Teaching at Birmy International English - China

• 26 replies
Re: How's the Life of an English Teacher in China?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 01:03:52 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:44:53 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »
lol

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
My dad is Filipino, and my Mom is an American. I have been going back and forth from the US to the Philippines all my life. When my parents passed away, I have decided to pursue a teaching career in China. I love the Chinese. (Especially because I am a huge fan of Chinese epic films and the rich culture as well.) I have studied in a Chinese school when I was in grade school. I loooove the food as well! :)

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »
I cannot really understand why posting a question and interacting with people in this forum would constitute a conspiracy. Does everyone have to have an agenda here?

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »
In that case, my apologies for picking on your language. We do sort of have an agenda. It has sometimes happened in the past that Chinese employers (or representatives of employers) have joined the forum posing as prospective foreign employees or as happy former employees. Generally they are attempting to counter very negative reviews of their organizations, and they *always* give themselves away with ossified language and dubious forms of cheerful expression. So I guess we've - and I've - been language-ist.

Can we start over?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:01:59 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
Sure!

I have high hopes for this teaching career in China. I am planning to spend every days off going around the city and EAT! :)

I don't make friends very easily, since I am quite most times, but I would love it if somebody from where I stay would give me a city tour! :)

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 05:41:33 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:46:12 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 05:59:13 AM »
Hi

We have a thread called Introductions.  http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=7.1815

Why don't you go there and tell us a bit about yourself.  We love to read about all the new members and where they are from and what their dreams are.   bjbjbjbjbj
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
Hello!

I consider myself a native English speaker since I have lived most of my life in the US. I go back to the Philippines to spend time with close relatives only during summers and Christmas.

Jennifer Whiting is a good screen name. It's actually the name I will give my daughter if I will have one in the future.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »
I definitely agree that Chinese students are not like American or perhaps any other students from the West. I was a highschool teacher in Brooklyn before I came here in China last year. At first, I was really nervous because I had no idea at all what to expect from my classes here. Since it's my first time to handle and ESL class, I was just clueless. The good thing, though, was that staff from the Birmy head office were generous enough to give me some sort of orientation before I held my first class. They gave me pieces of advice on what I should and shouldn't do in class. But of course, not any amount of preparation would take away my fear because it was my first time to face a bunch of kids who have limited knowledge of the language I speak!

I must admit that my first day at work wasn't good. I didn't prepare enough, I guess, but at least, that first meeting made me realize what I needed to do. As they say, the rest is history!
If this is your first time to teach English in a non-English speaking country, you've got to be ready to be challenged. Chinese learners could be hard to communicate with and teach, but they're definitely fun to teach! Make sure you come to your classes prepared all the time!

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 05:20:38 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:45:31 AM by Isidnar »

Re: Teaching at Birmy International English - China
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
I have started this thread when I was trying to decide where to teach in China. Thus, I needed to state the name of the school where I submitted my application.

Now, I have accepted the job offer at Birmy. I don't mean to offend anybody with my questions. My apologies if my thread vexes you. That was not my intention.