Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1785 on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
Welcome Cynicd05! agagagagag I hope that things work out well for you, so please keep us updated.

« Reply #1786 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:12 AM »
Going through a career change of teaching skiing/snowboarding and other outdoor recreation the last ten years to tefl. Looking forward to learning from the forum and hopefully can contribute.

It all started with reading In China With Green Day a few years back, then The River at the Center of the World, now can't get country off my mind. I have a job lined up in shenzhen this spring.

« Reply #1787 on: November 29, 2014, 05:55:52 AM »
Welcome to the Saloon  bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag agagagagag

I look forward to hearing about your experiences in  China  agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #1788 on: November 30, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
G'day and welcome to the Saloon sbco!  Would you tell us a bit about yourself such as Country of origin?  I'm sorry that I can't be of much help as far as China goes, but there are lots of nice folk here who have a lot to offer. All the best mate! bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag

« Reply #1789 on: December 13, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm a 27 yo Aussie guy, just graduated from a BA majoring in international relations and Chinese, and am planning to teach English in Shanghai next year. I don't have a TEFL/TESOL yet. My heart is pretty set on Shanghai, so any advice about that city and in particular good schools there would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1790 on: December 13, 2014, 05:47:14 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse, JamesP87!  agagagagag Shanghai rocks but you need a well paying job as it can be pretty expensive!
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

AMonk

« Reply #1791 on: December 13, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Hello.  Welcome to the madhouse lunatic asylum Saloon agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1792 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
Generally speaking (and in China even 2 and 2 only add up to 4 generally speaking) I think that employers in Shanghai look for a bit of teaching experience. Technically you need a couple of years experience to get a Foreign Experts Certificate anywhere in China. You can drive a coach and horses through that requirement most places, but Shanghai not so much.

That doesn't mean you won't be able to get a job in Shanghai. I'm sure you will. A job that anybody in their right mind would take? Not so sure.

I would suggest that you at least consider other cities, as this will greatly increase your chances of getting a good job.

Is there any reason why you have your heart set on Shanghai?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1793 on: December 14, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »
I recently got offered a job at a Uni which purported to be in Suzhou but on consulting Mr Google turned out to be just between Suzhou and Shanghai and nearer to Shanghai.It was a good gig and with easy weekend distance of both those fair cities. You might be interested?? It was a good gig for sure,good money for few hours,nice apartment etc etc etc PM me if you are.

« Reply #1794 on: December 14, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
G'day and welcome JamesP87! agagagagag I'm in Brisbane, where are you from?

AMonk

« Reply #1795 on: December 14, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »
@ Piglet
JamesP87 is - at present - not able to receive PMs.  As soon as he's Posted a bit more, he will upgrade to Member status and be able to send/receive private communications agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1796 on: December 15, 2014, 05:24:31 AM »
Ok Amonk thanks for the heads up!

« Reply #1797 on: December 15, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
Thanks for all of your replies, and sorry for not responding sooner. Just like Mr. Bean - not really, just seems like a cool city and I like that it is very cosmopolitan and international, but also has authentic Chinese parts. Piglet, that sounds really good, I would definitely be interested! I like Suzhou as well. Could you give me the details? Granny Mae - from Brissy!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1798 on: December 15, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
The college is in a place called Taicang you can find it on google map this is their website http://www.wjxvtc.cn/.
I think you have to post more for me to be able to send you more details by PM.

« Reply #1799 on: December 16, 2014, 01:54:28 AM »
Thanks for that lead Piglet, I will look into that. An employer recently wrote to me and said that the you need a 120-hr TESOL qualification before you can apply for the Z-visa. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so which TESOL qualification do you need to have? Can it be an online course, or does it have to be a specific course? Thanks!