SHENZEN HERE I COME~~

• 19 replies
SHENZEN HERE I COME~~
« on: June 10, 2007, 05:08:33 AM »
Hello. I just got my assignment in Shenzhen at the Foreign Languages School Longgang Branch. I will be leaving California in August and heading out to China!! I cannot wait. Anyone living in Shenzhen?  jjjjjjjjjj

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: SHENZEN HERE I COME~~
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:11:07 AM »
Welcome, Alex!  agagagagag

I think we gots a few from Shenzhen, and a few nearby Guang Dongs, on here. Give 'em a while to drift in; they spend a lot of time in bars down that way.  uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
in time it will begin to make sense!

May begin to make sense.  Or I haven't been here long enough.  llllllllll
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
Howdy Alex! agagagagag

Congratulations on your trek to the Big Silly.  Those who speak of Shenzhen tend to wax dramatic at both extremes: it's a happening town full of crime, parties, horrible heat, money growing on trees, urban sprawl and traffic clots, vibrant nightlife, choking pollution, hot women *...

When I read between the lines, I suspect Shenzhen is pretty terrific.  Have a buddy living down there, and she's happy with the place.

* Ya know, I have yet to hear of a region in China that doesn't have pretty women.

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:15:43 PM »
See, I left the UK cos I was sick of big city life in London.  Of course, it was slightly crazy going to Wuhan - I should have researched things a bit better!  But I've found my niche in this part of Dalian, with a reasonable amount of nature, lots of sunshine, not too polluted, but also some OK bars and shops.  agagagagag
It is too early to say.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:42:35 PM »
Ay, Dalian is bonny.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

babala

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
Congrats,
         Being from California, you probably won't mind the heat. Us Canadians seem to do better further up north.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
Welcome to the land of silly.  I have never laughed so much in my life (and it hasn't been a short life to date?.  Even walking down the street provides me/us with enough opportunity to be entertained. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:38 PM »
Oh, by the way, life outside the saloon here in China is interesting too.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:55:51 PM »
I want to master Chinese anyone know a good teacher in Shenzhen that is affordable?

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:12:49 PM »
Normally, as a foreigner in China, you will find a girlfriend very soon (or she finds you?  mmmmmmmmmm). And that is the best teacher you can get. But sometimes, it is good to know some chinese before having a chinese girlfriend - preserves you from bad surprises  bfbfbfbfbf

Enjoy your time in China
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Normally, as a foreigner in China, you will find a girlfriend very soon (or she finds you?  mmmmmmmmmm).

I didn't find a girlfriend - just friends who are women!   axaxaxaxax

But maybe being female has something to do with that???

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:34:04 PM »
I'm with Lotus, I also didn't find a girlfriend.  I have a couple of female friends though.  I am too old for most of the men and they definitely think of me as a grandma not a female friend type. 

However, I am learning Chinese anyhow.  Class at school plus a private tutor.  Often you will find Chinese teachers willing to tutor.  Their rates are around 30RMB/hour.  They need to supplement their incomes too.  Ask at the school, or at the University.  I work at a Normal (teacher) University, so I have a Master's student who is also a middle school teacher.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »
Normally, as a foreigner in China, you will find a girlfriend very soon (or she finds you?  mmmmmmmmmm).

I didn't find a girlfriend - just friends who are women!   axaxaxaxax

But maybe being female has something to do with that???

Well, if you are straight female, this could be the reason ahahahahah
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »
Very, very very very very very straight. ahahahahah