Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1140 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
Hey guys!

My name is Howard and I have accepted a position in Haidian as well with Beijing Foreign Language Experimental School.  I am currently living in DC and will be on my way July 31st.  Super excited to start this stage of my life!

Howie

« Reply #1141 on: July 15, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
Welcome Howie! I'm starting my position on August 1st, can't wait! What made you decide to head to China?
Thanks con. I'm gonna see if I'm not too jet lagged to head to that Logo Bar on Saturday night - purely because the event is called The Enchanted World of Acid Pony Club with VJ Tina Sprinkles.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. - Mark Twain

« Reply #1142 on: July 15, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Welcome aboard, Aznbapo (try saying that 5 times). agagagagag  We have a big contingent of Saloonies in Beijing, so getting your social life set up, a daunting task in a big city, shouldn't be such a problem.  Check out Decurso's favourite site, http://weliveinbeijing.com for starters.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1143 on: July 15, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
Hi All (again)

I introduced myself a while ago although I'm not coming to Haidian until nearly the end of August.

I was sparked into writing by Jennifer asking about the 'why' of it and I would also be interested in people's motivations for coming to China.

In my case, I wanted an adventure and a fresh start (even if I am 'knocking on a bit'!)

Yes, like most of us, I have a bit of baggage but hoping to leave it behind.

« Reply #1144 on: July 15, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
Welcome Aznbapo, Jennifer, charlessandilands and everyone else. I am a squirrel, more specifically the High Priest of the Glorious Church of the Most Magnificent Ratatosk, who daily scurries from the top of the World Tree Tgdrasil to the roots that spreads into the gloomy world of Hel, where tormented souls slave away at preparing the dread ship Naglfar for Ragnarok. I am also an English teacher, which should prove beyond a doubt that China is really a country that offers adventure and possibilities for all kinds of people...uhm...creatures...err...entities. I do hope you all have a delightful time in China..and remember, one should always be kind to leprechauns and if you find a unicorn living under your sink you need better kitchen hygiene. Now, pull up a chair and tell us everything, the first round is on...tumtitum...Stil, a venerable personage from the deepest, darkest, nightmarish parts of the Canadian collective subconscious. But wait a while, the purple pixie that lives under my bowler hat is in dire need of Skitles...be back in a tick agagagagag agagagagag

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1145 on: July 15, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
And to think people still call me crazy when the forum has a talking squirrel.  ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1146 on: July 16, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

@Jennifer: I didn't really enjoy where I was in my professional life and decided to give this a try while trying to learn a valuable language skill.  And yourself?

@Con:  Thanks for the tip!  That's awesome.  I will definitely be keeping everyone posted as to my status over in Beijing and would love to meet some saloonies face face if there is an opportunity!

« Reply #1147 on: July 16, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
Well I took a year off uni with plans of going to the US to work at a summer camp, but that never panned out. Figured I'd better do something worthwhile considering I'd already taken the year off, somehow stumbled across a list of teaching jobs in China, and here I am. I'm only teaching for 6 months though, then it's back to learning for me.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. - Mark Twain

« Reply #1148 on: July 17, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
Hi. I'm a new member, but I've been in Ningbo, China for a year.

I've recently changed jobs and moved to the other side of the city.  I've found out that the 4 new teachers at my University in September are actually 2 married couples with pre-existing links to Ningbo, which is kind of a kick in the teeth for my dreams of tricking them into being my friends while they're still too naive and desperate to know better.It would be great to chat or meet up with other teachers in the city.

« Reply #1149 on: July 17, 2010, 10:54:27 PM »
Welcome Mr Ben!

Great to hear from someone in Ningbo...  agagagagag

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #1150 on: July 18, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
I made it to China alive! I'm in Shanghai at the moment, here til July 25. I'm feeling rather lost in this big city, if anyone wants to hang out let me know! I just went to Walmart and nearly had a heart attack, it's huge! Staying with a lady and her son somewhere not far from Pudong. Not exactly sure where. Listening to them chatting away in Chinese and realising that I'm somewhat screwed.. I can't understand a word!

« Reply #1151 on: July 19, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »
When are you coming to the 'chun and how are you travelling? Where will you stay? I sent you a PM, let me know in private
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #1152 on: July 20, 2010, 02:38:41 AM »
Jennifer,

That's awesome.  What a great way to spend a year off from college.  I hope you have fun in Shanghai and good luck with your gig in Changchun.

« Reply #1153 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:17 AM »
Hi everyone   bjbjbjbjbj   I'm off to Nanyang in 4 weeks for my first time in China, and teaching.   aoaoaoaoao   Thanks for opening the gate Raoul, and even more huger thanks to Saloon inmate Schnerby for the inside scoop on the exact same Uni I'll be wandering around in, scratching my head.  I'm 52, many years in the business world with a good bit of training experience, but no classroom.  BA and off-brand EFL Cert with Biz English add-on.  Kinda think I'd like to pursue that route once I get into the system.

I'd  like to spend a week or so in HK on my way in, any suggestions on must-see or must-avoid places?  I like pretty much everything.

« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Hey everyone! I am very happy to join this forum; I've been lurking for a little bit for info on China, and everyone seems very down to earth. I will be (hopefully) coming to China this September, probably to Dalian. I can't wait!