Amazing!

• 3 replies

gonzo

Amazing!
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »
Spotted this advert. for IELTS trainers. The job doesn't look too bad, but being over-qualified is a distinct disadvantage. I should have done a one month CELTA instead of a two year MA TESOL!

Qualifications
Essential Criteria (To apply for the positions you MUST meet the clients following requirements):
- A high proficiency in English
- Native English Speakers (or IELTS band of 8/9)
- Bachelors Degree (any subject but must be from an accredited university)
- CELTA/ Trinity cert TESOL certification (alternative qualifications are not accepted, even if they are considered higher including an MA)
- 3 years\' EFL teaching experience with at least 1-year MUST be post-qualification
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Amazing!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »
1. They are in cahoots with a local branch of CELTA/DELTA

2. They have had trouble with "educated" people before and feel they can push around those with under a M.A./Ph.D.

3. They don't want to pay for educated people

4. There's a stupid cold going around that office, luckily it's easy to not catch it...
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

2. They have had trouble with "educated" people before and feel they can push around those with under a M.A./Ph.D.

From memory it was 20,000 a month, plus accommodation. Not too bad. However, I agree with the "educated" part. The whole CELTA/ IELTS/ British Council consortium does not appreciate independent thought or opinion. Its certainly a case of toe-ing {is that a word?} the party line.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
In some sense I understand where they are coming from - IELTS is trying to be as standard as possible. Hence going through a related training program, and no more, is exactly the type of person they need for their team. I've worked for places in the past where bringing insights to the job just made the management feel nervous.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung