Beware of Jinan's International Volunteers Foreign Teachers of Harmony English

• 28 replies
They Deceive Foreigners. Beware of Jinan's International Volunteers Foreign Teachers of Harmony English Teaching Experimental Research Center

Company name: International Volunteers Foreign Teachers of Harmony English Teaching Experimental Research Center     OR    
Shandong Provisional Modern School Culture Institute in Jinan

School name: Dong E Primary School (the largest elementary school in Dong E county, Liaocheng)

Better known as  Harmonious English or The Jinan Cultural Center; they’ve been in business for three years and counting. This recruitment company deceived us (along with many others) for over four months resulting in a loss of over 12,000 rmb (for two ESL teachers). We know of at least four other teachers who work for Harmonious English who are still owed money and or have left the company because of it. Please feel free to contact us if you want further details because we have pictures, the office address and paperwork documenting that this company is not to be trusted. Please be careful because China has been a very rewarding, fun and enjoyable experience but there are companies like Harmonious that give the ESL industry a very bad name. They are not as they appear to be or trustworthy.

We are out 4,285 rmb ($628 USD) from the plane ticket (the school gave us 5,000 rmb). 2,730 rmb ($400) for the L Visa including the cost of expedited services. 1600 rmb ($235) as the December living allowance because the school withheld this in favor of Harmonious “paying us back”. Harmonious is also withholding 2,000 rmb each (4,000 rmb total for the both of us) for January and February’s living allowance because they fear that we may not want to work for them any more. I wonder what would make them think that? And finally, Harmonious advised us to go to Hong Kong for the final F Visa run in which they would reimburse us the 6,000 rmb (3,000 each) that it costs us to renew our Visas. The numbers are overwhelming for anyone. Please be very cautious if you consider working with International Volunteers Foreign Teachers of Harmony English Teaching Experimental Research Center/Shandong Provisional Modern School Culture Institute in Jinan because they may and will change their name.

We are an American couple in our twenties and wanted to teach ESL in China. We researched through www.eslteachersboard.com and this was how they found us. Introducing himself as Tom Pei (he no longer works with Harmonious English), through email he offered us two ESL positions in Liaocheng, Shandong Province. Tom was very thorough and one of the reasons why we accepted this job. He answered all of our questions very promptly. Questions about the Z visa, hours, salary, location, housing, plane ticket reimbursement, class size, etc. What he couldn’t answer, he promised to find out ASAP and he did. We eventually tweaked the contract to our liking and thought that he worked for the school. He said that his company pays us but we work directly for the school and it’s an “Experimental School”.

After three months of unanswered questions and stress, we finally discover that neither Harmonious English nor the school had the license to hire foreign teachers. Harmonious English kept this disclosed from the beginning, acting as though they were going to convert our L Visa to a Z within one week of arriving. When we addressed our concerns over not having a Z visa the school and Harmonious English told us we had a residence permit so it was unnecessary. This was to get us to China. After a foreigner has spent $700+ USD on a plane ticket and packed a year’s supply worth of luggage to teach English, once you’re there, it just makes it easier for Harmonious English to give excuses, to lie, to stress you out, to deceive, and eventually out of a lot of money. And the worst part was that the school, we also trusted, and in the end you always end up losing. We know that as the new semester on March 1st approaches, Harmonious will be lurking this website and others like it, in search of new foreign teachers. Can you blame them because they have a history of unhappy and financially inept foreign teachers? It’s not unlikely that they look for more to replace the former ones that have come and gone (minus a couple thousand RMB). Harmonious is holding conferences as we speak, to bring in more gullible schools, more schools who “must” have foreign teachers. More money, money that they don’t pay to the foreign teacher. Please be warned and read more for details.

We made it very clear that we wanted to work in China legally, on a Z Visa. After hearing different answers about whether or not an L Visa could be converted to a Z Visa we confronted Tom Pei about it. He said the school semester started already on September 1st (it was September 9th when we started talking to him) and that he really wanted and needed us. Tom said a Z Visa would take longer to apply for (than the L) and agreed to put in the contract that Harmonious English would pay for the L Visa and convert it to a Z within one week of arriving. We paid an extra $80 USD on expedited L Visa costs in Harmonious English’s favor because they needed us “last minute”. They said they would pay for it so we bared the costs in good faith.

Once we arrived to Harmonious English’s Jinan office and the school, we immediately asked about the Visa. Tom Pei told us he had to go to college prior to us arriving in China. By this time, Tom Pei’s new replacement was Cindy Zhang aka DanDan (Skype). We asked Cindy and she ALWAYS said, “I’ll ask my leader.” However, unlike Tom, Cindy never followed up. It was ALWAYS “I’ll ask my leader…”

We even asked the school about it. They said they would contact the Jinan office and that it should be okay because they were taking our passports down to the local Police Station to register us. The next few times we asked Cindy about the Z Visa she finally answered, “We are working on getting it…”

Finally, a month passes and we ask again about the Z Visa and the payment on the L Visa. This time the answer was different. “We are working on getting the license to get your Z Visa… Oh? And we NEVER pay for the L Visa to get here… I’ll have to ask my leader…” Another popular answer was, “My leader is not in the office today. I’ll call/ask him on Monday…” Cindy never got back to us about the L or the Z Visa until two weeks before our L Visa expired. The other “funny” thing was that the school and Cindy were giving us two different dates to when the semester ended. The contract said that during the Winter Holiday we would only be paid 1,000 rmb each person per month as the living allowance. When asked multiple times, Cindy eventually said that our teaching stopped on December 31st and would restart on March 1st. The school told us January 31st, but Harmonious pays us so we took their word for it. Ultimately, this resulted in a lot of stress and confusion as the school’s contract with Harmonious ended in December but their school semester ended in January. They wanted, expected us to work… for free because Harmonious wasn’t going to pay us…

After repeated, “I’ll ask my leader… Oh we never pay for the L Visa, I’ll ask my leader… My leader is not in the office… I’ll call him on Monday and ask him…”, it came down to three weeks before our L Visas expired. After we asked her, Cindy requested a copy of the first page of our L Visa even though she already had the first photo page. Another week goes by and we’re down to two weeks. We ask Cindy again. “I’ll ask my leader…” The reply that took almost three months to answer became, “Oh, you know the ‘rules’ have changed… The leader has a “good friend” and will get the F Visa for you…”

We don’t want an F Visa. We want a Z Visa, the one you promised us or we would not be here. There are plenty of schools that will have us working here on an L Visa. We are working with you because you told us you would give us a Z. Then Cindy’s answer became, “Oh, the F Visa will cost the two of you 4,000 rmb each and you have to get there yourself.”

That’s when we drew the line. Harmonious English owes us an L Visa, a one-way plane ticket and they don’t even have a license for a Z Visa. We refused to pay 8,000 rmb up front for an F Visa. Cindy promised that as long as we kept the receipts, Harmonious would pay us back. We reminded her that they still owed us money and that the company should pay THEIR good friend up front rather than reimburse us. Cindy said their accountant (they don’t have one) has to have receipts before she could pay us and that was her final answer. Harmonious didn’t seem to care about whether or not we stayed because we already worked three months out of the four month semester. Who did seem to care was the school, which had paid the Jinan office in full for over 1,500 English books (which honestly, is a horrible English book filled with many grammatical errors).

The Jinan Cultural Center aka Harmonious English, sells books to schools and per 1,000 books sold the school gets a foreign teacher for three months. The students pay 59 rmb each for this cheaply made grammatically incorrect English book. These kids pay for the ESL teacher’s salary. Unluckily for us, the school paid for these Harmonious English books in full, leaving them no power over matters directly following the payment given to Harmonious. Books paid for. Check. School no longer a concern for Harmonious. Most schools don’t pay for the books in full.

Later, we even found out the school’s contract with Harmonious included that all responsibility fall to the school if the teachers were to leave. The school was also responsible for our one-way plane ticket. Out of courtesy and the kindness shown to us, we trusted the school more than we did Harmonious. That eventually backfired as well.

