• 33 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Tomb-Sweeping Day
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
Sounds like a grave situation to me.
 bpbpbpbpbp
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

xwarrior

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 03:16:18 AM »
ummmm .... what days are you guys getting for Tomb Sweeping Holiday.

My college told me that we are having a 3 day holiday:
  • Saturday and Sunday - we do not normally have classes on these days anyway but this is China and if the leaders say 'holiday' they believe it's a holiday
  • Monday - now that is what I call a 'holiday.'

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
Sounds like a grave situation to me.
 bpbpbpbpbp

bkbkbkbkbk

We're getting Monday off too and I think that's what everyone gets. I was hoping for a Friday since I have Thursdays off anyhow but alas it was not to be.

Ruth

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 03:53:06 AM »
I haven't been told yet, but that's because I haven't asked.  That's how it works around here; ya gotta be proactive.  I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be Monday though, mostly because I don't have any Monday classes.  So much for the holiday  ananananan
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
Same for me Ruth. I'm off those days anyway.

Borkya

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
Yes, it is monday for me too. And I'm in the same boat as you Ruth! I already have mondays off!! asasasasas

I'll warn you, on our calendar we also have monday May 3rd as a holiday, though I'm not sure what holiday that might be. (Dragon boat day maybe?)

Ruth

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »
My guess is that Monday, May 3 is a holiday because the actual holiday - May 1 - falls on a Saturday this year.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

old34

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:38:41 PM »
Monday May 3rd is  an off day for the May Day holiday which falls on Saturday this year.

I do have Monday classes, so that's two Mondays off and puts those classes two weeks behind my other classes. We'll also get a Dragon Boat Wednesday off in June. Unlike past semesters, we don't have to make these up on weekends, but they tacked on an extra three days at the end of the semester where we'll teach Monday classes on Monday and Wednesday and Wednesday class on Tuesday so that it all evens out in the end.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
I just had it confirmed that we are off on Saturday, through and including Monday.  That works well for me, as Saturday is my only 8am start for the week.  And as I am scheduled for Thursdays and Fridays off, this gives me a lovely 5 day weekend!!  Happy??  Yes!!

Lin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.
 bxbxbxbxbx

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:56 PM »
Yep, Monday here in Dongguan. I'm really happy (for my students that is!) because I teach literature to the one and only class that day. Gave them some reading this Monday gone (we're now going to start 'The Grapes of Wrath') so at least it gives them 2 weeks to catch up. They already had a Monday off a couple of weeks back because of work experience too, so that also helped. Also assume the May holiday will be a Monday too, so there's another one. Week 16 (last teaching week), also holiday on Monday (Duan Wu). Happy all round!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

xwarrior

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
I do have Monday classes, so that's two Mondays off and puts those classes two weeks behind my other classes. We'll also get a Dragon Boat Wednesday off in June. Unlike past semesters, we don't have to make these up on weekends, but they tacked on an extra three days at the end of the semester where we'll teach Monday classes on Monday and Wednesday and Wednesday class on Tuesday so that it all evens out in the end.

As I see it you are not getting any holidays during this semester. By adding an extra 3 days to the end of the semester your school has negated the earlier days off.

Public holidays are set down by the govt and this one coming up is for 3 days. It is unfortunate that 2 of the days fall in the weekend when most teachers do not have classes.

Make-up days do happen around the time of a 3 day holiday - but only because schools tack on an extra 2 days to give a straight week of 'holiday.' Teachers and students should not have to make-up statutory days of a holiday.

I think the teachers at your school are being shafted. Anybody got any thoughts on this one?

- Bette Midler

old34

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »

As I see it you are not getting any holidays during this semester. By adding an extra 3 days to the end of the semester your school has negated the earlier days off.

I think the teachers at your school are being shafted. Anybody got any thoughts on this one?

No one here is complaining. It's better than the usual make-up days on weekends like in semesters' past. I use the last two weeks for finals (I give 1-on-1s) anyway so it's really no extra work. I'll have wrapped up all test and marks by that last Wednesday and on to 8 or so weeks of summer vacation (paid). Hardly shafted.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »
I have primary on Mondays to Thursdays, with this Thursday and Monday April 5 both off.

My Thursday business class is still on so I won't have an extended weekend. I now have Fridays and Saturdays off so this holiday is hit and miss with me.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

xwarrior

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »
No one here is complaining.

I guess if it does not worry you then it is not a problem.

Most probably the Leaders in most schools are (and always have) followed the practice of adding on. As many of us have found, getting a calendar of dates for a semester from the 'Leaders' from many institutions is impossible. It is impossible to tell if they have added on - and that is how they want it

A primary shool or high school back home has to be open for x number of days in a year but I do not know if there is any such requirement/limit in China.

I wish you a 'happy holiday' - even though you guys may not having a 'holiday' . . . and, come to think of it, I might not be either.

- Bette Midler

Dex

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 03:38:19 AM »
Monday off in Changsha. So that's a 1 day holiday in my humble view.

Nice that it coincides with Easter weekend, even if we can't buy large, overpriced chocolate eggs!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture