Went onward to Kashgar

The grand mosque

The tomb of Abakh Hoja

Pottery "factory"

Sleepy guy in Kashgar old city

Old town Kashgar doorway

Crumbling Kashgar

Kashgar carpet weaver

Kashgar craftsman making a Rawap -- we bought one of these, sort of like a banjo

Kashgar covered ladies -- we saw lots of women in full on religious gear

Then we took a trip into the mountains, to see Lake Karakul and the Karakourum highway

Opal Village Monday Market

Lake Bulunkul

Yurt

Karakul lake with a yurt beside

I'll have to continue this later since resizing the pics is rather time consuming but I have more mountain pics plus some really nice pics of Turpan and the surrounding area as well that I want to post. :)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Xinjiang Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »

Kashgar covered ladies -- we saw lots of women in full on religious gear

Mmmmmm, almost some ankle tease there.

Thanks for the pics TLD!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
Good stuff, TLD! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 12:47:51 AM »
Wonderful LD thanks!  bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
 bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

now, see, I've been to Xinjiang a dozen times and it seems like you've seen more of it than I have ...

*envy*
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:05:58 AM »
Thanks guys!

Here are some more pics

Snow capped mountains. This one I believe is Mt Gonger. These are all 7000m+ peaks. 

Another look at Karakul. Muztag Ata is more clear in the background in this one.

Mt. Gonger from our car

Back in Kashgar, one last day

Kashgar kids

Chillin outside the mosque

Then we went off to Turpan. Turpan was really hot this time of year, but still a really cool place. It pretty much never rains there so stuff is made completely out of mud-brick.

Ruins at Gaochang. These ruins were really really cool. This city was destroyed by the mongols when they invaded the region aroun the 12th-13th C. 

Village of Tuyoq, an ancient oasis village

Village cemetary, tombs are also a pilgrimage cite for muslims. This cemetary has 1400 years of history.

Tombs and shrines

More tombs in Tuyoq

Tombs with the flaming mountains behind

Emin Minaret in Turpan. This thing is made out of mud and was built in the 1700s and is still standing just as awesome as ever.

Another view of Emin minaret in Turpan

From Turpan we went on back to Beijing via Lanzhou, but didn't take a lot of pics there. Not much to see in LZ anyhow, we just went and checked out a cool bridge, first one to cross the yellow river, but that's about it. It was an amazing trip overall though, anyone thinking of heading to Xinjiang should absolutely do it. Kashgar in particular is not to be missed. Don't believe the people who talk about Han-ification, that place is still as close to a foreign country as you'll get on Chinese soil, totally surreal. We actually had real trouble communicating because no one spoke Mandarin beyond a few phrases.  ahahahahah

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Coooool! Thanks TLD!!! akakakakak
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
Many thanks TLD! So many questions spring to mind when I look at so much history. I really appreciate the time that you have taken to show me things that I will never get to see. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
Wonderful pictures! How did you get around out there?

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Wonderful pictures! How did you get around out there?

We traveled from city to city by train. It was pretty epic -- 5 train rides, none of which were less than 20 hours. In Kashgar we went out to Karakul with a guide since these days foreigners need a permit to enter the Pakistani border area. We used Abdul Wahab tours, a local Uighur-run agency and they were pretty good. We were supposed to go on an overnight desert trek with camels, camping in the desert and the works except my daughter got sick and we had to cancel that part.

The rest of the stuff we just took taxis, the bus, and in Turpan we hired a driver for the day since we were sort of short on time.