Happy Landings, El Jefe

• 76 replies
Re: Happy Landings, El Jefe
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
You need a reentry permit/visa for USAnia?  gggggggggg
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Riz

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
Have a good trip dear friend. Hope you will real bagels and burger king back home. I wanna do Indian curry for you when you are back someday.And I make awesome Samosa if you have a palate for Indian food buddy.
Cheers.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.

AMonk

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »
You need a reentry permit/visa for USAnia?  gggggggggg

No.
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 11:02:35 PM »
Don't eat the tomatoes!!
""    *  June 11, 2008 - 10:47AM

The tomato industry in Florida is in complete collapse and $40 million worth of tomatoes will rot unless the source of a salmonella outbreak can be quickly traced, an industry official said today.

There have been 145 reported cases, including at least 23 hospitalisations, related to the salmonella outbreak since mid-April. The infections were caused by Salmonella Saintpaul, an uncommon type of the bacteria.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Saturday warned US consumers that the salmonella outbreak was linked to eating certain raw red plum, red Roma, and red round tomatoes, and products containing those tomatoes.

Several major restaurant and grocery chains have stopped selling those varieties.""
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
And they will now be dumped onto several third world markets at a very cheap price, to save the farmers back home.

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »
I can only imagine the delight of his first Slurpee in 7 years.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
I made it!
At Mom's, safe and sound. Sleeping off the jet lag and the days of little or no sleep.

It sho'nuff weird here... aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Ruth

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
Glad to hear you arrived safely.

What was security like at the airport?  What about driving where everyone stays in their own lane?  What about the silence?  Blue skies?  Oh, so many questions. 

Sleep first, then report, please.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »

It sho'nuff weird here... aoaoaoaoao

Don't doubt it. I remember thinking..."did half the population die while I was away, or has it always been this dead?" aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2008, 08:47:49 PM »
Yay agagagagag agagagagag Good to know our beloved despot is home safe and can look forward to tucking into some homemade grub.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »
Ok, look boss, you have now been home for almost 2 days.  bibibibibi  No comments about mamma's food.   llllllllll  No comments about food period!  asasasasas llllllllll   cbcbcbcbcb

We are eagerly awaiting an accurate, up to date properly constructed message regarding your re-assimilation into USAnia.   agagagagag  Jet lag be durned   cbcbcbcbcb

Tell us what is happening or I will phone the local yodel glee-club to serenade you until you capitualte  aoaoaoaoao ahahahahah ahahahahah agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
OK...still sleeping it off, but at least getting to a point where I can sit up for more than 5 minutes without drifting off...

Still pretty quietly ensonced in my Mom's amazingly beautiful lake home. But even the little I've seen has presented very real wonders and challenges...

- It's all so clean and orderly here! Oklahoma seems to have somehow become...Switzerland or some such. No trash all over the place, inside or out. And public bathrooms demand that you read a sign to find them; it's inconveniently impossible to smell them from outside.

- People are so laid back and nonchalant. An elevator door opens, and everyone inside doesn't leap to all try and squeeze out of the door at the same time. Boarding is called for a plane, and yet people form a nice orderly quiet line instead of all demanding to go in first.

- There's so much empty space! Just no end of land here not being used for agriculture, commercial property, or even housing. It's just...out there, doing nothing at all.

- It's just damn quiet, too. I know I'm in a lake home, but I still haven't heard any construction noise, loud but distant conversations, car horns, or much of anything else except an occasional chime from an antique clock, the wind in the trees, and various species of (strangely uneaten) lake wildlife.

- Was trudging through Chicago's O'Hare Airport, about time to fly on to Tulsa. I was dying of thirst...the long haul on jetliners and perhaps some of the...navigation aids...I may or may not have consumed earlier, were combining to leave me painfully dehydrated. I couldn't buy another cola...I was already in the secure area, and bottles no allowed there. It was just me and this long corridor, unmarked except by this one piece of inexplicable plumbing-related equipment. It finally occurred to me that the odd device was in fact a drinking fountain, and that walking over and pushing a button would let me drink my fill of Chicago's Finest. Which I did, and it was excellent. bfbfbfbfbf

- It's amazing to see diversity again! I got off the flights here to see waiting rooms full of Blacks, Latinos, whole troops of sari-clad Indians, Orthodox Jews, non-Chinese-speaking Asians, mouthy white girls wearing chador...so many different kinds of people! Well, I had to just squat down, insert a finger in a nostril, and have me a good long stare. uuuuuuuuuu

- There's also a huge diversity of English. Not everyone around me is trying, with varying degrees of success, to talk like me: The Living Avatar of World Standard EnglishTM uuuuuuuuuu
The Chicago brays, the urban black talk, the Spanish-accented language of different Latinos, all gradually merging into inbred redneck cracker as I got closer to Tulsa, have been music to my ears...

- I was really surprised by the composition of the fairly full flight I had coming over from Shanghai. When I came here 20 years ago, and on more recent trips, the international flights were nearly all Whitey, with a few Asians sprinkled around to make it look exotic. This flight was mostly Chinese, with enough Whitey sprinkled around to make it look exotic.

I had several instances of being surrounded by Asian people, but being the only person who could speak Chinese. I did have one conversation IN Chinese, in Chicago, with a nice old man and his wife who were here from Inner Mongolia to visit their huaqiao daughter, who herself was glad the old folks got to talk, yet definitely distrustful of un-naturalness of this dangerous svengali wild honking Chinese-speaking hoodoo-man whitefella lurking the airport.
But I think the old parents were as relieved as I was to have things make sense again for a few moments...

More to come...Mom says that chest freezer is full of ice cream. So, more research...and more sleep! bfbfbfbfbf
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:12:50 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
OK...ya wanted to know about food. So remember...you asked for this. uuuuuuuuuu

Woke up this afternoon after fitful periods of sleeping interspersed with brief moments of sitting up wondering what the hell.

I was just in time for dinner: shrimp cocktails bursting with fresh prawns the length of my hand. Enormous char-grilled strip sirloin steaks, ladled with fresh mushrooms sauteed in black peppercorns and red wine, plus fresh asparagus spears and baked potatoes stuffed with butter and sour cream. All washed down with Chilean Merlot and icy-cold Dr. Pepper. Follow-up will be blackberry cobbler and vanilla icecream.

Maybe tomorrow on that last part...I think we're all going back to bed now. uuuuuuuuuu agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 05:59:09 PM »
fresh prawns the length of my hand.

In deepest, darkest Oklahoma?? ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Yer hallucinatin' again, Laoban. ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Acjade

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »
Must have been the mushrooms. uuuuuuuuuu

All the best laoban. jjjjjjjjjj

Must be overwhelming being with the family again after so long. Give yer Mom a big hug everyday and eat a few of those hand-sized prawns for me.  bfbfbfbfbf