Dong E primary school was very kind, “sincere” and cooperative from the beginning. The school laid out to us that they knew and understood our stress. They enjoy having us teach for them. Dong E offered to pay for the 8,000 rmb up front and that we don’t tell Harmonious. When Harmonious reimburses us, Dong E would be paid back. We warned the school that are you sure you want to do this? Harmonious has a reputation for doing things last minute and there is a good chance that this “friend” of theirs may not even give us a Visa as promised. They said that they knew this and that they were willing to bear the burden of solving this problem, keeping us as foreign teachers and making everyone happy (the students who paid for the books and the school board). They told us this. We trusted them.

We trusted the school and with one of our Chinese English-speaking collegues, embarked on this wild goose chase to Qingdao to get our supposed F Visa. Through miscommunication on Cindy’s behalf, we managed to pay an extra five nights of hotel fare because we need not arrive as early as we did. After applying for the Visa and returning to the school, three days later the “friend” calls and tells us we didn’t get the F and instead, we got a one month extension on the L Visa. If a foreignor goes to the Local Police Station on his/her own accord, they can get a one-month extension free of charge, hotel costs and hassles. What we could have got for free costs the school 5,500 rmb to the “friend” for his “services”. Even after that, we finish two more weeks for the school and another bomb drops.

The school deceived us into thinking that they would bear the burden, but they did not. The school held back 5,500 rmb from our one-way air ticket because they said, “Harmonious will pay you…” Will they? Have they? No. Aside from trusting the school, the worse part was that the school admits that they “must” have foreign teachers for next semester. They will get foreign teachers at any cost, even at the cost of hiring them illegally and disclosing this information from them.  The school first tried to hire us themselves without using Jinan, we declined because we would still not have a Z visa which we demanded.

Picture of the Office Workers (the Woman on the left is Cindy, the man in the white shirt is the Leader, and Dale is on the right but we have no encounters with Dale.:
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy234/BewareJinan/Jinan-Arrival2.jpg
Picture of their book:
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy234/BewareJinan/Book1.jpg
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:57:18 AM by ChinaChao »

друг всего мира

• Видна из Кремля вся советская земля
    • Russian Club Shanghai
One big item although only two words caught my eye here :

TOM PE

For anyone that does not know him, be forewarned.  He is on a par with Frank Zhang, if not worse, and he has had more "names" and "aliases" and "stories about his employment" then Frank Zhang, or at least as many.  Long-time China hands who are resident in provinces above Fujian should recognize his name.  Deadly.  Duplicitous.  Oh-so-polite without a word of truth.  The master of bait-and-switch and godmother of all lies.  He specializes in sending unsuspecting teachers to small cities in the middle of nowhere, hours from the nearest prefectural seat, that absolutely do not have the right to hire foreign teachers, cannot hire foreign teachers, and in those rare instances that they can actually hire foreign teachers, do not have the slightest idea how to do it.

I am sorry that China Chao and friend got caught up in his machinations.
Дурака учить - что мёртвого лечить.

Hello. Thanks for your advice. Are you sure these are the same people?
Tom Pei and Frank Zhang

As in they work for eachother and are connected?
I've read some really bad things about Frank but I 
haven't read about any instances concerning their 
Jinan office.
They are a big company. You would think they could 
spare to pay us back a "measly" couple thousand RMB 
since they're such "rich" bottom feeders. Go figure.

One big item although only two words caught my eye here :

TOM PE

For anyone that does not know him, be forewarned.  He is on a par with Frank Zhang, if not worse, and he has had more "names" and "aliases" and "stories about his employment" then Frank Zhang, or at least as many.  Long-time China hands who are resident in provinces above Fujian should recognize his name.  Deadly.  Duplicitous.  Oh-so-polite without a word of truth.  The master of bait-and-switch and godmother of all lies.  He specializes in sending unsuspecting teachers to small cities in the middle of nowhere, hours from the nearest prefectural seat, that absolutely do not have the right to hire foreign teachers, cannot hire foreign teachers, and in those rare instances that they can actually hire foreign teachers, do not have the slightest idea how to do it.

I am sorry that China Chao and friend got caught up in his machinations.

друг всего мира

• Russian Club Shanghai
Frank Zhang ostensibly operates out of Pudong District Shanghai.  A friend of mine showed me this online program in Chinese that lets one reverse check any mobile number in China including cards bought off the street.  His mobile, which is really listed to his own name, came up with a Pudong District Shanghai address.

Tom Pe's, on the other hand, came up with a Jinan address.

In my dealings with both, Zhang was obnoxious and aggressive but he produced some really, really high paying jobs for me, one which I regret not taking.  Both job were with major players.  Pe, on the other hand, produced middle-of-nowhere, no work permit jobs and then he would do a lot of bait-and-switch even with that.  For me, personally, Pe was the sleeze.  Zhang was just a Shanghai businessman at its best.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Beware of any entity in China that has the word "Volunteer" in it. A definite red flag, no matter who runs it. asasasasas
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Yes. Dearly noted after every thing.
And to think, the "Leader" is the one telling Cindy, we're afraid they won't teach for us next semester. Hold their 5,500 RMB hostage even though I told them more than once, through a verbal promise heard by over 7 people, that I would pay them... by January 15th. It is now February 6th. God, times like this I really do wish I could sue American style...  llllllllll

Beware of any entity in China that has the word "Volunteer" in it. A definite red flag, no matter who runs it. asasasasas

George

• My view of China
China, please check your keyboard. Your font "selection" is not easy on the eyes!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
I think the language setting is Chinese, and then when you toggle between them using 'shift' you get dodgy fonts like this, plus the spacing is different.  Drives me nuts when my students don't select English as the language when they do their assignments.  The punctuation marks are all wonky then as well.

CC - what now??

Iknow. I can't do anything about it!I'm using one of those dreaded "Chinese font" computers that defaults it to this ugly font every now and then!
And trust me, I tried to change it on Microsoft 
word too and it just defaults back!It's very frustrating and it's because I'm at my cousin's apartment and they don't have wireless or a router...  asasasasas

China, please check your keyboard. Your font "selection" is not easy on the eyes!

Yes, about the crazy font. I'm like O.C.D. about that font stuff too... aoaoaoaoao Anyways, what now is that I move on... AND try to spam every friggin ESL site about them... WARN OTHERS.

Pray and cross my fingers that they will no longer be able to hire foreignors, go bankrupt and eventually see the "leader" on the side of the road selling oranges... Oops, did I type that out loud? Actually, I "secretly" wish I can pose as a possible ESL teacher candidate and then leave them high and dry for the next semester... Anyways wishful thinking and apparently this type of stuff always happens. By gones...And all we wanted was 5,500 rmb. I'm not even asking for the supposed L Visa we came here on that they were "suppose" to pay for.

Whatever. As everyone points out, nothing much more to do. Move on? Get deported because TIFC?? Ugh...

I think the language setting is Chinese, and then when you toggle between them using 'shift' you get dodgy fonts like this, plus the spacing is different.  Drives me nuts when my students don't select English as the language when they do their assignments.  The punctuation marks are all wonky then as well.

CC - what now??

друг всего мира

• Russian Club Shanghai
I am a little confused with all of this.

Forgive me, I thought that you and your friend had secured new jobs and a proper visa situation. This is so critical for each of you. Is this not the case?

ONCE you have secured new Z visas, you can actually sue them. Because in China the process is like this :  now you are ostensibly on an improper visa and thus to take any action against them would put you and your friend in great peril for sure.

ONCE however your visas have been changed / corrected / amended to a Z visa with residence permit, the Chinese government considers your situation to be totally legal and your past has been cleared so to speak.

AT that point, you write down every penny that they owe, in a detailed account, with a copy of your contracts, your passports and new visas in hand, and head straight for the No. 2 Commercial Claims Division of the People's Court.  Plead, cry and do whatever you want to get the clerk at the court to "receive" your complaint.  Here that is 90% of the battle.  Often the clerks will refuse to receive the complaint.  If and once the complaint has been received, here is how matters will go.

Unbeknownst to you, the Court will most like make a discrete call to these people, asking them to avoid disturbing the Court (which is really a division of the PSB here).  That is maximum pressure and those idiots should understand it.

If they refuse and if the matter actually is heard in the People's Court, and if you can prevail, a little, or even at all, read this carefully...

