Broken Windows Installer

• 36 replies

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: Broken Windows Installer
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool doesn't work. Everything seems good... until I get to step 4 of 4 when it stops and says -
"We are unable to copy your files. Please check your USB device and the selected ISO file and try again."
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
I've never had that happen, but apparently it's sufficiently common there's a known fix, as described here:

https://4sysops.com/archives/windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool-wudt-is-unable-to-copy-files/

NB: where it says "Launch a command prompt with admin rights", that means, in Windows 7, go to the Start menu, type "cmd" into the "Search programs and files" box, then where you see the "cmd" program pop up in the list, right click it and select "Run as administrator".
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
Update -
PowerISO worked and I have made a bootable USB with Windows 7 Ultimate and pre-activation. It's 3.63 GB. However, there is only 2.43 GB free on (C:) drive on the HP laptop. I uninstalled as many programs as I dared (3 antivirus programs, Google Chrome/Earth, Open Office, Skype etc.), but can't 'free up' more than 2.96 GB on the drive.

I restored the computer and have everything back now (and only 2.43 GB free on (C:)).

If I try to install Widows 7 Ultimate, what will happen? Will it 'overwrite' Windows 7 Starter and use the GBs currently being taken up by it... or, will it 'crash' and leave me with a totally useless computer?

Also, what will happen to all my current programs if I install Ultimate? Will they automatically be 'transferred'/accessable/usable... or, will they disappear and have to be downloaded & installed again?

There is a 'Racer.exe' program that allows the computer to connect to to my ISP (China Unicom). If I lose it, the computer is useless. I wouldn't know how to get it back, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to set it up because everything is in Chinese.

What's my next step?

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 02:11:52 PM »
Update -
PowerISO worked and I have made a bootable USB with Windows 7 Ultimate and pre-activation. It's 3.63 GB. However, there is only 2.43 GB free on (C:) drive on the HP laptop. I uninstalled as many programs as I dared (3 antivirus programs, Google Chrome/Earth, Open Office, Skype etc.), but can't 'free up' more than 2.96 GB on the drive.

I restored the computer and have everything back now (and only 2.43 GB free on (C:)).

If I try to install Widows 7 Ultimate, what will happen? Will it 'overwrite' Windows 7 Starter and use the GBs currently being taken up by it... or, will it 'crash' and leave me with a totally useless computer?

Also, what will happen to all my current programs if I install Ultimate? Will they automatically be 'transferred'/accessable/usable... or, will they disappear and have to be downloaded & installed again?

There is a 'Racer.exe' program that allows the computer to connect to to my ISP (China Unicom). If I lose it, the computer is useless. I wouldn't know how to get it back, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to set it up because everything is in Chinese.

What's my next step?

Are you satisfied there are no other fixes to try and find? If you go ahead with an install disk you'll have two options: (1) try using it to "repair" your existing installation, or (2) use it to replace your existing installation.

The repair option, if available, does not replace you system. It attempts to fix your system. It is accessed by booting from the usb stick. When you boot, you should be warned that "Windows" (the one on you USB stick) has detected another installation (the one on your hard disk), and you'll be asked what you want to do, repair or install. You can choose repair. I'm betting it'll report that it is unable to repair owing to, in effect, not being the original disk.

The install option, if you choose it, really should be accompanied by formatting the disk. Normally, an installation will take place alongside whatever you have. They won't merge. You'd end up with two Windows installations on the same hard disk. But with just 2 or so gb free, likely that installation will not go ahead anyway. Something more like 10 is needed, and if you want it to be functional over time then at least 20.

In other words, either Windows setup from the install disk can repair what you have, or you have to format your hard drive, erasing everything, and make a fresh install. (Or find some existing fix for the original installer problem.)

If you are lucky, then everything Racer needs to make it run is located in it's own directory. You could copy the contents of that directory to somewhere safe - another computer or an external hard disk - and copy it back to the new operating system.

This Racer thing, according to the Chinese internet it's your broadband login client. Unless you have a copy of the installation archive for that too, you'd better NOT go ahead with a fresh windows install.  llllllllll

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
Options:

(1) copy all the racer files and directories to some different computer, then copy them back to the target computer after you format everything and make a fresh install.

This is NOT your best option. It could be that Racer keeps everything in its main directory, but this is Windows and there may be essential files laying about in all sorts of odd places. Without the original install archive, you are NOT guaranteed of being able to find and save everything in one place.

