Looking for a job in Harbin

• 19 replies

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
Re: Looking for a job in Harbin
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:25:18 AM »
yea, it should be relatively simple to get extensions on an L/tourist visa in most mid size & bigger cities.
The actual rule states 2 in country 30 day extensions are allowed on a L visa, but Haikou will only give one... TIFC...
Different provinces will require more/less red tape, I went 15 months getting extensions & goin HK every 3rd month last year, a hassle but less than getting to a boarder from central provinces.
It was, `if that city PSB asked` U.S. proof of $100 a day or $3000 required, either a visa card, bank statement or cash.
I believe more money is required now? `best to have it ready just to be sure.
One photo, one form & 4 to 7 week day wait.
It's recommended to submit app a min of 2 days before expire date or as much time it will take to get to a boarder `if` you get rejected when submitting app.
You may or may not lose/gain days depending on when you turn in the app & expiration date so I found it best to wait long as possible while allowing time to exit China by midnight of exp date.
When you turn in your extension application at a PSB, they do a quick & efficient check, if alls well, their acceptance of your application usually means you'll get approved.
I, nor anyone I've heard of got rejected so I'm not sure how it may go if your fear of rejection comes true...

Dali, Yunnan has always been easiest for extensions, twice I got there & was in & out of PSB in less than an hour when the Only officer able to process visa is in office, Jiangsu was most difficult, 3 offices, 7/8 forms & show money, but they did give me a temp visa so I could travel & check into hotels while waiting the 5 biz days it took. Guangxi is pretty easy, Hainan is easy but will only do it once....

This was all before July `08 so don't bank on my past experience, but it shouldn't be very much different I'd `guess`.

Just plan to stay in one city area 4/8 days around your expiration dates, ask local foreigners where you think of being ahead of time about their city requirements for extending.

Have access to proof of whatever amount money the rules say then, photos & passport when applying & it's easier than thought.

Get Good copies of passport front page, current visa & last entry stamp Before turning in your application.

Be Sure you have enough empty pages in passport `Before...

Aside from the anxious feeling about being turned down & Needing to get to a border the possibly sudden change yer life plan if rejected, it’s pretty simple as long as you have the Required papers & photos walking in the PSB.

If a uni wants ya There in Sept., they should help getting you through the process `maybe  agagagagag
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »
Heilongjiang University is worth a look. Great conditions and ok salary. They are looking for the next semester. Let me know if you want/need contact details.

Harbin Institute of Technology also has a good rep and is usually hiring. Ditto for Heilongjiang University of Science & Technology.
I would agree Hei da is worth a look, right next store is Heilongjiang University of Science and Technology it seems to me to be about the same.  I taught at Li Gong the later. Hei da is cracking down on non degreed teachers so there should be some jobs opening up there too. 

I personally disagree with the assessment of HIT.  Very low salary, 4300, is what they offered me, with a masters, and 5 years of experience.  The admin was unresponsive to any negotiations as far as salary, could not get even a phone call, let alone a face to face.  They also expected the teachers to do work that was obviously administrative.  They also hire on missionaries to fill any voids, who receive additional payments from their own missionary oganizations, thus keeping the non missionaries at a disadvantage. After two weeks without a contract and no response, I walked. 

Another school you may consider is the one I am at now.  Harbin Commercial University or Shang Da.  The salary is not great only 4800, but they totally leave you alone to do your job.  Students are not great, accomodations are on campus and nice, two bedrooms, the normal washing machine, kitchen, bed, wardrobe, furniture.  There are two campuses, I work at the one in Nangang.  The other campus is in Jiang Bei, which is across the river so you will be more isolated there but the campus is bigger and the environment is somewhat better.  You can negotiate  some things but probably not the salary with out a few years of service.  They are under the impression that the tax issue becomes a problem after that figure.  The only extra thing I have ever been asked to do was attend a couple of banguets and one sports day which was rather enjoyable.  Plus, you get paid for 11 months a year and work a little over 8 but less than 9 with all the holidays.

The Normal University also has two campuses I think.  The main campus is also in Jiang Bei north and over the river from the rest of the city.  It is developing.  so the isolation again is not good for some.  It takes perhaps a half an hour to get to any shopping that might have some items you may want. 

As far as private schools, I have only taught at one.  Sunshine international language center which is right in Nangang, the best place to be for amenities, very near HIT, the largest computer stores and will be on the subway line which has just begun construction.  So that may be something to consider, Harbin will be a mess for a couple of years to come. I can tell you that the owners of the school treated me very well and are good people.  Although the situation has changed somewhat since I was there.  It was their first year. I was the first teacher hired except for one that came from a sister school in Jilin.  Miss Han ran a five star hotel before the school.  There are now a few too many rules for my liking.
Seems we have a few Harbin teachers here on the site.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »

I could get a job at a university in Harbin but what would I do between the end of June and the start of September?
[/quote

You could always freelance, or just enjoy the really nice Harbin Summer.  You certainly would be able to save some and see any other part of China.  My favorite thing to do in the summer is eat at my favorite little restaurant on the sidewalk.  It's dirty, but delicious and I also like the family that runs it. 4 Generations in laws, they really work hard, are customer service friendly. 

Most schools will give you a travel allowance, up to 2200. 

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »
I put in my 60 day notice that I wouldn't re-sign my contract, and I felt pretty bad about it actually. The school I am at has done a lot to try to accommodate the foreign teachers... but I want to try something new.

I went up to Harbin this Tuesday and I have to say, there's something that's just really attractive about the place. I went around to some of the private academies, but most seemed to not be sure what their situation would be in July...

Has anyone ever studied Chinese at Bincai Chinese College? They offer a student visa if you are willing to study there full time, I might do that until September.

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 04:17:36 AM »
I haven't studied at Bincai but I know a few FTs that have and they say it is pretty good and can be quite intense. If you have free time to devote to some serious study then this might be a good option.