Criminal Checks and Potential Illegal Foreigner Crackdown

• 118 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Criminal Checks and Potential Illegal Foreigner Crackdown
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:26 AM »
I actually had a very good job offer in Seoul when I was applying for jobs in China but the reason that it fell through was because they had just introduced their criminal check laws due to a paedophile being caught in a Korean school (again someone who was suspected in England)

I don't have any criminal record, it was just because the process obviously is important in terms of personal information and so on it would have ended up taking months and I was unemployed at the time and didn't want to end up adding more time to my unemployment

Criminal checks are a good idea but they involve a bunch of inefficient bureaucracies so of course people try to avoid them. It was only about 10 years ago that they started taking criminal checks in schools seriously in Britain so by that logic it will happen in Chinese private schools just after they find a way to travel back in time and prevent it

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 03:25:40 AM »
Background checks are common in Canada.  It does cost to get them from the local police/provincial police/RCMP (depending on where you live).  Cost is $25.00

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm

I didn't need one for working as a Professional Engineer but I know you do need one to do volunteer work. ( at least in Ontario)

I did not require one to teach in China.   bjbjbjbjbj

The cost is not prohibitive for job applicants and I see no reason why a Chinese school could not request one.   bjbjbjbjbj agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:37 AM »
As an aside, and sort of pertinent to what bobrage mentioned, I have a friend who is Canadian and who is applying for permanent Canadian residency for her foreign spouse. Said couple have lived ALL over the world, as the husband was one of those fancy fancy expat package guys. In applying for permanent residency in Canada they had to provide a background check from every country they'd ever lived in. For these guys that was a LOT of background checking, and some of the checks, for off the beaten track countries, were almost impossible to procure after the fact.

I've had to get a Chinese criminal check for my husband's American visa applications. It was free and took about 5 minutes.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
I've had to get a Chinese criminal check for my husband's American visa applications. It was free and took about 5 minutes.

There's an official way to get a check in China?  Please tell.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 03:20:25 PM »
Well the check will only affirm that you haven't committed any crimes in China, but go to your local PSB, the one where you registered your residence, and they should be able to sort you out.

In Chinese this is called a 无犯罪记录.

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:38 AM »
too bad they don't require these criminal checks of school owners

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 04:06:14 AM »
ROFLMAO!!

Or make cheating people within the rules a crime, or...

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
My company actually has an office in Washington DC.  One of their duties is to do background checks on applicants.  I was told they contact everybody, schools to verify credentials, FBI and local police departments for criminal background checks, credit checks and they also call former employers and references to get as much info on an applicant as U.S law will allow.

enjoi

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
I'm all for measures ensuring morally enforced individuals are being granted positions to work with kids and the citizens of China. With that said, are they just gonna post up with an iron fist like Korea and ban anyone with anything on their record regardless of what it is? I think it is absurd to disallow people from entering the country and working because of misdemeanors and traffic related charges. And that's exactly how Korea is with their hiring of foreign teachers.

enjoi

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
My company actually has an office in Washington DC.  One of their duties is to do background checks on applicants.  I was told they contact everybody, schools to verify credentials, FBI and local police departments for criminal background checks, credit checks and they also call former employers and references to get as much info on an applicant as U.S law will allow.

LMAO so anyone with a blemish on what is an American phenomenon known as the 'credit score' is barred from employment? Smh, typical American fascist oversight.

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
I have pretty poor credit due to misadventures with credit cards when I was a teenager (companies in the USA, at that time, marketed aggressively to the newly adult, no idea if that is still the case). I have no idea why an inability to handle money should preclude someone from becoming a teacher. Working as an accountant, or in finance maybe, but teaching? Seems harsh.

A-Train

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »

LMAO so anyone with a blemish on what is an American phenomenon known as the 'credit score' is barred from employment? Smh, typical American fascist oversight.

Human Resource management has gone completely nuts with its self-importance and technocracy. The idea that you can take the evaluation of people down to a science tells you about all you need to know about what corporations want as an employee.  I've responded to ads online that will require you to fill out an IQ test and personality profile to make the initial application. They are just trying to screen out anything that is unconventional.  As George Carlin said:

"They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them. That's against their interests. They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting fucked by a system that threw them overboard 30 fucking years ago.

"You know what they want? Obedient workers ­ people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, reduced benefits, the end of overtime and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

jpd01

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
A guy I know that does the recruiting for New Oriental told me that he was trying to get a British citizen a Z visa, but it was rejected because when checked up on the  guy had a DUI from 15 years ago.
Application was dead in the water after that.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
That's amazing. 15 years ago for a DUI. Of course that's a serious crime and should never be dismissed, but how does a decade and a half old drinking offence deter hiring someone for teaching, in China no less?

On top of that, New Oriental has enough trouble hiring and keeping FTs, they'd hire Yakov Smirnov (In Russia, students teach teachers English)
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »
Human Resources seems to be all about limiting liability instead of finding talent.  This is how we select our candidates for government as well. Whittle away anybody with a defect and end up with the perfectly fake candidate.  Pretty sure that's how the U.S. ended up with Mitt Romney going as far as he did.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck