Thursday Sept 10 is Teacher's Day

• 19 replies
Thursday Sept 10 is Teacher's Day
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »
I got a rock last year (A Charlie Brown Hallowe'en reference)

Any good stories?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Re: Thursday Sept 10 is Teacher's Day
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:39 AM »
My students at one school (aged 8-11) gave us (4 foreign teachers) hand made little paper "Happy Teacher's Day" gifts - cute

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:57:36 AM »
My students know me and so gave me tea!  Nice when people know what you would like.

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:58:31 AM »
I usually duck out during the break in my class and refill my tea bottle with hot water.

Today a student did it for me "to show her appreciation and love".
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:56:31 AM by Schnerby »

mae

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:10:44 AM »
Today I received 2 gifts. One was a cute glass mug with "Happy time" written on it and a cartoon character with the words "2008-destined to be a unique and eventful year" and a picture frame with the card inside reading " I love you..........Whenever you are blue, just think of me. You share all my joy and sorrow.........Love.    akakakakak akakakakak
How thoughtful. This is my first time teaching (and in China). I've only been here about two weeks.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »
Today I received two bouquets of flowers, a box of Ferreros and some hand made art.

SWEET

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:49:34 AM »
Flowers and a whole bunch of phone calls and messages.

DWA

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »
I have no scheduled classes on Thursday anyway.... 

The Uni had a "party" in the evening which consisted of a CCTV-look-a-like program lasting some 2 1/2 hours.....party???? Bad singing, bad dancing and bad comedy skits....even the teachers performances were just OK. By the defination of 'party' there should be food of some kind, drink of some kind and maybe dancing.....none of which could be seen anywhere.  I sat on a very hard wood chair   :shaking: for 3 hours with no supper.  Happy Teachers Day?.....not here.

On top of that we are a divided Schjool....I live on the old Campus downtown, program was on teh new campus out of town.  Bus Ride began at 6 PM and takes 20 minutes for a 7:30 PM program...so there's another 45 minute wait and sit. Near the end of the program,  9:45 PM, the bus driver came and got me because the "bus is leaving now".  Bus could not get out of the gate because of the people rush and we sat in the same spot for almost 20 minutes....11:30 PM arrival time at the Old Campus.

Lovely Evening ?????  Yes, if you're a Politican and love this kind of 'rush and wait' like the Army does.  No, if you're an average citizen.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »
Today's classes gave me a wooden bowl with a big Buddha top and tea mug that makes whatever room it is in smell like mildew. I also received an email from my assigned "buddy" today at my real email address (as opposed to my "china" address for my students), which means my FAO must have given it to him and it is now amongst the student body and wave upon wave of chinglish emails will soon be filling my inbox. awesome.  asasasasas

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:43:54 PM »
Teacher's Day has lasted 3 days!  ahahahahah  Invited to lunch by post-grads.  Non-majors that I don't teach, but coached for a competition back in April.

I think we should introduce this to the west!!

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »
My school had a dinner for all the teachers last night, which was nice. I got a beautiful card and roses from my Seniors. My 10th graders gave me a notebook autographed by the whole class with a poem written inside. Kind of a random gift, but whatever. I also got a box of chocolates from our admins and one of the 10th grade students gave huge flower baskets to all the teachers.

I saw a bit on the news last night about how Teacher's Day gifts are getting out of hand and some schools have had to reign in parents who want to buy really extravagant gifts for their kids' teachers (as a guanxi forging device of course). I'm kind of glad that even though my kids are all super rich they still gave us heartfelt handmade stuff. Maybe I'm just a sap but I'd rather have a sweet card that the kids wrote themselves than some fancy stuff picked out by their parents.

synthette58

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »
We had a lovely evening of amateur Beijing Opera by our Chinese teachers, then our FAO hand delivered huge bouquets of flowers to us (along with a very tidy cash gift!!).......and cards from all of our students in Oz.
Very Cool Day!!
 bhbhbhbhbh

Ruth

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »
Updated my bank book today.  Still no pay for July or August, but a nice bonus was deposited a couple days ago.  They don't tell us why unless we ask and it's not consistent from year to year, but sure is nice to be given extra money every so often.  By the timing, I'm guessing this latest bonus is for teachers day.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Borkya

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
It was only my 4th day of teaching but students from my tues class found me and gave me a cute little mug, which i thought was really sweet of them. Also, the int'l office gave us huge bouquets of flowers with glitter (which got all over my apt) and 200 yuan which was nice.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »
as usual, all i got was that big lump of coal in my stocking - oh wait, that was the other holiday, this one i got the usual nothing.  bqbqbqbqbq