Book Reveali Real Chinese never taught in school

• 8 replies

xwarrior

Book Reveali Real Chinese never taught in school
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »
Over on chinaSMACK is a review of a new Chinese language book, "Niubi - The REAL Chinese you were never taught in school." It looks like an essential primer for those who learn most from being out in the street.
Parental Guidance Warning: If you are under the age of 18 you shouldn't be teaching in China

I think it is high time a similar book was produced for teaching 'Oral English' in China. Have you ever seen an English textbook dialogue that has 'bloody', 'bastard' etc etc.?

At some pont in my courses I tell the students that they are learning the language of textbooks, and I will now tell you about the language we really use. 

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Book Reveali Real Chinese never taught in school
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
I snagged a copy of that in the HK airport back in November.  I'm sure that for an expert, it's terribly limited.  For me, it was a great set of additions to my rather limited Mandarin vocabulary.

The book even breaks down some of the slang by region.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
I'm firmly convinced that the ability to curse something awful in Chinese is an essential survival skill for living in China. (Probably true in any  country, even at home...) Among myriad other benefits, if you have the skills and tools to administer a verbal bleachin' when required, you're probably a little less likely to just go upside somebody haid.

Chinese slang, curses, and insults have been in books of varying quality for a long time, but it's not that hard to pick it up if you apply yourself. I also made up a number of new ones myself that, judging from the changes in skin tone they evoked, seem to have worked just fine. uuuuuuuuuu

But I HAVE seen the English version. I once had a copy of the brilliant English As A Second F**king Language, but a student stole it. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
Niubi - The REAL Chinese you were never taught in school" was one of my Christmas purchases for myself. Found it in the university book store. I like that it explains the few regional differences. My teenage Chinese (step) daughter was a bit aghast but I reminded her of all the "street" education I have been providing her and all's good now.
Now to get my wonderfully sweet taitai (太太)to tell me what she uses in Shanghai and what her family uses in Changchun?   While swearing in any language may be considered crude if you've mastered the language sufficiently to swear like a local laborer and do a put down like the local snobs one has come a long way toward understanding the language. bjbjbjbjbj aoaoaoaoao

AMonk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
I once had a copy of the brilliant English As A Second F**king Language, but a student stole it. asasasasas

Despair no longer, Jefe.  Amazon has this available @ $7.95 ababababab  They also have (for pre-order) Dirty Chinese: Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*%# Off!" @ $8.00 bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:24:07 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:15:22 AM »
Sounds like a good book. I know that, for me, when it comes to practical, everyday words (like, say, "coin") you can tell me how to say it a 1000 times and I'll forget a 1000 times. But tell me a swear, even if it's a long phrase, once and I'll remember it forever.

Monkey King

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
I have a mate who has been here ages and his Chinese is atrocious, but put the guy on a bar stool and he can come out with HanYu to shock the most jaded of XiaoJie.

There's a couple more of this kind of book around - I have 'Making out in Chinese' and 'Extreme Chinese', though they don't seem to be as comprehensive as this one.

I am also getting a couple of copies of that "English as a 2nd F#### language book" when I am home next.  They will make great gifts for my more open-minded local friends.

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:11 AM »
English as a 2nd F#### language

Google Books have enough pages from this book to give me a few minutes serious reading  afafafafaf but I got really excited by the offer from another link:

ebooks download, download free english as a second f cking language

Even though the site did not provide a download link it did offer assistance in the form of:
Are you dont find Results ??!
Enter The title of the book you need and your email and our system will email you when it catch it:

WTF While I usually go for anything that is 'free' I restrained myself from taking advantage of this generous offer.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Schnerby

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:40 AM »
I'll admit my Chinese is limited - but it certainly improves with a bit of a tipple. The problem with a book like this is I would remember its contents and come out with them whilst under the influence. It's happened before, it will probably happen again.

Besides, I had the very best in Chinese profanity teachers. A group of drunk, male, Chinese university students trying to one-up each other by being more filthy/offensive or using regional slang that others didn't know.

The things I learned that evening...  kkkkkkkkkk  ahahahahah