How much are you worth ??

• 5 replies

xwarrior

How much are you worth ??
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
Many think that Chinese people do not value human life but a report on EastSouthWestNorth (Jan 16) gives lie to this.

Following the shooting of two men by a policeman in Guizhou the local government offered the families compensation. It was based on the following:

According to the Supreme Court's Explanations about the appropriate laws to determine compensation, there are four ingredients:

Death compensation = (average city/town resident average disposable income per annum) x 20

Burial compensation = (average city/town resident average disposable income per annum) x 0.5

Child rearing compensation = (average city/town resident average disposable  income per annum) x (18 - age of the child of the deceased)

Alimony compensation = (average city/town resident average disposable income per annum) x 20 x (number of elderly family members) / (number of siblings)

In 2009, the average disposable income per capita is 11758.76 yuan.  In the case of Guo Yongzhi, he has a 9-year-old son, two parents and six siblings.  Thus, there should be 235,175.20 yuan for death compensation, 5879.39 yuan for burial compensation, 75,142.89 yuan for child rearing compensation and 47,709.77 yuan for alimony compensation.  The total adds up to 363,907.24 yuan.

How much would your governmentt pay out in similar circumstances??

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: How much are you worth ??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Let's see... carry the one...

Wow!  If I'm killed, the compensation would come to 32 yuan and 7 jiao.   amamamamam
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
multiplied by the number of clones, and your hive could turn quite a profit

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
3 bottle-caps and a candy wrapper, here. bibibibibi

But they're not paying things like this out to everyone, I think...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
Interesting.

Watched a few Chinese movies recently, and paying out for someone getting killed was a feature of several of them, notably Blind Shaft.  Also, the signing of documents. 

About seven years ago now a Russian teacher at my then school drank himself to death one weekend.  Scuttlebutt around campus was the family got 1 mil in compensation.  Seems unlikely tho, I guess.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
I'm sure the US government would pay a nice sum in the form of a 30+ year annuity after a lengthy trial that would require the family of the deceased to pay a lawyer + court fees. This settlement would likely leave the family in debt.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG