First of July - a day you MUST celebrate

• 9 replies

xwarrior

First of July - a day you MUST celebrate
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:51 PM »
1 July is the birthday of the C*mmunist P*rty of Ch*na. This year is especially significant as it celebrates the founding of the P*rty 90 years ago.

Although the day is not a public holiday, and I can find little in the news about it, I am sure there will be some kind of celebration taking place. You can also expect a general tightening up of controls in your area.

This may apply only to my area in Shaanxi but in the last 2 weeks there has been an increasingly concerted drive to 'tidy up'  the streets:

- Two weeks ago I walked into my underground (it is in a basement) DVD market to find all the DVD's had gone from the stalls. They had been replaced with CD's and software - but you can still get Windows 7 for 10RMB! A shopowner said the DVD's will come back on 7 July.

- Last week a start was made on washing and then painting all the barriers on the roads and streets of the city. As there are mega kms of these there were many workers on the job.

- On Saturday the 10 km road from my college into the city was being groomed by gangs of workers. The verges were being weeded and pathways cleared of rubble. It looked like property owners were responsible for cleaning their frontage as many workers from the factories were working alongside villagers. The road now looks 100% better than before.

- On Sunday I noticed that some of the massage places were closed - on a day that is  usually one of the best for business.
There are not many beggars in this city - on Sunday I could not see one.

- Yesterday traffic in the downtown area was totally controlled. There were teams on every intersection controlling traffic, including 2 policemen on every pedestrian crossing.
All motorbike taxis have been disappeared.
There is not a street vendor in sight in the central city.
In addition 'student volunteers' from military colleges in our area controlled every pedestrian crossing and bus stop through the urban area. Dressed in their army uniforms they had red caps and red flags to show they were there to help people be civilised citizens.

The village across the road has not escaped the general housekeeping operation. When I got back from the city a large group of chengguan were clearing stalls from the street and checking on shops and restaurants. This is very unusual because it is rare to see a uniform of any kind in the place - I have only once seen a policeman and he was in a restaurant with his friends.
An hour after the chengguan left I was in one of the small restaurants when the owner returned to show the staff 4 impressive looking documents - business licence, etc. - and the staff were suitably impressed.
The owner of a liquor store came in on a delivery and asked how much they cost. They both had big grins as they compared prices for legal documentation - Y4500 for the restaurant and Y4000 for the liquor store. They both knew they had swung a good deal.

These events may not be related to the birthday but there is certainly a concerted drive to make this a 'civilised' city before a certain deadline. The people are certainly getting the message and there is a rather sombre mood in the streets.

Anything happening where you live?

* It may pay to carry documents with you when travelling until the celebrations are over.

** For some background on the birthday check out:
  http://www.ethjournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4153:the-steersman-in-a-long-march-towards-a-developed-prosperous-and-harmonious-china-the-unwavering-commitment-and-strong-leadership-by-the-communist-party-of-china-cpc-&catid=18:current-issues-and-events&Itemid=50

I do not know whether to  ahahahahah or  ananananan

agagagagag

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: First of July - a day you MUST celebrate
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Ah good.  Another reason to party like it's 1949.
agagagagag btbtbtbtbt vvvvvvvvvv btbtbtbtbt agagagagag

(Too bad about the DVDs and massage places.)
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
July 1 is also Canada Day, and my last day of work for the term. I think I'll celebrate.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »
"you can still get Windows 7 for 10RMB!"

Will it work properly though or what?
"The soldiers carry our hatred for us, and they do our killing for us. So do the police. We carry morality for them."

Paul

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
Yes, it will work. Disable all intrusive stuff such as automatic updates and any other nasty things that Microsoft tries to do to you.

But 10 RMB!!  That's 2 bottles of baijiu!  You could use the baijiu to celebrate the CP's birthday.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:53:55 AM »
Think anyone in New Jersey would find it odd if I donned my "I [heart] Mao" shirt and drink baijiu?
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
Think anyone in New Jersey would find it odd if I donned my "I [heart] Mao" shirt and drink baijiu?

I'm sure the good citizens of NJ will be happy to join in the celebrations! agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:06:18 AM »
It's New Jersey what have they got to celebrate cept for the Devils and Martin Brodeur?  ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Happy 90th CCP!
cecececece btbtbtbtbt agagagagag btbtbtbtbt vvvvvvvvvv btbtbtbtbt agagagagag btbtbtbtbt cecececece
All those failing to enjoy the celebrations will be remolded.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »
Happy 90th CCP!

What's the expiration date on this silliness?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion