Introductions

• 1851 replies

old34

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1455 on: October 13, 2011, 02:56:52 AM »
I am more surprised by westerners at this point. Folks yelling at cars because they got too close to precious, complaining that the food has bones, speaking English slow and loud so a waitress can suddenly comprehend a language she has never learned, making faces when a baby poops on the street...etc. Not sure why I feel this way now since I have done all of the above /shrug

You've pooped on the street!?!?  bqbqbqbqbq  aoaoaoaoao

Well, as long as you don't do it here at the Saloon, Welcome!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

opiate

« Reply #1456 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:47 AM »
I am more surprised by westerners at this point. Folks yelling at cars because they got too close to precious, complaining that the food has bones, speaking English slow and loud so a waitress can suddenly comprehend a language she has never learned, making faces when a baby poops on the street...etc. Not sure why I feel this way now since I have done all of the above /shrug

You've pooped on the street!?!?  bqbqbqbqbq  aoaoaoaoao

Well, as long as you don't do it here at the Saloon, Welcome!

It's not a fun night 'till somebody poops in the street!

Words to live by.....or something

« Reply #1457 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
Thanks opiate, I appreciate your observations. bfbfbfbfbf  The Anglo male beat me to holding the door.  Sorry, I didn't mean to sidetrack your introduction, I was just trying to say that you will see so many things about China and its people,which I like to hear about. I will only get to see the Asian folk in a very limited capacity such as the one I spoke about. All the best for your life in China. agagagagag

Cohiba

• Everybody needs to chill
« Reply #1458 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

I have recently joined this fine forum,
I am from Australia (Western Australia to be specific).

My connection with China lays in experience in my companies procurement dealings with mainland Chinese firms.
These negotiations led me to visit China a number of times,
I meet some wonderful nationals that I now count as friends.
I fell in love with the culture (Including the frustrating Yes Minister part  bibibibibi ) and the many people I met from all walks of life.
I have some very very basic Mandarin speaking skills,
I can however swear and curse like a native.
Thank you  THANK YOU MR PIN YIN !!!!!

I thought after 20 odd years of being in business (am in my early forties)it was time for my version of a sea change or tree change.
So I decided in a scotch infused brainstorm,
I would like to go to China for at least 12 months !!!!!
Well normaly as we all know that ideas stemming
from alcohol tend to be fleeting but this one stayed.
So here I am,
wanting to share my,and gather others experiences before I take this great leap of faith. :)

What do you think guys and girls do I have a chance or is it folly?
 agagagagag

« Reply #1459 on: October 19, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
Welcome cohiba. agagagagag You will get plenty of information here from some very helpful people. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1460 on: October 20, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
Welcome Cohiba!   agagagagag agagagagag
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

Cohiba

• Everybody needs to chill
« Reply #1461 on: October 20, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome :banana:

« Reply #1462 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:30 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this forum, although I have been viewing it for some time now as my partner has been a member for a while.

I am from England and I graduated from University in July with a degree in Psychology. Me and my partner decided we wanted to do something different, travel the world and experience new cultures. We decided after quite a bit of research that teaching English would be the perfect opportunity, so here we are in China (Yangzhou) and having a great time so far.

I am looking forward to hearing everybodies experiences and sharing my own.

See you around!  agagagagag
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

« Reply #1463 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »
Welcome to the Saloon SilverMay   bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #1464 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
Welcome SilverMay. agagagagag Nice to meet you. Look forward to hearing about your perceptions of life in China. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1465 on: November 05, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Welcome SilverMay!   agagagagag agagagagag

I would be curious as to hear what your first impressions of China were/are and what kind of teaching positions you and your partner have.

Again --- welcome to the Saloon!

Sam
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

« Reply #1466 on: November 05, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Thank you everybody for the welcome!  bfbfbfbfbf

I'm really enjoying my teaching job. My job involves helping the students with their speech, pronounciation and conversation skills. The school has chinese teachers who teach the pupils grammar, vocab etc. So I turn up to class with a topic, such as; transport, technology etc. and a bunch of questions and just have a conversation. I really get to know my students, sometimes they don't even want to talk about the topic and we just talk about anything and everything! :)

My first impressions of China are very good, most people seem very nice, obviously you get a few who arn't but that happens everywhere! I have been here nearly two months now and have a growing group of friends that includes both 'westerners' (Its not my favourite name for us! lol) and local chinese. We all have open minds so I guess this is why we all get on so well! We go out for food, drinks and KTV haha. (I do like KTV as I LOVE to sing. I'm not very good though. ahahahahah)

The one thing I have glaringly noticed though is people can be very impatient here, which I must say for me is probably the hardest thing to get used to. I am quite an easy going person, I like to take my time and savour the moment (cheesy!!) So everybody rushing around, pushing and shoving and cars beeping can get a little much but I'm sure in time I'll adapt to this although I can't see myself ever being this way!

I really don't like the fire works, on more than one occasion now I've been steps away from someone setting off fire works and I've never been closer to having a heart attack! Also, when you get woken up at 5.30 am by them it can be slightly annoying.

On the whole though, I really am having a great time. I like to think of myself as a person that likes change and different things, being a creature of habit strikes me as boring. So I'm excited for many more experiences to come! bjbjbjbjbj

SilverMay  agagagagag

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

AMonk

« Reply #1467 on: November 05, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Welcome agagagagag SilverMay
Moderation....in most things...

SpV

« Reply #1468 on: November 05, 2011, 11:45:38 PM »
Just in case anyone cares, I'm SilverMay's other half!

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #1469 on: November 06, 2011, 04:01:34 AM »
Thank you everybody for the welcome!  bfbfbfbfbf

I really don't like the fire works, on more than one occasion now I've been steps away from someone setting off fire works and I've never been closer to having a heart attack! Also, when you get woken up at 5.30 am by them it can be slightly annoying.

j

SilverMay  agagagagag

Yer gonna love Spring Festival.  bcbcbcbcbc bababababa qqqqqqqqqq rrrrrrrrrr uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu