Australian as she's spoke

• 16 replies

xwarrior

Australian as she's spoke
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:02:06 AM »
From http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11226985

Drunk Aussie Busted on motorised 'esky'

Officer In Charge Sergeant Darryn Morris said while the case was unusual, it was no less serious.

"Due to the fact it is a petrol engine (the esky) falls under the ambit of a motor vehicle under the Traffic Act," Sgt Morris said.

"Some people aren't aware that if they're riding a wheeled object, the footpath is also deemed a road under Queensland legislation."

"It is a serious issue due to one, the amount of alcohol he had on him at the time and two, in relation to those using these motorised devices that can cause serious injury to themselves or other people."

What the esky contained:
• 10 tallies of beer
• Two bags of cask wine
• Up to six cans of bourbon

A drunk Aussie is not unusual and most New Zealanders can figure out that an  'esky' is an Aussies 'man bag'. What I could not understand is the reference to '10 tallies of beer'!

Tallies? If you want to know what a 'tallie' is check out the word using Google or refer it to Wikipedia. When you find a reference let me know!

(Actually, I can guess the meaning and it has nothing to do with counting)   
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

opiate

Re: Australian as she's spoke
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:16 AM »
I thought I'd look up tally....thinking it was the singular of tallies.

I regret that decision.
http://www.restoringtally.com/blog/2010/08/patent-penis-foreskin-stretching-instrument

xwarrior

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »
I regret checking out your link!   bibibibibi

Anyway, has anyone found a definition for the word 'tallies' as used in the report?

awawawawaw

- Bette Midler

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
i am wondering if it is being used like we used to use the word stubbies in canada as a descriptor to describe the bottle the beer came in. ie a tall bottle vs the regular bottle

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:49:38 AM »
i am wondering if it is being used like we used to use the word stubbies in canada as a descriptor to describe the bottle the beer came in. ie a tall bottle vs the regular bottle

Remember the old LaBatt's 50 in the stubbies? I used to think you had to be over 50 years old to drink it   ahahahahah   :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic:
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:32:51 AM »
Red Stripe still comes in stubbies. I think Labatts 50 was the first beer I ever stole from my dad.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 03:35:56 AM »
I think a tallie is a large single serving of beer like a 750ml/16oz can.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
I've never heard this before. I would assume it applies to tall-necked bottles, as opposed to short-necked bottles, but Queenslanders are a weird mob, so I could be wrong.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

xwarrior

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
Yes to Stil,DD and adamsmith. We are still awaiting a ruling from Judge George but I am pretty sure you are on the right track.

I think this word is following the Australasian rule of adding 'y' or 'ies' to words, Other examples include 'brekkie', chrissy', 'gummies', 'hottie', and 'rellies'.

In any case, we may well be the first to spot this word in print because I cannot find a reference to it in the usual sources.

The word 'stubbies' is also used in New Zealand. Originally, it referred to a pair of very short shorts and was derived from the Stubbies brand of shorts that became popular in the 1980's. Males of this era would cringe at the thought of anybody wearing them. Later, when small bottles of beer came on to the market they were referred to as 'stubbies.'

While I was typing this George got out of bed to give a definitive ruling on the word.  agagagagag 
- Bette Midler

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »
G'day guys! The blokes and hotel staff I know, refer to large bottles of beer as tallies here in Queensland. Stubbies are the small bottles. bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag  Looks like someone has put a lot of thought into the mobile esky. ahahahahah ahahahahah

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Bloody hell, 60 years in [South] Australia, and I've never heard of a "tallie".
However, its just a local measure word. Yi tiao yu, liang ping pijiu are Chinese e.g's you may recognise.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
Up to six cans of bourbon

This raises 2 critical questions:

1.  Did the officers on the scene drink all the evidence and lose count when they got to this category? mmmmmmmmmm

2.  Bourbon comes in cans? mmmmmmmmmm
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
Tallies.  We used to call them tall boys. Which looking back sounds really faggy. Hey, I want to suck back 3 tall boys and a stubbie. Yup, gay.  ahahahahah
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Tallies.  We used to call them tall boys. Which looking back sounds really faggy. Hey, I want to suck back 3 tall boys and a stubbie. Yup, gay.  ahahahahah

Haha, yeah, I grew up in area with a lot of Brits.

"You goin' to the corner? Grab me a few tall boys and some fags."

Seemed perfectly reasonable then.

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 04:29:02 PM »
Up to six cans of bourbon

2.  Bourbon comes in cans? mmmmmmmmmm

Yep. Pre-mix with cola typically. Much loved by male Bogans [look that up]. Good for getting chicks pissed in the back seat of the Commodore [that too].
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.