(2) http://www.10010.com/#

If China Unicom are not complete retards, then they have somewhere online an option to download essential software. And if it is anywhere, it's probably at 10010, their online support site. And it's all in Chinese. Somewhere in all that fluff there should be a downloads area and you can get the original racer for yourself. You're looking for "上网应用软件" (internet application software) or something like that.

:alcoholic:

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »
The other thing though is, is that software vital? Ordinarily, if you know your broadband username and password, you enter them into Windows:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection of network > Connect to the Internet > Broadband > [details] > connect

How about disconnect this racer thing, and try setting up your own connection through Network and Sharing Center? If it works, you don't need this Racer, and you're free to screw up your computer as much as you like.

BrandeX

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »
"There is a 'Racer.exe' program that allows the computer to connect to to my ISP (China Unicom). If I lose it, the computer is useless."
Impossible. If it was required to connect, no one could use a router. It's more likely a "helper program".

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »
"There is a 'Racer.exe' program that allows the computer to connect to to my ISP (China Unicom). If I lose it, the computer is useless."
Impossible. If it was required to connect, no one could use a router. It's more likely a "helper program".

Whatever. I've created a new, broadband connection... and copied the 'Racer' file folder... and 'setup_365' Application (which seems to install racer) to a USB... on which I just 'backed up' the computer.

I've 'read up' on the process and have http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm for reference on my Lenovo desktop... and now, I'm going to perform a clean install of my new, Windows 7 Ultimate from the bootable USB.

Wish me luck... I may be posting here in an hour or so, going  llllllllll

One question though -
What happens during the installation process when it gets to the point where Mr. Gates asks me for a Product Key Code? The torrent I downloaded says "Pre-activation".

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »

Whatever. I've created a new, broadband connection... and copied the 'Racer' file folder... and 'setup_365' Application (which seems to install racer) to a USB... on which I just 'backed up' the computer.

Note well: just copying the directory is very iffy. Windows programs put libraries and whatnot in all sorts of arcane directories. It is not at all guaranteed that everything you need for running Racer is in that main directory.

But... you created a new broadband connection? And it works? Without Racer? So you can ditch Racer entirely? (And you should probably give "setup_365.exe" a trial run and see what it does. It could be Office 365)

I've 'read up' on the process and have http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm for reference on my Lenovo desktop... and now, I'm going to perform a clean install of my new, Windows 7 Ultimate from the bootable USB.

Wish me luck... I may be posting here in an hour or so, going  llllllllll

One question though -
What happens during the installation process when it gets to the point where Mr. Gates asks me for a Product Key Code? The torrent I downloaded says "Pre-activation".

Check the notes and comments for that torrent at the torrent site. Either you have a genuinely pre-activated copy and you'll never get asked to enter a code or you have copy that can be cracked by some extra step where you install a small program or move a file to a directory. A careful read of the notes and first few comments should reveal all.

Yi lu shun feng

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
From the comments, it seems to be genuinely pre-activated (I haven't got that far yet).

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
Shit!... something is wrong.  llllllllll

Referring to -
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

All goes well until Step 18 of 34 (3 of 15, Part 2), when instead of going to Step 19 of 34 (4 of 15, Part 2) 'Windows is updating registry settings', it goes back to the 'beginning' and displays the same window as in Step 5 of 34 (5 OF 15, Part 1). It's stuck in an endless 'Installation Loop'.

I've tried shutting down the computer and starting again (from BIOS with the bootable installation USB 'on top'). It does exactly the same thing again after Step 18. It won't proceed to Step 19.

Now the computer really is useless. HELP!

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:47 PM »
I 'spoke' too soon. It seems to be continuing as it should now (I guess I wasn't waiting long enough when it went 'back to the beginning')... now, it seems to have finished.

I have a (very sparse) Windows 7 Ultimate desktop screen showing... and will hook the computer up to the Internet (means disconnecting this computer)... and see if I can get online.

I'm not religious, but I'm going to pray.
bfbfbfbfbf

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
Praying does no friggin' good!

I can't connect to the Internet... because there's no driver for the network adapter.

Where do I get a driver... and how do I install it on a computer that isn't connected to the Internet? I've just spent 40 minutes on the HP support site - it's impossible to navigate!

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:36 PM »
http://www.hpdriver.net/hp-pavilion-dm1-4142nr-windows-7-drivers/

CAUTION: is your HP Pavillion dm1 also a 4142nr? If not, you likely need some other driver download site.

The particular driver you're looking for, assuming 4142nr is right, is the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver. Also, yeah, it's a good idea to have the drivers *before* changing the operating system. On the bright side, if the LAN driver works, probably Windows Update will have the other drivers for you.

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:47 PM »
Alternatively, start here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html