao wandering around in her backyard from time-to-time.  Under those circumstances, I can see good reasons for having firearms.

For me and Hubby (in our small home in Bda), a barking dog, a stout cedar billy club and a machete will suffice agagagagag

I agree with you, but as a born-and-bred country bumpkin, I find it more than a little paradoxical that people from the city find country life dangerous and/or scary. I routinely hear coyotes, see large deer in my front lawn and have families of mice trying to take up residence in my basement, but the only real threat I'm under when home is turkey poop, bee stings and teenagers making out nearby. The last of which I have taped and posted to YouTube.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:45 AM »
Every time faith is brought up, it always gets messy. So please keep it secular, ok 

Sorry about that. It's such an old, common joke that its offensiveness has long since evaporated for me leaving only the humor.

I would like to chime in and confess to owning not only one gun but two: an Eighteenth Century Dueling pistol and a late Eighteenth Century Blunderbuss.

NnnnnYeahhh...that doesn't count. It's the sort of "gun" that Niles Crane would own.

Pearl S. Buck

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 03:08:02 AM »
@cruisemonkey and LD

I meant that people don't hunt out of necessity. It is a sport though, food is grown not caught including meat

A-Train

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:03 AM »

I meant that people don't hunt out of necessity. It is a sport though, food is grown not caught including meat

You're the last person I would have thought to use such a euphemism. Meat is "grown"?  Have you visited one of these "growth farms"? Makes it sound like some sort of encounter session. Do these chickens engage in "est"?

Pearl S. Buck

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:24 AM »
Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your meat garden grow?

Doesn't sound right somehow.