when a college becomes a university...?

• 6 replies
when a college becomes a university...?
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:06:35 PM »
What are the requirements?

Is there any public document explaining what constitutes a university?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: when a college becomes a university...?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
Intriguing question, both for China and other countries.

I know in the US, public colleges and unis are given their designations by the states (and rules vary by state), possibly in some sort of conjunction with one or more education certification organizations.  Private ones seem to select whatever title works to bring in the most applicants in the local environment.

I've got no idea how this works inside of China, but hope someone who does will share.  Then I'll be able to decide if I'm opening Lunatic College or the University of Lunacy. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
I vaguely remember a boring talk at orientation many years ago, and the advisor/professor said that a university is made up of colleges (e.g., college of liberal arts, college of business, etc.). And each college has departments for each major.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 04:50:47 PM »
lol yeah, in one or another of the Englishes, but designations in normal usage in China seem all over the place. In particular, "college" meaning "normal university" meaning a degree-granting tertiary education institution that is not actually a university within the state system but rather a tremendously overgrown teacher's college. At some point they want to transcend their origins, but gaining "university" accreditation seems to be quite the process.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Ivyman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:38 PM »
That is the hard part, each country has different designations on what College Vs. University actually means.

1.  In the UK and Commonwealth, College = high school; university = higher education.

Hence, Eton College, Pembroke College, Dulwich College etc. are high schools.

2.  In the US, schools are designated college or university by when they founded, did they have a grad school?

Hence, Harvard had no grad school, but Yale had a grad school of divinity.  Hence Harvard College Vs. Yale University.  It has no deal with quality.

3.  In US public schools, after the Morrill Land Grant Act (of 1876), each state could run their public land grant colleges their own way, but the organization was the same:

Community Colleges could do up to the first two years of undergrad, ready for transfer.

State Schools, such as "Cal State" could do undergraduate degrees, both in theory and applied fields.  For example, biology vs. agriculture, theoretical physics vs. applied physics, etc.  They could also give master's degrees, but no PhD degrees.

University of _______, would focus on undergrad, graduate school, could grant Phd, and do research.  Hence, a degree in biology at UC Berkeley would focus more on research, not practical use or teaching.

Now, over time, many of these boundaries have been blurred; many community colleges have deals with some four year schools to have some sort of bachelors.  Action research can be done, even at State Schools (e.g. action research in economic theory, from Cal State ________).  Also, even theroetical places are now participating in co-ops, etc. 

4.  In China, GaoKao scores determine admission to either colleges or universities.  Students with higher GaoKao scores go to universities.  College programs can be completed in three years; universities completed in four years.

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 01:20:17 AM »
Thanks for such a lucid explanation agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...