• 6 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Dodgy Job Ad #2
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:31 AM »
(Contributed by MK)
Teaching in beautiful Zhejiang Province, China

We are the Zhejiang branch of some school . In Zhejiang province, we co-operate with several Primary schools and kindergartens in Hangzhou and Ningbo, which is 1-2 hours away from Shanghai by train. We prefer to recruit experienced ESL teachers with TESOL or related certificate however we regard patience, enthusiasm and responsibility very highly and we welcome all applicants with those personal qualities. .The age of students range from 7 to 11 years in primary schools and from 3 to 6 years in kindergarten. All the textbooks and teaching plans will be offered from our head of office in a big city nearby.

For more information of Zhejiang Province, please view the web site as below:
http://www.dontgothere.com

Dates and Duration
1    Oral English Teacher Position in Kindergarten (Ningbo)
(From september 07, 6months or 12months, we need 2 teachers) 

2    Oral English Teacher Position in Primary school (Hangzhou)
    (From september 07, 6 monthers or 12 months, we need 1 teachers  )

Working Condition and Environment

The schools will offer every teacher the office desk, free access to internet. We provide teaching materials and teaching guideline.

Living Conditions , Salary , international travel allowance

The salary ranges from 6000 RMB to 8000 RMB per month according to your experience and educational background. You have to pay the rent by yourself since our salary has included the rent cost. For an individual apartment, the average cost here is 1500RMB per month depending the location and how long you will rent it. We will rent it for you before you arrive here or help you to find one as soon as you arrive here. If you are unable to get a flight to Hangzhou directly then we will pick you up at the airport in Shanghai. The daily living cost here is about 30-40RMB.

We will offer you part or full international travel allowance depending how long you work for us.  We will pay you a return ticket (5000RMB) if you will work for us one year.

Work load

This is a full time offer, the working time is from Monday to Friday .The teaching loading will be less than 17 hours per week

MK's Comments:

If you are interested in the job, please get your fucking head read

This job ad is not even a particularly egregious example, but it is full of half truths or outright lies.  Here's why:
English teacher wanted...

“…in Hangzhou and Ningbo, which is 1-2 hours away from Shanghai by train.”

Clever.  Hangzhou, yeah, I’ll give you two hours, on a good day.  Ningbo is 4-5 hours.

“The daily living cost here is about 30-40RMB.”

Sure, if you plan on NEVER GOING OUT OR DOING ANYTHING FUN!  Hangzhou and Ningers rival Shanghai for prices.  You will get one beer in a fancy bar for that price.  Maybe two in a dive.

“You have to pay the rent by yourself since our salary has included the rent cost.”

Oh, suddenly that 6000 a month you are offering for 17 hours a week is looking pretty shabby.  Add your bills in, and oh dear…

“For an individual apartment, the average cost here is 1500RMB per month…”

Yeah right.  See comment above about prices in Hangzhou/Ningbo area – Your pad is not exactly gonna be palatial at that price.

P.S. I know it's possible to get by on a salary like this, e.g. Uni' jobs will often pay less than this. However, they will usually include free accommodation, and hours ought to be low enough that you can easily supplement your income if you wish.

For what is basically a training school on the Eastern seaboard, this is not a good deal.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Monkey King

Re: Dodgy Job Ad #2
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:26:51 AM »
Haha, the 'get your...head read'  bit was meant to be a humorous alteration of the last line of the advert which gave the schools contact details.  I guess the comment still stands on it's own though.

However, I also just noticed that they offer a sweet 'office desk' as one of the perks! Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:18:06 AM »
No, ya definitely shoulda been.

This ad is a perfectly fine example of one version of of a tactic commonly seen in job ads for China...and one that I have particularly come to hate.

It's this one: "The average Chinese person here lives on 1800 RMB a month. So see how generous our miserable 4000 RMB a month salary is? Why, you will live like a king here! Sure!"

There IS some element of truth to this. And therein lies some of the problem.

I live in a rich town. I know places here that routinely hire Ph.Ds for 4000 a month, and are turning people away. And these aren't mail-order Ph.Ds...these are REAL Ph.Ds in hard subjects that ya have ta do homework an' stuff.
Zhou Baijiu, the "average Chinese person" over at the ball bearing plant, DOES indeed get by on 2000 RMB a month. Often much less even than that.

Here's what they DON'T tell you.

Zhou Baijiu wakes up at 5, does his morning toilet, and eats a bowl of thin rice soup with a little pickled vegetable while sitting in the tiny kitchen of his tiny, cramped, poorly- or non-airconditioned 6th floor walkup apartment.

