L-Visa. Do I have to apply in person???

• 14 replies
L-Visa. Do I have to apply in person???
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
Hello! I'm new. Also, I'm sorry if this has been addressed already if it has. I'm confused. For me to apply for the L-Visa in the states, does anyone know if there needs to be a physical appearance at the nearest Chinese Embassy/Consulate? Or can you apply by mail?? My Consulate is in Texas and that is 4 states away so it's not so convenient. Please help.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Lucy

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: L-Visa. Do I have to apply in person???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
Hey Lucy,
Welcome to the Saloon!

If you're just trying to get a tourist visa, I suggest you call on your local full-service travel agent. They should be able to get a tourist visa for you, no problems, with no visit required.

You can do this yourself, too, but a travel agent will be able to cut through the bureaucracy a lot easier and faster than an individual can. They'll be well worth what should be a small handling charge to do this for you.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
Thank you for your help but now i have a similar question but regarding the process in South Korea?? I realized I may be doing my summer camp teaching job in Korea and won't be able to apply for the visa in the states. Do you know if it's the same cost? And if it'll take about the same time frame? I think it's one week for a Tourist Visa and 2 weeks for a Residence visa?? Any advice would help and thank you for welcoming me. =)

Lucy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
One thing that might make it easier for you is that most visas have a certain amount of time before they need to be used and the visa then lasts for a certain amount of time after that first use.  So you may be able to apply for your China visa before you even leave for South Korea for the Summer Camp Job.  I know that the visa I have recently got had a "valid to use within 3 months" timeframe on it.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
Not sure of your timing, but if it's not too tight, you should also be able to apply for a South Korean visa from within China.

Otherwise, I know NOTHING about Korean visas...you should check their Consular web sites for the latest info. Links to Consulates can be found in our Links pages...

One other issue I've thought of, though...you DO know, of course, that you can't work in EITHER country legally on a tourist visa? If you're planning to work, and you don't know about Work Permits, Residence Permits, Z Visas, etc. and their South Korean counterparts...you need to get straightened out toot sweet.

I've seen your picture, and you're way too cute to be jailed or deported. akakakakak
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
lol when and HOW did you see my pic?? lol i could have sworn I just uploaded it. anyways, yeah so actually i meant i will be in Korea for a month (soon... so it is last minute) BUT i already got my C4 Visa for Korea already (I'M GOOD!) and i need to figure out if every thing is the same to apply for the Work Visa at the Chinese Consulate/Embassy in S Korea (I found out there is one in Seoul and Inchon). I'm going to call the Chinese Consulate in Texas tomorrow then. BUT THANK YOU everyone! you guys are funny!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
lol when and HOW did you see my pic??

I am Raoul, baby. I'm good, too. ababababab

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
you guys are funny!
So are you, China. You loaded your pic sideways....oh, hang on, wait a minute, you're a Chinese girl, maybe that's the right way. afafafafaf afafafafaf afafafafaf  Welcome aboard.   agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
lol i'm American yet for some reason unlike most of my Asian counterparts, i can't use Photoshop or technology for the life of me... so I changed the pic. BUT one time my Korean friend said that she prefers her pics upside down. lol said something like people look better! HAHA =P

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
And like every typical conceited Asian, I uploaded many pics until meh, i settled.  bhbhbhbhbh

you guys are funny!
So are you, China. You loaded your pic sideways....oh, hang on, wait a minute, you're a Chinese girl, maybe that's the right way. afafafafaf afafafafaf afafafafaf  Welcome aboard.   agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

George

• My view of China
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
Yah. Dod's bedder. agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
looks like i may be a bit late but thank you for the advice. i am so out of it but i'm not in the worst situation. guess i could always pay extra money and have it EXPEDITED but where's the fun in that?

One thing that might make it easier for you is that most visas have a certain amount of time before they need to be used and the visa then lasts for a certain amount of time after that first use.  So you may be able to apply for your China visa before you even leave for South Korea for the Summer Camp Job.  I know that the visa I have recently got had a "valid to use within 3 months" timeframe on it.

babala

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 04:03:19 AM »
I just went through a visa service. In Canada I used www.visaconnection.biz
Ask your travel agent which service they use. You just print off the visa form on your computer at home. You just courier it, your passport and a photo to the visa service and they take care of the rest. Prices vary depending on how fast you want it.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
Go to the Chinese Embassy to the USA website and loook up visas.  They list 3 or 4 "approved" agencies.  Check the FINAL prices closely and take the one with the best deal.  I've used 2 on the list so far with no problems at all.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
Wow, you uploaded a photo HERE. Not the one I'd seen before, but it'll do. agagagagag