Can anyone actually recommend a school

• 51 replies
Can anyone actually recommend a school
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
I am a recent college grad searching for an ESL job in China.  I have dug up alot of dirt on certain schools, but have not seen many people boasting about any.  Does anyone have a school in mind to recommend, or what are the qualities of a qualified employer. 

AMonk

Re: Can anyone actually recommend a school
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »
Hi Roy!  Welcome to the Saloon agagagagag

First, decide on the sort of climate/geography that you might prefer.  No point in checking out (say) Harbin, if you can't stand cold weather, nor GuangDong if you hate typhoons and humidity.

Second, decide what age level of student you would be most comfortable teaching.  No point in checking out kindergartens if you can't stand the littlest ones and really want to teach adults.

Then, begin looking in our Links and the Location Specific pages for initial help.  When you've narrowed your field of search, please feel free to ask the Saloonies your specific questions.

For me?  I don't want anywhere farther north than Jinan.  I definitely do NOT want to teach anyone under 10 years of age, but I am "iffy" about being in a college/university.  However, I most certainly won't be entertaing at a language "mill" (like EF aoaoaoaoao and their ilk).

Happy hunting bfbfbfbfbf
Moderation....in most things...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
 Sound advice. I could recommend a few schools,but what suits me may not suit you. Personally, I hate cold weather and refuse to venture north of The Great Wall. I spent two years in so called "real" China and highly recommend it, but at this point don't think any other city besides Beijing suits my personal needs. And I prefer to teach university.

Like the bunny said...decide where you want to go and then decide what kind of job suits you best. Happy hunting.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
I think it is pretty hard to recommend a specific school - truly you have to decide who you want to teach. Do browse the forum for more ideas on NO-NOs of ESL employment and more experiences with different age groups. The Saloon has special room for these discussions.
Don't say you can teach any age cause sorry, you may not be able to - it only seems that way in the beginning. But if you are especially new to teaching, you have to really consider how much you can handle (kids, school kids, high school kids, uni/college students or adults).
As for location, first decide on whether you are ok with teaching in places where winters are harsh and summers are warm or mild winters and hot summers or humid hot summers and humid but cool winters. China is pretty big and climatic conditions vary from province to province.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:38:17 AM »
Uh...maybe we kinda straying from the OP's intent a bit? mmmmmmmmmm

Roy, I WISH I had a school I could recommend to you. I really do. But after all my years here, I can tell you many schools to avoid...and not a single one I can endorse. bibibibibi

You're extremely unlikely to find "excellent" or even "good" among schools in China. The target most of us come to aim for is "tolerable"- something we can stand to work at and get a salary from, so we can go do all the things we REALLY want to do in China.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:22 AM »
Ok Roy, I can recommend my current school. You can have yer choice of Primary, Junior Middle, Middle Middle, Senior Middle, or High School. The salary ain't fantastic, but reasonable...Raoul won't agree with me, but this is Jinan! Accommodation is provided. A private apartment in a block on the School premises. Transportation is provided to whichever portion of the School you go to. The Principal is a very nice lady. She is open to reasonable suggestions and requests. I have been here for 3 years, some teachers longer. I could find higher money in Jinan, but I'm comfortable, and ...lazy! There are German teachers here, Japanese teachers here, French teachers here, and this year a Spanish teacher. The contract is for 12 months, so you get paid holidays. Airfare is also paid each year. Salary is paid fortnightly, without fail. There have been a few berks given the arse, because of their behaviour, but most of us are nice peoples. PM me if you want to investigate further.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:38 AM »
'Course, what he's not telling you is that no school owner or admin could ever be dodgier or more unpleasant than Gerge himself. aoaoaoaoao

No, seriously, I'm glad we're getting at least one good one on here. Lucky you, George.

It does seem to be true that most of the better experiences tend to come from schools that are in less popular, less wealthy, less-rapidly-developing cities (Did Jinan ever get indoor plumbing in? uuuuuuuuuu ), and from schools that pay lower, State-mandated salaries...

Of course, this means you have to live in less popular, less wealthy, less-rapidly-developing cities, and earn a lower salary... oooooooooo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:57:11 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:57:44 AM »
no school owner or admin could ever be dodgier or more unpleasant than Gerge himself
aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao aoaoaoaoao asasasasas asasasasas Bathplug!!
Quite seriously though. This would be a very nice "starter" school. You would spend your first year in China in a relaxed atmosphere, and get to know the place.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 02:07:58 AM »
and you can actually live in the city there - not out n the sticks in the education city. I actually did not mind Jinan proper, and if the school is decent it would be an ok place to start out in, and then move onward and upward to the bigger, dodgier locales. ababababab

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 03:20:50 AM »
I would recommend the place where I teach in Chengdu, it is an excellent uni in Chinese terms, the hours are okay, 10-12 classes per week (each class 45mins), the pay okay for those hours (4000RMB per month) and they do try to schedule the classes together so you should only be teaching two or three days a week which leaves you free to make more money the rest of the time doing private work. Downsides are that the classes are on the satellite campus which is a 40min bus ride from the main campus (there is a school bus and you get your fare paid). There is no teacher accommodation at the moment so you get an allowance of 1500 per month and even once there is teacher accom available (on the satellite campus) you could continue to live in your own place and take the allowance if you so chose. The place isn't perfect but no place I ever worked in the UK was so I'm quite happy here.

Only thing I would say, if you were to go for a job here, is hang out for one in the International Trade Dept on the bilingual programme as their English is much better than the English majors. PM me for contact info.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 04:00:20 AM »
I'll beat the drum for my school in Lin'an. Our illustrious Despot will argue that, before arriving in Lin'an, you have to cross a border and read a sign with the caption "This is where civilization ends. Continue at your own peril. Bring glass beads for the natives" but that is not true...well...not exactly...they took the sign down.

Nice uni, good pay as such. Lin'an is not a hopping party town and it's dirt cheap. To put it bluntly, I am having problems finding ways to spend my salary. I teach between 12-14 hours per week, the admin leaves me alone, the students are delightful, with few exceptions. There are instances of the usual TIFC nonsense but nothing a six-pack of Qingdao and some ranting can't cure.

I must concur with the member who stated that you should not look to teach any age. I taught kiddies and loathed it. I enjoy teaching at uni level.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 04:56:31 AM »
To put it bluntly, I am having problems finding ways to spend my salary.

OK, so we know who's funding the chicken bar excursions tomorrow. agagagagag

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
Very refreshing to read positive comments about teaching in China and recommendations for schools.  Unlike other ESL/EFL Teachers Boards.  Glad to see that many of you are enjoying your China experience.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
I'm enjoying my China experience immensely, for the most part. I just hate the asasasasas schools. agagagagag

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »
I can recommend my husband's kindergarten - it is a part-time work but they provide with visa and work permit (you pay for them yourself though but it is pretty cheap). No accommodation or other benefits but the pay is enough. Holidays aren't paid either. They pay hourly, pay taxes and you get your tax slip. Pay is regular without significant delays (there may be some due to weekends). Hours are mainly in the morning. They are very helpful and considerate and if you are on time and kids like you - they will have no problems with you. We live in Zhuhai. It is a city in the South of China. Very very humid and hot in summer and part of the spring/autumn. In winter it gets cold but usually not lower than 10C. The air is quite clean. Humidity is the only major problem - it can get as high as 86-90%.