Best teaching gig in your opinion?

• 20 replies

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Best teaching gig in your opinion?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:22 PM »
Agreed and more Modernist.

Get thyself to an "international school" and cert up. And even then...
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 03:01:02 AM »
When all the foreign teachers in your school/city seem weird........ It's not them that's weird.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
TBH not too many people would uproot their life and move halfway around the world, I think a baseline "weird" is to be accepted.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
Depends on the person, in my opinion. If you can take care of yourself, I think it's fine. I remember my first time in China after being in Korea, it was like being released from prison. Korean culture is stifling and absurd. I will take even a backwater in China over anyplace in Korea. As for being scammed or ripped off in China, you can't tell me Koreans are any better. Or for that matter Thais, Vietnamese, etc. Pretty much the only places in Asia that you can be assured of straight, honest dealings just based on the culture are HK (if you can get in), Singapore (even tougher), or Japan (if you can get over the hordes of weeabos and are willing to save nothing in exchange for the glory of living in the Great Nippon). Otherwise, you just have to watch yourself and assume that every so often you will have some issues. Be willing (and able) to walk when that happens.

Well, I am about to jump into the China uni waters in a month or so. My CV thus far includes 5 years in Laos and 6 in Korea, thus while still a newbie for the China scene I don't really consider myself a newbie.

In Laos I taught: (IGCSE) International School Elementary Grade 6 English, science, math. Language Academy general English, business writing, business English. Business College - years 1 - 5: writing, essay writing, hotel/restaurant management English, travel and tourism.

I Korea I have taught elementary, middle and high school: mostly low level, uncaring, tree stumps who'd rather play computer games or kick a soccer ball around.

I believe I am as ready as a newbie can be. I'mm also 55 if that means anything . And more importantly, I am perfectly willing to walk at any time, the house, furniture et al is totally paid for in Laos. I don't owe a cent to anyone and have everything I need to be happy. More would be better, but when wouldn't it?

Working in Korea started out great, but even a Saville Row suit made of asbestos fits perfectly - it still itches like hell though.

Most know I'll be working with cruisemonkey so that means at the very least I have a pretty damn good idea what I'm getting in to.

Opinions?

In Korea

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Most schools work one of two ways.

1. They just throw you in and away you go.

2. They have their way of doing things and you are expected to do it their way regardless of your experience.

Number 1 used to be far the most common, but recently, (a few years?) number two has been creeping up.

But cruisemonkey can just let you know what to expect at your school.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »
 I am currently working Public school in Korea. I have worked in China before at an International school. I hated it.   I may be looking to go to China again in the near future howver I really love working for public school in Korea. The only down side of Korea is that it is extremly ageist. I am fifty one. I have found that lately the job market in Korea is really saturated.  I am not sure whether the contract I am on will be renewed due to budget problems. Are there any jobs similar to EPIK( English Program in Korea) in China?