• 53 replies

cindy

why the begging from Raoul to post?
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:55:56 AM »
I was just curious.

AMonk

Re: why the begging from Raoul to post?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »
.....possibly....because he has to pay the mortgage on this place, and he can't do in without selling the drinks.  The more drinkers at the Bar, the more $$$ in teh register, and the faster the mortgage gets reduced.

Besides.  We're a friendly bunch, and we love to make new friends and hear new voices on this joint.  Welcome!  Glad you chose to post.  Name your poison....it's Newbs round, I believe.  (I do the Toasties, by the way).
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:46 AM »
He made you beg and you actually bought it? Darn  uuuuuuuuuu

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »
Begging? Well, I certainly ask. Encourage, even, maybe.

Why?

Well, several reasons.
For one, posts are what make this place tick. They're what we do here. Without posts, we don't have a forum. We like posts a lot. We want more of them. And we want them from lots of different people and viewpoints. If you really don't want to post, we'll probably go ahead and accept the lurking. But it's oh, so much nicer when you post.

Also, well, it might turn out that you're actually a nice person who could have something interesting/funny/useful/worthwhile to say. If so, we'd like ya to say it to us. And I kinda hope you won't feel all shy or nothin'...which some people apparently do.

Aaaand, simply joining in silence conveys no benefit to anyone. New members can't see or do anything that can't be seen or done as a non-member guest. Which, uh, begs a question in return:

Why on earth would someone go to the trouble to join a place like this and then not do anything?

As a host of this Saloon, when you join it's my job to try to make sure you get the most possible enjoyment and benefit out of being here. So yeah, I might try to provoke a post out of ya.  wwwwwwwwww

And I see it worked.  uuuuuuuuuu

BTW, above joking aside, this site is utterly non-commercial. I don't make a single thin dime from it, whether you post or not. Neither does anyone else cash in on you here, long as I'm still able to reach the shotgun under the bar.  bababababa

I hope this helps.  agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:48:02 AM »
This is a good forum and without any particular vested interest in it, I have to say that I notice that its posting rates aren't that high... Surprising considering that most are based in China where, let's face it, we do get a lot of spare time...
It is too early to say.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:56:49 AM »
Thanks, ConDog...
This forum in all its incarnations has always had a certain fairly large proportion of totally inert members. So do all the other forums. I've never been able for the life of me to figure out why.  mmmmmmmmmm

I've heard it said that we are a particularly close-knit and somewhat intimidating group. Oy, if only they knew...  bibibibibi

By the way, for the guests and new members...there ARE parts of this forum that you can't see. We go there to talk to each other without an audience. The only way to gain full admission to all the forum is to <ahem> post.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:58:23 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
Yerrrrs. The purpose of a Forum is for posters to post. The more the better! Some posts(and posters)make complete sense......others are total fluff! But every one makes the place more interesting and informative. It also provides an educational function in that I get to correct all the spelling mistakes.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
Cindy. If new members don't post, the rest of us are stuck listening to George.

Please post more Cindy. Pretty please.

moon over parma

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
I venture to guess that many new members aren't posting because they're not in China yet? Outside of a few weeks in Shanghai twice in a lifetime - I can't rellyy bring a lot to the Chinese part of the table - yet. I can comment on Hong Kong, Shanghai, the little island that China get itself worked up about (and has loose cultural ties to), and ask questions.

Maybe it's time for the newbies who haven't psoted yet to ask questions for the old hands to come in and voice off on?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:29:55 PM by moon over parma »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
the little island that China get itself worked up about (and has loose cultural ties to)

Australia?

moon over parma

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
When I first joined, I lurked more than I posted.  I was a little afraid to post as I was afraid I would say something wrong or make a mistake or have someone laugh at me.  After awhile I got used to the humour and realized nobody (even Mr. Nobody)really picked on anyone (except George of course).  I started replying to posts.  As it got closer to my coming to China, I posted even more. 

There was a saloon party in Suzhou 1 week after I arrived in China.  I made arrangements to go to the party.  Con booked a hotel for me and when I arrived Ruth, Crippler, Con, George and Babe met me at the hotel.  We all went out and had a fabulous time.  It was a fantastic week and Raoul and everyone made me feel so welcome  ahahahahah --  Both online and in person. akakakakak

Just because you are in Canada or USania, or Australia or in another country, you can still post.  You can ask questions, or answer the silly fluff banter or even comment on the serious questions.  We will become your friends, but you have to post in order for us to know you.

I hope you understand why now.  agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Newbs

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »
the little island that China get itself worked up about (and has loose cultural ties to)

Australia?
tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt tttttttttt
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:33:41 PM by Newbs »

Newbs

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »
Stil, my apologies, I stand corrected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1949448.htm

Some guy who is a s p i r i t u a l leader to a province that is, always has been and always will be part of China is visiting Hoganland at the moment.  Politicians on both sides of the fence have been, well, fence sitting.  Should I or shouldn't I meet with him?  George, it has been particuarly amusing to listen to the Liberals getting themselves into knots over this one.

And so, let's get back on topic.  Post away people.  Moon, I take your point about not being in China and hell, sometimes I feel that separation.  But to hell with it, DS has nailed it.
Just because you are in Canada or USania, or Australia or in another country, you can still post.  You can ask questions, or answer the silly fluff banter or even comment on the serious questions.  We will become your friends, but you have to post in order for us to know you.
And what you said about Raoul being welcoming. bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:31:01 PM by Newbs »

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:35:27 PM »
i was just like dragonsaver..when i first took my sit on/in (i hate preposition!!) asasasasas i asked more than i joined the conversation but after a while it made me feel more comfortable.

i havent visited the saloon  for quite a long time and it made me feel really bad..this is where i chill out..seeing people discuss..reading healthy mental intercourses...

if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road