• Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: A Trip to the Changsha Zoo
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Your photos always amaze me.  bjbjbjbjbj

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »

The last time I went to the Changsha Zoo was in 2004 and it was horrible. Small dirty cages with unhealthy animals. The big cats were all skin and bones, pacing back and forth. Most animals had huge sores and their bodies looked half-dead. Their eyes... fully dead.

I went with trepidation to the new zoo (a few years old now) they call an ecological zoo and it was really quite nice. It's spacious and the animals look really good. Healthy and often playing. I used to raise snakes for the pet trade and I was pleasantly surprised to see how good their reptile housing was. Quality enclosures and equipment and very clean.

They had buses through the safari area and carts to take you to certain points in the walking area. Everything, save the reptile and panda housing was open air. The monkeys were not caged but on islands with moats they couldn't cross. The lemur island was accessible and you could play with them.

All signs had English translations, although the preferred dialect was Chinglish.

If it wasn't for the animals visiting (people throwing water bottles at the animals to get their attention or just to be the really super cool guy that hits the tiger, banging on glass, tossing garbage everywhere except the trash containers) it would have been almost perfect as far as zoos go.

Your photos always amaze me.  bjbjbjbjbj

Thank you.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
Cool pics! Thanks Stil!!! agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »
Beautiful pics...I think the water-garbage-rubbish throwers should be cordially invited to have a little heart-to-heart with that yawning lion about hygiene and such...I am sure the lion would be most convincing  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
Thank you for sharing, Stil bfbfbfbfbf
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 03:17:33 AM »
Maybe the zoo could tell people not to throw trash or they will have to get off the bus to clean up the mess.   bfbfbfbfbf

Great pictures  akakakakak
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
Thanks for the really great photos Stil. I really care about all the creatures and even feed the ants in a special place in my kitchen. As a matter of curiosity, did they have any Kangaroos there?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
Yeah, Granny they did. Unfortunately  I didn't get a good shot of them.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
I envy you, Stil. I went to the Hangzhou Zoo recently...posting pictures from that place would make statues weep...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »

I envy you, Stil. I went to the Hangzhou Zoo recently...posting pictures from that place would make statues weep...

I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't have expected Changsha to be ahead of Hangzhou or Suzhou in this way.

It made me surprisingly happy. There are so many anecdotes of uncaring behaviour of people here towards animals and each other and while they still happen it seems things here are getting better. The zoo wasn't just cosmetically better, the animals were healthy and you could see in there eyes they are doing ok. People seem to be taking care of their pets better too.

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Great pictures, Stil. I bought the NEX 5N in Houston on Thursday. They had the NEX 7, but the NEX 5N was on sale at the Sony store in the Galleria for $499.99 US (with SEL1855 lens), so I went with it. It's really great.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:52:33 AM »
That's a great price 冉迪, make sure to figure out how to set the custom settings for the scroll wheel. It makes navigation much, much better. I think the SEL18-55 is quite good. I also got it when I bought my 5N. The pictures here where shot with the SEL55-210 except for the reptiles. They where shot with the SEL50 f1.8.

In case you haven't seen it -  NEX-5N handbook for download (the extra big user manual)

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »
Excellent shots as per usual,Stil thanks!
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord