Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
You should post that in city information thread.  agagagagag

« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
Hi all! Darrick here. I'm a californian primarily having gone to high school there. Grew up in Hawaii (windward Oahu), Alaska (Anchorage), and California (San Francisco) but I was born in Colorado and half of my family is from the deep south (Alabama and north Florida). I did my graduate studies in anthropology and got divorced all in Austin, Texas where my three boy's (17,19,21) still live.

Now, I'll be moving to Shanghai in less than three weeks! bfbfbfbfbf

I'm going on a ten month contract to teach oral English at Sanda University. aoaoaoaoao

Anybody else in the Shanghai area? agagagagag

D

George

• My view of China
« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »
Welcome aboard, Darrick, and welcome you to China!! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #288 on: August 15, 2007, 03:49:39 PM »
Well, Suzhou's a short train ride from Shanghai, and you'll find a few of us there.  But now that you mention it, I can't think of any Saloonies in the Big Whore.  Good choice though, if you like big cities.  Shanghai is a discount new York (not that I've ever been).
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #289 on: August 15, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
Thanks George!

CAD, that's just what I'm hoping to find in 'the big whore' ahahahahah Well, something like I imagine NY to be anyhow. Like yourself, I've never been either. There was good pay, position and quite a bit of anticipated diversion that went into the decision to try Shanghai as a 'first post' in China. The adrenaline is already flowing freely. I'm going to be exhausted by the time I actually arrive.  bibibibibi

D

« Reply #290 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:55 PM »
I think you'll get a kick out of it.  I originally moved to Suzhou because Raoul found me a great job, and it's proximity to Shanghai.  Now, thanks to that high speed train they put in, I could go from standing in my apartment to sitting in a Shanghai subway car within an hour.  Technically I could commute.

Real estate in Shanghai is too expensive, though, while in Suzhou it's still dirt cheap.  So I'll have to be a weekend metrosophisticate.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2007, 12:39:43 AM »
Welcome, Darrick! Have a drink or two on Con!  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2007, 12:54:49 AM »
Welcome Birddog and Darrick! I swiped Stil's credit card, so drinks are on Stil me agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2007, 01:15:44 AM »
Thanks, Eric! --
 and welcome, Darrick!

I've been in China for 4 years now (in Nanjing -- about 3 1/2 hours northwest of Shanghai), but I only joined this forum a few days ago. The folks are extremely hospitable and helpful here.

All best wishes with your new job at Sanda. I made some comments about that school a few days ago in the reviews forum.

Please let me know if you have any questions and/or concerns about teaching and working in China. I've been to Shanghai a number of times, but very briefly each time. Shanghai is a great city, but it offers a limited view of the rest of China. I hope you will have the chance to travel or perhaps teach in other cities, as well! Foreigners get little special attention in Shanghai (that's good!), but in other places (not only in rural areas but cities as well), you will be stared at like some sort of exotic zoo animal.  aqaqaqaqaq

Chinese people are mostly quite friendly and hospitable, but they can be extremely aggravating to work for!  ffffffffff

All best wishes to you and wishing you pleasant travel to Shanghai!

"I wish my first spoken word was 'Quote' so I could make my last word 'Unquote'."
— Stephen Wright.

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2007, 01:35:51 AM »
Also a big WELCOME from me. agagagagag

I think, I am the only one here who is not a teacher - but that is ok for me, that means I am somehow special bfbfbfbfbf

cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

George

• My view of China
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:10 AM »
that means I am somehow special thumbup
ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah
Don't kid youseff!!! Just means you isn't as smart as we is! agagagagag agagagagag

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2007, 02:04:41 AM »
@George
We can talk about that again as soon as I get my Job in China - then we compare our salaries  afafafafaf

cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2007, 02:14:38 AM »
Oy there, money does not make you smart, only rich and affluent and powerful and lets you live a life on easy street and..errr...I mean...guess it is smart to have money...umm...potts, blitz und donnerwetter!  oooooooooo
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:26 AM »
Well said, Eric...............................I think!! bibibibibi

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2007, 02:20:52 AM »
Money = corruption in China.

Teachers = no money ergo not corrupt.