If you win, the Court will award you the amount it sees fit (usually your claim plus damages) BUT THEN the Court always punishes the looser with a punitive amount for "disturbing the peace of the Court".  That is amount is usually equal to 3x whatever the Court awards you.

So if you win, and the Court awards you RMB 10,000 plus RMB 2,000 in damages (standard format), that is RMB 12,000 and then the Court will usually punish the others with additional RMB 36,000 (3x your amount) for their having disturbed the Court, Court fees, your lawyer fees, etc., etc. for a total of RMB 50,000.  And no, not like in the States, they can't promise to pay at a later date...they pay now or they sit in jail until they can come up with the money.  It's harsh justice but it works.

So please legalize your situation, don't worry about others, and then place the matter in the hands of the Court.  Even if they try to use "guangxi" to dispose of the matter, it will still cost them more money than your claim.

Yes, yes, I have the right visa! Thanks and sorry for the confusion. I'm not jumping the gun just yet, but does anyone else know about if what друг всего мира wrote, is it true? Because everyone seems to have already said to just give it up... give it up with the exception of write about it and tell others, which I've already done...Also, thank you because I have written on most of the links/websites you posted for me. Thanks again.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
So much depends on the guanxi the local school bosses have with the local government.  Beijing may say 'x' but if you look carefully, often 'y' happens.  Your old bosses didn't have enough guanxi to get you proper residence permits, but the place was small enough so that every single official in town knew that you were there, and no-one questioned you or stopped you working.  So any complaints to Beijing will most likely go first to the province, then to the prefecture, then to the city officials for investigation.  How deep do you think this investigation will be - especially if one of the local officials has a child or nephew being taught by one of the new FTs??

How much time and money do you want to waste on this?  Do you want to have to go back to court, have officials turn up at your new school to interview you (and in doing so, talk to your new bosses) who MAY perceive you as a trouble maker???

You've warned everyone, you've moved on. 

друг всего мира

• Russian Club Shanghai
With all extreme due respect, I take grave exception to parts of the last post, and this is based upon MY own workings with the People's Court System.

1.  As the previous poster writes, "officials turning up at the new place of employment"?

What a scare tactic. Hardly, it will NOT happen.  Once the court thing begins, it actually
    follows similar procedures as in the West.

2.  The guangxi issue, yes, indeed, but if they couldn't arrange your working papers, I strongly
    doubt that they would have enough guangxi to dispose of this matter.  They can and may
    perhaps try to buy it off, but that will cost them a pretty penny.

3.  China Chao, do NOT be cowered by all of these nay-sayers.  If you are on a proper visa now,
    then you absolutely have legal standing to do the right thing by you.

4.  I worked in a similar school in a Central China years ago, in a place of the highest degree
    of corruption.  I did exactly what I told you to do.  We never went to Court because as
    soon as the Court "informed" by a discrete telephone Party B was about to happen, the
    School became exceptionally reasonable and forked over RMB 35,000 in disputed wages.
    And a letter of release, even though my new school had already secured a new residence
    permit and a letter of recommendation (tepid at best, but still one).

After it was all over, and we had to sign a Court-mandated settlement, the FAO decided that
   he would call my new school and stir up things.  He did call.  I learned of this. I went
   back to the Court as part of the agreement was "cease and desist" so to speak.  Another
   telephone call was made to the School asking if they really wanted the agreement
   and the court case opened again.  Guess what?  The headmaster of the school fired the
   FAO.

Well, I'm another nay-sayer. You might be able to persue it further, but my gut feeling based off of my experience here (which, granted, doesn't include suing rougue recruiters!) is that you should let it go. I guess I feel like you've already invested so much time and energy into this place that I just wouldn't want to invest any more, especially if it could end up costing you more money in the long run. I might do it if I was owed 35,000RMB, like our Comrade here is talking about, because that would be much harder to just walk away from. But you're talking about 5500RMB each, right? I don't think it is worth it.

I think you've done a good service to future FTs by posting your story. As for money lost, just consider it a very expensive lesson.

There is a post somewhere around here (possibly in the library? Does anyone else remember what I'm taling about?) from a teacher who successfully reported his school I believe. If you're hell bent on taking this as far as it goes you might look there first and perhaps contact that fellow.