What's in the water in USA?

• 284 replies
Re: What's in the water in USA?
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
I feel for America.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's Canada was stuck with a runaway deficit during a recession and it HURT.  Enter a financial genius by the name of Paul Martin, who raised taxes and cut, cut, cut spending.  The miracle is that he slashed things to the point that they teetered but didn't collapse; he darted back and forth, restoring the bare minimum funding to keep each program afloat like a pie late spinner.  The banks liked it:  confidence was restored.

When the budget was finally balanced he started increasing spending- but at a shockingly low rate.  He stressed the need to pay down debt more aggressively than restoring spending or cutting taxes.

Now, America is still in recession- maybe not technically, but still very sluggish- so the guv is limited in how much they can do for now.  They'll have to raise taxes, and cut things they kind of need.

It'll hurt, but it's been done before.

Just read a headline saying Obama has cited both the recent election and polls showing the public supports his position, thus the lack of an agreement would fall on the GOP's head.  I'm inclined to agree:  when Ronald Reagan won reelection the Dems made an effort to work with him. 
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

A-Train

« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
elzoog wrote:  "You realize that many "liberal" policies were started by Nixon right?"

Perfect.  This is history as taught by Anne Coulter.  Along with "McCarthy was right" and "Hoover was a Keynesian".  Conservatives elected Nixon, re-elected him and forced him into resignation when they, finally, withdrew their support, (thank you Ed Gurney).

As for Hoover, I'll quote Brad DeLong who says it more succinctly than I could.  He's responding to someone who's quoting virtually the same numbers that elzoog is using and putting them into proper context.

"I think that Megan McArdle's major problem is that she is looking at one table in OMB's Historical Tables. She is not reading Hoover's Budget Messages or any other documents from the Hoover administration, not reading histories of the Hoover administration, not identifying how what congress finally enacted and what Hoover signed differed from what Hoover had originally proposed--or indeed, at how as the Great Depression deepened Hoover decided at the very start of calendar year 1932--halfway through fiscal year 1932--to push for measures (Reconstruction Finance Corporation, Home Loan Bank, direct loans to fund state Depression relief programs) that increased spending--but did so alongside the Revenue Act of 1932 that increased taxes.

After he decided that he was President and that the Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon whom he had inherited from Coolidge worked for him, Hoover did decide to do something to fight the Great Depression. Tax increases to try to balance the budget in order to call down the confidence fairy made up the biggest part of his plan. But Hoover also sought to fund state relief. And he sought to set up GSE's (RTC, HLB) to restart broken capital markets.

But to say that "Hoover was no budget-cutter" misses most of the story. Hoover would have been a budget-cutter in normal times. Hoover was a budget-balancer. Hoover held the line against powerful political forces that sought to increase government spending in the Great Depression for fully 2 1/2 years before endorsing what seem to us to be half-measures."

In Twain's words, "There are three types of lies. Lies, damned lies, and statistics".  elzoog has submitted the latter.  Or perhaps a better quote from Johns and Quay is more appropriate:  "...he knows the words but not the music.".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

A-Train

« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
Ya gotta luv it.  Quick, sign the attached petition to stop Obama's "gun control" plan.  Forget that one has not yet been proposed or that gun control has literally moved backward during his administration. Facebook has gone crazy with people's declarations of Obama's fascism, communism whateverisms.

http://nagr.org/M1garand.aspx
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
End Whateverism Now!  bababababa
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
"If [more gun control] happens it's gonna spark a civil war, and I'll be glad to fire the first shot...I'm not letting anybody take my guns. If it goes one inch further, I'm going to start killing people."
—James Yeager, who runs a firearms and tactical training company
Lurrve dem guns!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
My observations are that the Weapons Act in Australia has certainly removed a lot of weapons.  I am in the process of transferring my five weapons to my Daughter In Law since my son is still waiting for his licence. These folk live out in the countryside on a property. The weapons I have belonged to my husband and they will eventually go to my Grandsons. I was talking to the Weapons Licensing Branch yesterday to advise them that both my first names had been spelled incorrectly on the Application to Renew Weapons Act Licence. Even though THEY made the mistake, (we have a new system) I have to take a certified copy of my Birth Certificate to the Police Station to have it amended. bibibibibi Wonder what sort of problems we will have with the transfer of weapons papers if I don't comply?

A-Train

« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
It just keeps gettin' better;

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

"Man who helped Sandy Hook kids is harassed by conspiracy theorists"

Pearl S. Buck

George

• My view of China
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
"Obama is SO elitist! HE gets to carry nuclear 'football,' but feds ARREST private citizens trying to assemble nuclear device!"
-- Robert George tweet
ahahahahah ahahahahah

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
"Obama is SO elitist! HE gets to carry nuclear 'football,' but feds ARREST private citizens trying to assemble nuclear device!"
-- Robert George tweet
ahahahahah ahahahahah

That's because assembling such a device is dangerous.  People who want to own one need to buy it from a licensed dealer. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

gonzo

« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »
I'd be sending the gun freaks, weapons and all, down to Guatemala City just to see how many make it back. There's the logical Second Amendment end-point.

My Australian next door neighbour is a psychopath [assessed and has spent time in a facility] who hates me with a passion. If he had a gun, I'd wake up dead tomorrow. He doesn't, I have court orders against him, and the cops are so on his case he has trouble breathing. But with a gun?
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

A-Train

« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »
No topic would be complete unless we can drag the President's daughters into the fray.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/01/17/nra_ad_about_obama_s_daughters_david_keene_says_ad_wasn_t_about_the_president.html

"The ad, first released online Tuesday night, calls the president an "elitist hypocrite" for pushing for stronger gun-control laws while his daughters are protected by armed Secret Service agents. "Are the president’s kids more important than yours?" the ad asks at its outset. "Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their school?""

Pearl S. Buck

caley1313

• DH Allison, MBA, TESL
    • My Photo Gatherings
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
No topic would be complete unless we can drag the President's daughters into the fray.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/01/17/nra_ad_about_obama_s_daughters_david_keene_says_ad_wasn_t_about_the_president.html

"The ad, first released online Tuesday night, calls the president an "elitist hypocrite" for pushing for stronger gun-control laws while his daughters are protected by armed Secret Service agents. "Are the president’s kids more important than yours?" the ad asks at its outset. "Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools when his kids are protected by armed guards at their school?""

I have breakfast four times weekly with some old farts down here in North Carolina. One fellow arrived this morning and said he had just gone to his doctor and said his blood pressure was up. The doctor wanted to know why. The fellow stated that he had been listening to Fox News and that he was more than pissed with all the executive orders Obama had issued around gun control. When he arrived at the breakfast diner, this poor fellow was quite apoplectic with steam rising from his head. Such is life in the gun-loving southland. Thankfully, the good wife and I will be in Shaoxing in another month. Que sera, sera.
Carpe Diem, mi amigo, or...Seize the Big Fish as they say here in Carolina

A-Train

« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
This just about says it all:

The national day of "RESISTANCE" is coming soon on 2/23 in cities all across the country! 2/23 has a significance in that .223 is the caliber that an AR-15 uses. We are scheduling many top conservatives to speak. Stay tuned for more information on these historic rallies in support of our right to bear arms.
http://tacticaloffense.com/news/?p=1278

Pearl S. Buck

George

• My view of China
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
"You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun."
—Rush Limbaugh

Words fail me!

« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
"You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun."