The devil is loose in the United States!

• 23 replies

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: The devil is loose in the United States!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
True that. IMHO the mainstream and now the alternative media is all about fear mongering. Every time you turn on the news here it has a sensationalist slant. Alex Jones and his ilk aren't much better, they are just operating outside of the mainstream and their following is a little more fanatical. I follow both, but I find the alternative media outlets more entertaining.

BubbaBait, what country are you in?

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
Jolly old England.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
What media outlets do you listen to?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
The problem is that mixed in with the insane babblings on that website at the beginning of this thread, there is one very legitimate complaint.  The US Supreme Court made the biggest screw up in decades when they allowed government at every level to mis-use the power of eminent domain for economic purposes instead of restricting it to specific governmental needs.

This means that your city or county commission can force you to sell your property at what they determine to be fair market value, and turn it over to a developer.  In once case, this resulted in a locally owned tire store being forced to sell.  He wasn't even given the option of leasing his prior location back to keep his business going.  In it's place, they put a Sears Tire and Auto service center.  Sure, they owner was paid for his land and building, but his business was destroyed for no legitimate reason.

That little incident in 1776 began over far lesser provocations.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »
^ my parents were forced by the city of Grantsburg, WI to give up several acres of land for a road that pretty much goes nowhere. They used the newer eminent domain laws to snatch it away.

Private property will be a thing of the past probably within our children's lifetime.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
OK, this is now officially getting weird(er).
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
I'm a Coast to Coast AM addict so this is very usual stuff.
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
What media outlets do you listen to?

At the moment...

BBC IMHO just OK

PBS NewsHour IMHO better

Jon Stewart  IMHO worth the time

In general, I hold the view that daily news broadcasts are almost worthless, even in newspapers, except when they report specific incidents (The President has been shot! The war is over! Jesus is back, and is he ever pissed!) and setting our clocks running. I think more reflective sources are best. The Sunday Times, both NY and London, often contain articles that someone has spent more than an hour researching. Unfortunately, they often take more than ten minutes to read, thus being ignored by the avarage citizen.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »

The problem is that... your city or county commission can force you to sell your property at what they determine to be fair market value, and turn it over to a developer.  

I heard about this.  Very disturbing.  Annexing property to build a road or a hospital when necessary is one thing; sometimes the public interest requires it.  But forcing someone off their land to put up a strip mall is a sinister act.

Bubbabait, is there some parallel to this in the U.K.?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com