Stupid students, I mean the dumb as a bag of rocks kind

• 56 replies

Monkey King

Re: Stupid students, I mean the dumb as a bag of rocks kind
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
Haha, yes, sometimes the apathy of these kind of students is often matched by a weird determination to subvert your every attempt at getting them involved, no matter  what it takes...

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
One thing I tell new teachers is to engage a new class with each student one on one. Not for every question, but first start with a few warm ups:

The first few with a simple hello, good morning

Then what's your name with some more kids

As they get more comfortable (gage their reactions and responses) turn it up accordingly. If they have problems, don't denegrate them (adults) with 'what's your favourite colour' or 'how do you spell cat?'

I've often found the students themselves give me material to use in class, be it clothing, something they carried in like a musical instrument, or even something they did before class
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »

I remember when I was this naive.....good times

[/quote]

ah, but in knowing im naive, does that count for something? that teacher didnt know he was awful.....

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:03 AM »

I remember when I was this naive.....good times

ah, but in knowing im naive, does that count for something? that teacher didnt know he was awful.....
[/quote]

That was the main problem with the guy in the film. He was moaning on about how the students didn't want to learn and noone turned up to his English Corner class and it didn't occur to him that he might be doing something wrong.
Hasn't he ever seen a teaching movie? they always begin with a bunch of terrible students who the teacher has to 'reach' :D

What I do in the first few classes is make everyone in the class take turns to stand up and finish a simple sentence like 'My favourite celebrity is ______ because _______' relevant to the lesson just so that everybody speaks....

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:52 AM »
You want to talk stupid students?? Ok, here we go...I just graded 5 Am Lit Classes. The exam consisted of multiple choice, identify the quote and Full-sentence answers. For the entire term, every class, 32 class in all for every class, I have told them that the final part had to be answered with a full sentence, SVO structure, pretty dashed simple. And yet, out of 230 students, 92 failed that part or nearly failed. In the review class I basically gave them all the right answers, made sure to point out what stories and where in the stories they might want to highlight for the exam and it was an open book exam. 25 questions. 10 students actually failed, not just by like 3 points, one got 44 out of 100, there is no way I can use his daily score to lift up that grade.... llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:41 AM »
HAHAHA ahh, poor Eric. If you were the only one, I'd feel more sorry for you.

I've had kids >12 years old misspell their names. I realize their English name isn't true to them, but after a few years thet shouldn't have problems with Kevin or Lucy
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Monkey King

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »
It sounds like overall that you have pretty good students though Eric.

I am not defending that guy, but lower tier private colleges like where he was teaching are a special kind of beast.  You've really got to adjust your expectations to survive.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »
I would have requested a different classroom.  A room with desks only or even desks/chairs that could be moved around  :)  I would have explained to admin that a different room would allow the students to interact better with each other and with the teacher.  The computers would hamper the learning as I wouldn't be using them.  (Chinese teachers do  aoaoaoaoao )
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »
I do have pretty good students. I just hate failing them and..well...a lot of them could have done much better if they just paid a little attention.  llllllllll llllllllll
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Monkey King

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »
A good example of it takes two to tango...I don't know if this from Reddit/TEFL is a troll thread or what but...

http://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL/comments/1h4o0a/teaching_in_chongqing_china/

...accepting an offer at a university position...my first teaching job...

...I am also going to be working at a university in Chongqing...Which University will you be at? unless there's only one... XD

...nice! what's the nightlife comparable to? nyc?..

Oh, TEFL in China, you so crazy  (I bet they have an awesome time in Chongqing, I'm just a bitter old expat!)...

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:30:58 AM by Isidnar »

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
Saturday I went to interview some perspective students for next years senior 1(grade 10) class.  The vice principal told me that one of this years senior 1's may not be back next year because his father is thinking about taking him to the US and putting him into an American school.

That might be well in good, but he is one of the laziest students in my class.  All he thinks about is basketball.  He says he wants to go to college in Toronto because that is where his "secret girlfriend" (neither of the parents know they are a couple) is going.  She is a year ahead of him. 

When I said if he goes to high school in the US he is in for a rude awakening and might suddenly realize he actually needs to work.  He also is going to get schooled on the basketball courts if he tries his "I am the best player" routine on the American kids.