Chengdu Pollution These Days?

• 9 replies
Chengdu Pollution These Days?
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:52 PM »
So, back in 2008 I spent a year in China, most of it in Chengdu. I was there on May 12th.

For a while, I stayed in a hostel in the north part of the city, and had a girlfriend who lived in the south part, and used to walk the whole length of the city center nearly every day.

I found I quite liked the city, especially the river. In fact, when I wasn't walking from north Chengdu to the south side and back again, one of my haunts was the river bank.

Someone I know visited Chengdu last year and said that the river is now very polluted and stinky.

I mean, it was polluted when I was there, but according to him, it's become very difficult to ignore the smell.

Since we were both in Chengdu in 2008, I am inclined to believe him, but can anyone corroborate this?

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Chengdu Pollution These Days?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
I don't usually go near the river(s). I'm guessing you're referring to the Fu and the Nan rivers. I'm quite a hike from that area. So, I can't really say, but the air quality varies. As you already know, it's pretty foggy here year round, but typically it's mix of fog and smog. Lately though, we've had some rain come through and clear the air, as well as a slight breeze. We've had a few days of blue skies and I even got to see the sunrise once, even though most of the view was blocked by office buildings. That's the first time I've seen the sunrise in Chengdu. It was a sweet moment.  akakakakak

Hmmmmm...actually, it's been kind of nice as of late.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
Yes, I remember the fog. At first I hated it, but I came to love it.

I've ended up settled sort of indefinitely in an English town that gets about as much sunlight as Chengdu.

I'm always trying to find stuff online about what people are doing in Chengdu these days.

At least it's a good excuse to keep studying Chinese...

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »
Chengdu is awesome.  bfbfbfbfbf

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I've never been to Chengdu, but that didn't stop me researching and writing an article about it for for an ESL book recently. It's considered a bit of a success story for pollution reduction and urban regeneration - by Chinese standards. I probably wouldn't swim in the river, though.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »
I went past the river on the second ring road last Saturday (I don't know if is was in the east or the west - I'm not good with directions) and even though it was raining, I could still smell the river as we traveled across the bridge.

NATO

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Chengdu is awesome.  bfbfbfbfbf
It is, I miss that place.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »
The haze cleared away and we had a gorgeous sunny day today.  akakakakak

mlaeux

• How's the water?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:38:23 AM »
The last two days have been absolutely hideous.

The reading climbs up to a little over 400 then it freezes for a couple of hours.
Then magically the reading is a little over 200 again and it's just as soupy out there as it was when the reading was hovering around 400. Nothing has changed. No rain to speak of, no wind, nothing...

I'm not buying the Kool-aide.asasasasas