Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2007, 01:53:09 PM »
Oh, we are talking drinks? I thought we were talking table dancing  bibibibibi

« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »

As for Shanghai: love the place, but it's but one destination. Dalian, Qingdao and Zuhai are particularly desirable, in my book, but I'm open to suggestions. The only caveat is that it'd have to be Uni work at a reputable school (as in the FTs had no beefs with the school, not "Harvard"-status schools) - and not way out in the middle of the sticks, where one would have to take 2 long bus trips and an overnight train to get to: a hypermart, Pizza Hut, Computer market, or reliable (by China's standards) DVD vendor.

When does the next season of University FT positions open up in China? December???

I'm in Dalian. My University (MSU-LNU) requires a Master's Degree to teach academic subjects.  I teach at the Branch Campus of Missouri State.  LNU the main (Chinese) campus also hires but I don't know all their requirements.  We are close to everything 3 bus stops from Carrifore and Walmart, or 8RMB by taxi.  Costs about 15 to go downtowm but the same buses also go there.  Second term starts in late February.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »
Dude, this is so transferrable!  Come get some teaching gig, and find some local shmo with a decent digital cam.  Sounds like they hate you for existing back home.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

moon over parma

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2007, 02:10:19 AM »
Dude, this is so transferrable!  Come get some teaching gig, and find some local shmo with a decent digital cam.  Sounds like they hate you for existing back home.

Once we're done and a new passport's in hand and I've got enough for a ticket and a month's survival: the job hunt will begin. I've got a mini-dv kit and have some projects in mind, so you're definitely onto something, Con. As for "hating me," it definitely feels that way in the United States these days. This isn't the country I was raised in. That's for sure. The city I live in is f'n backwards. It was easier to get the part-time gig at this station than it was to get a job in an office or bookstore (which pay the same, or better). No joke. Totally f'n backwards... llllllllll

DragonSaver - thanks for the information. I only have a Bachelors at the moment. The Masters is something I'll work on down the line, but it appears I am underqualified for your school. :(

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:17:19 AM by moon over parma »

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2007, 02:55:45 AM »
Dang, the reply I was typing dissapeared.  Hit a wrong key.

You don't have to save for airfare.  Many schools pay your airfare over.

SYU-Lambton College is one. Accommodations suck but they pay airfare, pay salary in advance and treat you ok.  They are always looking.  Lampton college has another compus in Changchun (sp?) which has a much better reputation.  Oh yes at SYU-Lambton you can hire on for only one semester and they still pay your full airfare (return).  They may even have openings for starting after Sept 1st.  http://www.chinatefl.com/jiangsu/teach/js_lmd.html

Normally you will be interviewed from Sarnia, Ontario.  But you apply online as above.  If you hunt you can probably find the Changchun campus too.

moon over parma

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2007, 07:24:26 AM »
Thanks again,  DS! bjbjbjbjbj I've bookmarked the information and will look into it when I've gotmy ducks in a row on this side of the pond. As for plane fair - I always assumed it wa reimbursement. So, it is common for China Unis to pay for the flight? If so, that's one load off of my shoulders.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »
So, it is common for China Unis to pay for the flight? If so, that's one load off of my shoulders.
I wouldn't take that to the bank!! Work on the re-imbursement theory.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:59 PM »
Ya, not all pay up front.  Both of mine did, however I asked the second one to do it and they did.  Other teachers had to wait for reimbursement.

Newbs

« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2007, 08:56:42 PM »
Parma and Bambam and everyone else who's new in town.  Huanying, pull up a stool and have a pijiu.  Drinks are on George. agagagagag

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »
Woo hoo! George is paying.... send one my way ;D
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2007, 04:20:21 PM »
Here you go Missi.  agagagagag
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
hi guys! im SOLONGTINIK!

im from the pearl of the orient..Philippines!
my apologies for being late and for visiting the saloon NOT too often. i was quite busy trying to be sober and sane. i failed though.

im 25 with a 16 year old mind.
i enjoy healthy mental intercourse. reading and watching DVDs are my uppers.
i hate boredom and routinary activities that's why im leaving.
im proud to be a FILIPINA but hate being tagged as chinese..sorry just being honest.

i LOVE this saloon and the people here!

if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

anya

« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »
My name is Anya and I just recently got to Beijing to teach English and French. I am Russian, but I now live in Canada, and am a university student there. I am quite new to the city and don't know many people, but I am keeping myself open to anything and hope to learn as much as I can in the time that I am here!
"I want justice," I shouted.
"You'll get the law," he replied. "We gave up on justice long ago. The best we can do is law." -p. 207

George

• My view of China
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2007, 08:58:17 PM »
but I am keeping myself open to anything
Our kind of girl!! agagagagag agagagagag
Welcome aboard, Anya.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »
Raise your glasses for a vodka salut to our newest citizen of the saloon - Anya!
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)