Yantai (Ludong University)--information (or even hearsay) appreciated

• 2 replies
Has anyone lived in Yantai? Wintered there? If I have only one semester to spend in China (on sabbatical from January-July), is this 'the place.' Not sure I'll have a lot to choose from, but it seems better than Jinan...please advise.

opiate

I am in Qingdao which is adjacent to Yantai. As far as the weather is concerned I will assume the cities are comparable so expect it to be humid. It makes summer feel nasty and winter will chill you to the bones though it is not especially cold or hot. Just....a little icky. Windy too, particularly in winter.

I do not know if it is 'the place' for you or not....what are you looking for? In Shandong province, Qingdao gets the vast majority of tourists. Damn near every Chinese person will tell you that Qingdao is a beautiful and clean city. I always wondered what shit holes they are comparing it to. I have wanted to try Yantai and Weifang just never seem to find the time.

....and yeah....likely better than Jinan. I do not know about you but I always try to be near the water if I can and Jinan just...isn't. My wife went to University there though and liked it a lot so to each their own.

Without knowing a damn thing about the school, I'd say give it a go unless some red flags pop up.

Thanks for the candid comments, opiate.  'Icky' doesn't sound particularly appealing, but 'near the water' does. And I like the fact that it isn't a mega-monster of a city.