city with best climate without mosquitoes

• 16 replies
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:29 AM »
Hello All,

I am in my second year in Harbin and winter is coming. I'm sure we all know just how cold it gets and that means going out is difficult to say the least. Prior to this job I spent some years in south China, HK, Shenzhen and even Guangzhou so am familiar with the climate and the many mosquitoes. I am thinking of a new city next academic year and hope to get some recommendations based on climate. Being from the UK I am used to tempretures between 0 and 25/30 degrees centigrade. Obviously that will be impossible in China. I am looking for anything close to that and also a lack of mosquitoes, they really, really, p*&^ me off. I also understand that south of the Yangtsze there is no central heating so winter can be uncomfortable.
Looking forward to any info.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: city with best climate without mosquitoes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
To avoid mosquitoes, I recommend Northern Greenland or perhaps Antarctica. ahahahahah

Sorry, if it's habitable, it's probably got mosquitoes for at least a few months of the year.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Embrace the cold. It's your friend. Mosquitos not so much. I love it here. Almost 5 years and never leaving.  akakakakak

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
The only place I know in China is a mausoleum in T Square. The long term resident has never been known to complain about mosquitoes.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »

Sheesh, you don't ask for much, do ya? bibibibibi ahahahahah

Embrace the cold. It's your friend. Mosquitos not so much.

Not so sure this is entirely true. Cold places do have a much shorter mosquito season, but during that season they tend to generate vast clouds of mosquitos the size of cocktail shrimp. Just ask a Minnesotan, a Michigander, or a Canadian... aoaoaoaoao

Everywhere I lived in China had mosquitos that could stand flat-footed and f@#k a chicken. As EL suggested, mosquitos can live pretty much everywhere humans can live, with the possible exception of deep desert areas watered only by oases.

For climate, my pick would be places like Kunming or possibly Chengdu...mountain cities too far south to deep-freeze much, but too high up to roast much. Misty and rainy is fine with me; an acceptable trade-off for avoiding the extremes at either end.

2nd pick would be mid-latitude coastal cities like Dalian or Qingdao, where the ocean moderates the temperature extremes to some extent. They need to have immediate  proximity to the ocean to benefit much from this, which leaves out places like Shanghai.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Everywhere I lived in China had mosquitos that could stand flat-footed and f@#k a chicken.

ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah beautiful turn of phrase
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

BrandeX

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Move anywhere you want as long as it is downtown. Mosquitos live and breed mostly in wet lowland areas. They are less common inside urban concrete habitats. Another tip is to live on a high floor of a high-rise apt. building. Even here on the 5th floor in Guangzhou, I rarely get mosquitoes in the house. I don't often see them downtown either. As for the climate I agree with Raoul. Harbin and MN where I am from are somewhat similar climates. We have mosquitoes by the uncountable billions there. Of course we also have lots of lakes, swamps, etc. too where they like to breed.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:05:06 AM »
I know mosquitoes are prevelent in all of China, even Harbin for about 2 monthes of the year.
However I would disagree that everywhere with humans has mosquitoe problems. Having spent all my life in the UK (until coming to China), some 40 years I would say I can't recall getting bitten in the UK.
Putting mosquitoes to one side, how about climate, how far south do I need to go for winter to be tolerable?

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »
I am also in Harbin but have students from all over the country. From them I think I have discovered that to a certain extent at least the point at which winter becomes "tolerable" (to use your words) also equals the point at which there ceases to be central heating so it can seem relatively colder there, even than here. Many of them actually find it warmer here than in the south because inside is so warm and it is only when you go outside that cold is a real issue (and it certainly is an issue). I think that the only point of the country where you are not going to potentially have "cold" issues for at least some of the year are also the areas with the most mosquitos. But the issue with cold here in Harbin is not just how extremely cold it gets but also simply how long "cold" lasts. I mean it is probably true that we are currently having early "winter" weather now and for the last few days and it is now early October. Some other parts of the country do have shorter winters and maybe that can be something to consider.  With regard to the mosquito issue - we do sometimes have mosquitos here - but a lot less than I am used to - and only for a short time (if they come). This is my third year here and the first real experience I had here. Contrary to previous comments height of building does not keep mosquitos out. For the last 2 years I lived on the 20th floor of a building in the middle of an urban area. Last Summer we had a couple of weeks with mosquitos.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
Having spent all my life in the UK (until coming to China), some 40 years I would say I can't recall getting bitten in the UK.

This is only because the British don't taste very good. bpbpbpbpbp

how far south do I need to go for winter to be tolerable?

Pretty far, although I guess it depends on what you mean by "tolerable". In the lowlands to the east, winters as far south as Shanghai were still pretty brutal. I'd say probably at least as far as Fujian or Jiangxi to get some relief, and even provinces like Guangdong and Guangxi get their occasional cold snaps. In mountain areas, you'll have to go even further south to avoid some winter. The only places that stay consistently warm are some relatively small jungle areas along the southern border...and I don't recall too many jungle teaching jobs. kkkkkkkkkk

Although I think "Jungle English" might make a good comic book/TV show/movie. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
Contrary to previous comments height of building does not keep mosquitos out. For the last 2 years I lived on the 20th floor of a building in the middle of an urban area. Last Summer we had a couple of weeks with mosquitos.

I live in Suzhou where it's "water, water everywhere  bbbbbbbbbb and not a drop (you would ever want)  to drink  aaaaaaaaaa (unless its beer agagagagag) in the 19th floor of a brand new highrise (first tennents) surrounded by canals and ditches. 

I slept with the windows open all summer and didn't have any mosquitoes or bugs.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
Casey is right we live on 17th floor no bugs although we did find a gecko yesterday not sure hoe he got here.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
Casey is right we live on 17th floor no bugs although we did find a gecko yesterday not sure hoe he got here.

Must be your insurance provider    ahahahahah
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
I work at an International School with a beautiful campus. It's a bit like Hawaii, really! I have a Botanical Garden outside my kitchen/bathroom/restroom window and it's gorgeous!

Problem is our campus is mosquito-infested! And mosquitoes LOVE ME!

Death by mosquito-coil! I use the "green juice" (mosquito repellant) as cologne! And I always laugh when a student comments about how good I smell! NO! ... it's NOT Hugo Boss ... it's MOSQUITO REPELLANT!  afafafafaf

--GA
"Infinite loop?! I don't have time for that!" - Bender Rodríguez.

AMonk

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:51 AM »
Olde Tyme Remedy for keeping mosquitos off you - slather on some (original) Listerine.
Moderation....in most things...