By 6, he's walking (or taking a 1-yuan bus) to meet his company shuttle bus for the 2-hour ride out to the sprawling factory where he works. There, after joining some mild exercises and repeating some exhortatory phrases bellowed at him from loudspeakers, he turns to his work of pushing a big red button when a light turns green, causing another batch of ball bearings to proceed from the Casting Area to the Annealing Area.

He bag production until 11ish, when it's off to the cafeteria for a company-subsidized dish of rice, stir-fried vegetables, and a bit of meat and/or fish.

After lunch, if he's at one of the cooler factories he gets an hour or so for a nice healthy snooze in a chair somewhere. Then, it's back to work.

At 5:30, he gets to clock out and climb back on the factory shuttle for the 2-hour ride back across the city to the stop nearest his home. Then it's the walk (or another city bus ride) back to the hacienda, and the 6-floor climb back up to his dingy, sweltering (or freezing), concrete warren of a home. Here, his bored, exhausted, bitter, neglected wife (who has herself just put in a similar day over at Number One People's Pharmaceutical Factory) and government-mandated One Child will join him for a dish of rice, stir-fried vegetables, and a bit of meat and/or fish.

Then, it's free time. There's a kung fu movie on CCTV-3. Or hey- Tonight Is Kinda Special, so he puts on his pajamas and heads downstairs out to the sidewalk with the home boys, to play cards and talk shit and drink enough baijiu to temporarily forget the long dull grey tube he exists within. (Meanwhile, we expats wonder why they all stare at us.)

By 10 o'clock it's off to bed. After a few moments of consort with his good lady wife (if she's not complaining about something again) he snoozes away in anticipation of doing the whole thing again tomorrow. He's lucky. He's got a good factory job and isn't out for 14 hours a day trying to scratch a living out of the agricultural countryside...or worse yet, a migrant worker sleeping in a plywood box near his construction site and fretting about whether the development company will try to rip him off on his annual paycheck.

Of course, it's not all toil and care. If the needs of the factory do not particularly require his presence, he has Sunday off. He's free to sleep in until 6am, pursue household matters with the wife, and take the government-mandated One Child out to the park and buy him a mylar "Hello Kitty" balloon. In February, May, and October, there are holidays- a few days in which his house will be stuffed with relatives and dumplings will be eaten.

Life is dull, but it's cheap...allowing the family to save up a down payment for a bigger box on a lower floor, and the looming school costs for the government-mandated One Child.

I don't care what ya saw in Mulan. This grim picture is something like daily reality for that "average Chinese person" in your new home city. Sound like fun?

I didn't think so. Yet this  is the yardstick by which you are being asked to calibrate your prospects at Happy Luck Olympic California Fortune NBA English Academy.

You, my pretty....you can't live like this. You can't live anything remotely like this...you'll be barking mad and on the next plane back to Kansas faster than you can say 'Deluxe Whopper with Cheese'. And, I submit, you really didn't leave behind your dog and travel to the other side of the world in order to live anything remotely like this.

And, of course, you won't be asked to live like this. You'll have things a lot better...even on 4000 RMB a month.

The point being: the "average costs" you see trumpeted in job ads are utterly irrelevant to you. They take advantage of your ignorance of conditions here to make compensation packages seem better than they really are. What it will take to keep YOU sweet here is a highly personalized quantity that really depends on you, not upon how Zhou Baijiu lives.

Please don't let this one suck you in.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:28:55 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:17 AM »
Thanks for the enlightenment!  This is one I probably would fall for, but I would have asked the pertinent questions here.  It seems this would only be a good deal if you were living in an area with a lower cost of living.  I will keep that in mind. 
The things we touch have no permanence.

Monkey King

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »
Reader please note:

The above post was made in 2007.  With the new highways, new high speed trains, and construction of a bridge between Ningbo and Shanghai, the travel times in the ad above are now pretty accurate.  I guess this school were just ahead of their time in some respects!

And re-reading Raoul's breakdown of the guilt-trip wage offer tactic, fantastic stuff!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:02:58 AM »
And re-reading Raoul's breakdown of the guilt-trip wage offer tactic, fantastic stuff!

Thank you for the update MK, without it I would have missed Raoul's A Day in the Life of Zhou Baijiu.  A rather poignant read in light of recent events at Foxconn factories across China.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

Thank you for the update MK, without it I would have missed Raoul's A Day in the Life of Zhou Baijiu.  A rather poignant read in light of recent events at Foxconn factories across China.

Yea. That's a good one.  vvvvvvvvvv