Bill Gates - Words of Wisdom to a Younger Generation !

• 10 replies
Bill Gates - Words of Wisdom to a Younger Generation !
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:41 PM »
Hey Group:
 I just read this and thought it was worth passing along.......

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this!

To anyone with kids of any age, here's some advice.

Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.   You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping:  they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now.   They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were.  So before you save the rainforest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and loser s, but life HAS NOT.   In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.  This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters.  You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.   Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life.   In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds.  Chances are you'll end up working for one.

George

• My view of China
Re: Bill Gates - Words of Wisdom to a Younger Generation !
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
True, eh!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:09:42 PM »
Thanks for that tstuts4679. I'll copy it and send it to the Daughter-In-Law. She can spring it on the Grandkids at the right time. Sounds much better coming from Bill than from silly old Granny Mae!!

old34

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
The Words of Wisdom are indeed words of wisdom.

I don't mean to lessen the importance of the advice, but they are not from Bill Gates.

Cf. http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.asp
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:58:12 AM »
Life?  Fair? 

Four Bill Gatesmen Sketch

Monty Python

Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Bill Gates: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

BG: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

BG: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

BG: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

BG: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

BG: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:24:30 AM »
When you see something like this, before you pass it on, please check whether it is real. The usual way to do that is via the Snopes.com Urban Legend Reference Pages.

This one is bogus:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.asp
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:29:32 AM »

BILL GATES FOR PRESIDENT

AMonk

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »
Nah.  He don't want that job.  It don't pay enough to support his charities, and it gots too many ree-strictions attached!!
Moderation....in most things...

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »
Gates seems a pleasant enough fellow on the occasions when he emerges from his palace to make a public announcement of some kind.

But his corporation has a near global monopoly on computer operating systems, and ruthlessly exploits that to hold the planet to ransom for billions of dollars. And despite that advantage, they can't even deliver a decent product any more: Vista and Office 2007 are widely regarded as disasters. With all that money and expertise, how could they fail it get it right?

It could so easily have been different. The world could be running on open source operating systems and software (eg Linux and OpenOffice). Computers would probably be cheaper, more reliable, easier to use and virus-free. Doh!

Did you know that DOS (the basis of Windows operating systems) comes from QDOS which stood for "Quick and Dirty Operating System"? It should never have been the foundation for a global IT system. Double Doh! with extra large fries.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

AMonk

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 08:01:15 AM »
.....they can't even deliver a decent product any more: Vista and Office 2007 are widely regarded as disasters. With all that money and expertise, how could they fail it get it right?

That's because Gates isn't Head-Cheese-with-hands-on any more.....it's his HotShot Crew fart-arsing around on his reputation.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 05:57:16 AM »
One more to add to the list (taught to me by an old business mentor):  NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS!  Focus on solving your clients' problems and YOU will be very successful.  And, the more successful you are, the less problems you usually have!  I never did thank the man enough for his advice (to young and stupid to realize the value at the time).