Need your OPINIONS please! CRAZY idea here! =P

• 14 replies
Need your OPINIONS please! CRAZY idea here! =P
« on: July 25, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
Hello everyone! Greetings from Korea! I just realized something. I was in heaven yesterday at the Lotte Market and thought to myself, I can't ride the plane back to the U.S. (I already paid roundtrip)because of the timing of going to China afterwards. Do you think I could just go to the airport (I already need to go there to drop off my rental phone), check in my bag and leave? And THEN, have someone pick up my luggage for me at home? Granted, I can replace my carry-on or luggage here for cheap. That way I can transport whatever goodies I have back home and feel somewhat better about not being able to use my return ticket I mean that is the least the airline can do for me since I won't be physically on the plane. They should at least ship my sh*t back...  ahahahahah

Opinions? Too crazy?

AMonk

Re: Need your OPINIONS please! CRAZY idea here! =P
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »
Depends on the security at the receiving airport. 

Most airports won't let people into the "Collect Baggage" area, unless they have a ticket and baggage-stubs to prove they own the luggage in question. 

Don't really think it's gonna work for you.  Sorry.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »
checking your bag then not getting on the plane is a good way to get arrested and cause a flight delay for everyone else. if you talk to them maybe they can work something out, but def not a good idea to check in and leave.

Ruth

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
What pydilyk said.  They won't fly the plane if someone's checked luggage and then not boarded.  They'll delay the flight and remove the baggage (which could blow up the plane).  Lots of security issues in place these days - all good, as they protect you and me as we fly.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
Yes, I was on a plane once that was delayed while they had to find and remove luggage. 

These guys will ship your luggage for you.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/usp.aspx
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
yeah, what everyone has said...bad idea will cause all sorts of delays for other passnegers. Find someone to ship the stuff back home for you so you don't ruin someones holiday with a seriously delayed flight.
Attitude counts for EVERYTHING

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »
Wow, learned something new today. I've never had any flight delays because of baggage so I guess it's rare. Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll try to work with them and give them a call, or I can just junk my roundtrip ticket. Oh well. Thanks again!

Ruth

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
Can you get a refund for part of your ticket, or at least extend it several months to a time when you might want to travel home?
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:25:41 AM »
HA, NO... you cannot unless you do the refundable ticket and even then it's $200 just to change PLUS the difference (if there is) with the new ticket... if it's applicable. This is Delta. My ticket from Korea to China is about $200 so WHY would I pay $200 just to change plus another $200??? I would just NOT fly home and be out a couple hundred but that's the AIRLINES for you...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »
Did someone call for a crazy idea???

There's a loophole.  Some airlines will let you ship your luggage on an EARLIER flight.  I met an airline employee who always sent her stuff that way.

The drawback is that international flights require you to get the luggage before getting into customs, so it still won't work for international shipping unless you've got a friend coming into the same airport from overseas at the same time (and maybe even in the same terminal).

Still, it could work for domestic flights where luggage access isn't very stringent.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
lol always fun to learn something some what useful! Thanks! =P

Wags

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
I'm curious as to whether or how you solved this. Did you get that suitcase back home? I ask as one of our new teachers has the same situation right now, I'd like to steer him well.

DS, have you used those guys yourself? It sure seems like a fairly nifty deal actually when all is considered.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Sorry, I can't help you here. I didn't want to have to deal with America's FINEST customer service reps... but I suggest you call and see what they can do for you.

I'm curious as to whether or how you solved this. Did you get that suitcase back home? I ask as one of our new teachers has the same situation right now, I'd like to steer him well.

DS, have you used those guys yourself? It sure seems like a fairly nifty deal actually when all is considered.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »
No, I haven't used them but I think one of the teachers here did.  Can't remember - serious jet lag - total brain fog.  bibibibibi

As far as I can remember they had no problems
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Martin

• It aint much if it aint Dutch
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
You recommended those guys to me a while back, because I needed to send boxes to the States. I didn't get the online inquiry form of 7-seas to work, so couldn't get info about the prices. I ended up just sending 4 boxes of 13 kg. each through the post office, slowest and cheapest option and I think that if you're not in a hurry, that would be the best (=cheapest) option.
No such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing