IELTS examining

• 76 replies

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: IELTS examining
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
Current (October 2009) ad to recruit examiners:
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=20677
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:08 AM »
Dress code?  There's a dress code for examiners in China?  The current info packet for South China examiners says:

General guidelines
Your clothing should be semi-formal, neat, clean and ironed. CN002 recommends:
Modest-length skirts and dresses
Full-length trousers
Shirts with sleeves and collars (In winter months, collar and tie should still be visible)
Ties (Compulsory)
Tailored jackets (Optional/unnecessary in hot conditions)
Jerseys/sweaters or cardigans
Soft-soled shoes.
Ladies shoes: heels and toes should be partially or fully covered

A TIE?!?!?

I may have to rethink my wardrobe.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
A TIE?!?!?

I may have to rethink my wardrobe.

Lots of nice ties available in China, silk or pseudo-silk. I've bought many, mostly
as gifts for people back home. Suzhou is one good place to buy. The underground
shopping center in Zhuhai, just by the Macau border is another.

Monkey King

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »
Guangzhou / South China is the strictest testing region on dress code for some reason.  It's a bit more laid back elsewhere (no ties in Shanghai area!).

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
I'll be in Changsha.  Do they even sell ties in Changsha?

I'm much more of a polo kinda guy.  In a business shirt I have that rumpled sack of potatoes look.  So, I put on a nice polo and get the GQ vibe happening, or I can wear a tie and look like an intern.  

Actually the only time I ever wore ties in my life, aside from work experience in school, was in Thailand getting a CELTA.  Dress casual, be professional, is my preference, but there one had to wear a tie no mater what.

Anyone want to recommend a good business shirt?  How does one wear a business shirt anyway?  I find cotton shirts too heavy in summer and polyester too like sandpaper.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:50:26 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Dex

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 03:01:16 AM »
I think the desire to dress formally in the South must be part of the whole open-for-business attitude and international trade blah blah blah.

Wouldn't mind being an examiner in Changsha too!
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 04:39:50 AM »
I have been considering pursuing IELTS exam certification and missed this thread.  It's a goldmine of information. Thanks!

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 03:29:30 AM »
w/r/t IELTS and references from past employers, the current iteration of the application asks for a written evaluation from your current employer as well as contact information for your most recent employer. Do they dig up info from the others? If they do, good luck to them…finding some of these schools in China won't be much fun.

Also, they require original degree certificates to be sent along with transcripts of any ESOL-related work.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
The Shanghai office are currently recruiting examiners. For all I know, other offices may be as well.

Direct quote from email I got: "Minimum Professional Requirements: a university degree, recognised TESOL qualification, and three years of TESOL experience with age 16 and older."

Contact person is Sheryl Cooke. I have her permission to post contact info, but I do not like putting email addresses in publicly accessible posts, since spammers may harvest them. Hers is in the format firstname.lastname at organisation. The organisation is britishcouncil.org.cn

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:08 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Pashley. I'll take a gander to see if the BJ office is also recruiting.

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
I tried applying, asking about the "A TEFL/TESOL qualification from a recognised institution" requirement.

They can't tell me however what is a 'recognised institution' as it would promote one institution over another!  llllllllll

It seems annoying as I'd be well up for heading down to GZ from Changsha on the train to make a few kuai. Online ones don't count, apparently, and by the sounds my contact was making, it seems some hardcore qualification like the CELTA would do.

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
I'm currently getting my application together, assuming that the Guangzhou office is also recruiting. I should be a shoe in with all the quals, but have to get through the rigid training!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

jpd01

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
Just out of curiousity does the British council hire fulltime examiners in China? I was just curious if they only hired part time or free lance workers? Just seems interesting that a institute like the British Council would essentially ask people in China to work illegally (under the strictest letter of the law a residents permit is issued for one emplyer only) Doesn't seem to fit in with their so called ethical non for profit business ideals.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
Just out of curiousity does the British council hire fulltime examiners in China? I was just curious if they only hired part time or free lance workers? Just seems interesting that a institute like the British Council would essentially ask people in China to work illegally (under the strictest letter of the law a residents permit is issued for one emplyer only) Doesn't seem to fit in with their so called ethical non for profit business ideals.

As of 2004 when I last dealt with them, they did not hire full-time examiners. Nor would they provide a letter to help you get a business visa. They seemed to regard getting a visa, and if necessary permission from your school for the outside work, as entirely your problem. Contracts I have seen generally allow outside work with permission, though I'm not certain what the letter of the law is on this.

As of 2004, they also thought they'd likely soon have permission to open Council-run schools in China. I have yet to hear of any, though.

It may also be worth noting that it is non purely a British Council show here. There are three organisations involved -- the Council, an Aussie group called IDP Education, and the Cambridge testing group. In some places, IELTS is run by only one group -- the Council in most of Eastern Europe, the Aussies in various Pacific islands. In others, such as Japan, both are present and they compete. China was (as of 2004 again) the only place where they run it together as a joint venture.