Literally

• 10 replies

xwarrior

Literally
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »
Note: I this topic over from "Jokes in My Trashbin" because people get really serious about this word.  bjbjbjbjbj How serious?
 :wtf:

Literally tearing your hair out

Even the part-time pedant rises up against a misused “literally” – but have we all got it wrong?

By Toby Manhire In The Internaut Print Share 21st November, 2013 Language  Leave a Comment

Even the mildest pedant will very likely rage at misuse of the word “literally”.

As every Listener reader knows, it is not some workaday intensifier. It is deployed to mean the opposite of “figuratively” – that is, the true sense, the essence of words. (Slate had a history of the word a few years ago.)

And then along comes the Economist’s Prospero blog, where Robert Lane Greene writes: “It is literally impossible to be literal.”

What?

The very oldest meaning of “literally” described it as “of, relating to, or of the nature of a letter, or the letters, of the alphabet” (Oxford English Dictionary). It is only by extension that ‘by the letter’ has come to mean ‘real things in the real world’. And that jump makes literally—are you sitting down?—a metaphor.”

With the exception of nouns such as “rock” and “tree”, Lane Greene continues, just about everything we say is a “metaphorical extension of some other word.”

For example, you cannot use “independent” without metaphor, unless you mean “not hanging from”. You can’t use “transpire” unless you mean “to breathe through”. The first English meaning of a book was “a written document”. If we want to avoid all metaphorised language (If we want to be “literal”), we must constantly rush to a historical dictionary and frantically check that there is no concrete meaning historically antecedent to the one we hope to use. In every language, pretty much everything is metaphor—even good old “literally”, the battle-axe of those who think that words can always be pinned down precisely.

Despair not, however. As long as enough of us stick to our metaphorical guns, literally means what we mean it to mean. “The body of educated English speakers has decided, by voice and by deed, that ‘literally’ does mean something real in the real world,” writes Lane Greene.

“Widespread educated usage is ultimately what determines its meaning. And perhaps that is concrete enough.”
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Literally
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
There's a great Louis ck bit about how people misuse words like awesome and hilarious

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »
ironic
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
This is literally an awesome post, very unique. English is a rather awful language.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »
English is a rather awful language.

I think English is literally bizarre (and that's concrete enough for this cement-head).
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:32 AM »
Genius

NATO

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
This is great. Sent it to a 'Murrican friend who likes taking the piss out of the way we Southerners (UK) sometimes say 'litchrally'.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
If what he writes is to be taken seriously, and most words have only metaphorical meaning, then his argument itself is, well, not exactly true, but rather... meaningless.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
If what he writes is to be taken seriously, and most words have only metaphorical meaning, then his argument itself is, well, not exactly true, but rather... meaningless.

So his arguments are literally meaningless

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
literally in the figurative sense

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
literally in the figurative sense

And I've seen your figure  bibibibibi