Beijing foreigner sexual assault incident

• 84 replies

NATO

Re: Beijing foreigner sexual assault incident
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2012, 06:00:43 AM »
I'd like to see him try.

Keep on the ridiculing front, here's a delightful story form Rectified Name:

Last summer, I was in the studio audience on a brand new Chinese culture show hosted by Yang Rui on a Chinese language CCTV channel. Yang ‘warmed’ the audience up by admitting that none of them would know him and then spent ten minutes chatting ‘at’ me in English, which was clearly nothing more than an effort to show off. You could tell he was very sensitive about his lack of fame among ordinary Chinese, but that he holds his ‘communicator with the great laowai masses’ role in very high esteem.

As the show went on it got better (worse) with Yang making frequent Chinese mistakes, mostly messing up lines of poetry that were corrected by heckling from the audience. We frequently had to shoot bits again due to Yang tripping over chengyu or the odd couplet or three. Yeah, Tang poetry can be obscure, but these were famous pieces every middle school student should know.

The subject of the show was an interview with Li Xiangting 李祥霆, one of China’s greatest guqin (zither) masters. When it came to studio Q&A with the master, he turns to me and, in English, starts asking me about my favorite part of the show. I reply in English that I liked the tune the master played, one that had been composed in the Han dynasty supposedly to commemorate the attempted assassination of Qin Shihuang, to which Yang switches into condescending mode, speaking in a laowai voice: “Ohhh…you know Chin Shhii Huuuang?!” He then invites me onto the stage for me to put my questions to Master Li.

We step-up together and he places himself right between us ready to translate and I begin: “李老师,您好!”With this the audience claps and cheers and Yang looks like I’ve just winded him in the stomach. Before I can ask my question he gives a closed-lip smile and accuses me of ‘tricking’ him into thinking I couldn’t speak Chinese. No, Yang, you never asked (by the way, how the hell he thought I understood the Qin Shihuang bit, I’ll never know).

I then ask the master a couple of questions about what advice he might have for people outside of China wanting to learn the guqin.

But it wasn’t over. I had taken away Yang’s position of ‘laowai whisperer’, he needed to reassert his face and authority. So, very unprofessionally, he turns his back to Master Li, the focus of the show, and starts grilling me (almost literally under the heat of the studio lights) about the innate differences between YOUR Western music and OUR Chinese music and how Western music is so suibian but Chinese music should be played with the soul – how could a non-Chinese ever achieve this? I began answering in Chinese but he pressed me, I kid you not, to stop and answer in English. So I gave an answer about music being fundamentally based on the same principles etc. He didn’t like my answer and didn’t bother to translate, just told me to sit down.

The whole sorry episode ended up on the cutting room floor, with only my question and Master Li’s answer making it into the final show.

On the way out the door I overheard audience members engaged in fierce agreement over Yang’s unimpressive Chinese skills and how poorly the show was hosted: “Master Li was awesome, just a shame the host came across as so uneducated!”

- Luke Hambleton is a difangzhi monkey and real ale enthusiast residing in Beijing.

http://www.rectified.name/2012/05/23/okay-seriously-one-last-yang-rui-story/

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
Flipping the script: U.S. cracks down on illegal Chinese teachers

On May 17th, the United States Department of State sent out a policy directive to American universities sponsoring Confucius Institutes. It states that Chinese academics teaching grade-school levels at institutions without the proper accreditation are violating the terms of their visas and must leave the country at the end of the current term.

Confucius Institutes are non-profit public entities sponsored by the P.R.C. to teach Mandarin, spread Chinese culture and enable cultural exchanges abroad. There are more than 60 of these in the United States alone, and most are affiliated with universities. They are an attempt by the Chinese government to establish a bedding of soft power worldwide.

While the institutes have spread quickly since their introduction in 2004, they have not been without critics. According to a thorough article by Don Starr in the European Journal of Education, “These criticisms centre round improper influence over teaching and research, industrial and military espionage, surveillance of Chinese abroad and undermining Taiwanese influence as part of the reunification plan.”

Universities have also been warned not to substitue their proper China or East Asian department with a Confucius Institute for fear of loss of objectivity. The University World News took note of a warning from an expert on Australia-China relations:

Professor Jocelyn Chey says academics should be aware of potential bias when Confucius institutes sought to undertake teaching or research as part of a university’s mainstream activities. Because of the institutes’ close links with the Chinese government and the Communist Party, Chey said this could lead at best to a “dumbing down” of research and at worst could produce propaganda.

If these fears are unfounded though, a properly managed Confucius Institute could very well provide a helpful introduction to China and a welcoming atmosphere for those curious about the country. They could also be used as strategic diplomacy tools. (In a pinch, they are also excellent fodder for your favorite fake news shows!)

The U.S. Department of State takes the positive view of the Confucius Institutes. So, do not automatically assume fear of a communist uprising is sparking this crackdown. From the Chronicle of Higher Education:

Critics of the centers have called them propaganda vehicles for the Chinese government. But it’s far from certain what led to the current policy directive by the State Department, particularly as the two countries have recently emphasized the importance of academic and cultural exchange, through efforts like the 100,000 Strong Initiative, an Obama-administration pledge to double the number of Americans studying in China.

The problem seems to lie in the use of improperly validated teachers at the institutes. Apparently, the use of students or visiting academics as teachers has become a normal practice. “It notes that while visitors can come as ‘teachers’ or ‘professors/research scholars,’ foreign professors, academics, and students at the university level are prohibited from teaching in public or private schools at the precollege level.”

For an expat in China, this may sound all too familiar. Foreign nationals working at language schools without the proper credentials… A looming crackdown by the national government to deport these individuals… Quick! Cue a douche-y Fox News host to lambast foreigners and stir up nationalist fever!

It would be a reach to somehow draw a connection from recent pronouncements in China to this push by the U.S. Department of State. Both establishments involved in making these decisions are lumbering bureaucracies. To conceive, develop and initiate reactionary protocol in a matter of days is all but impossible. Maybe it’s all just a media-friendly coincidence.

Regardless, it is always smart to play by the rules while living in a foreign country, no matter which direction you call home. It is tough to blame a government (no matter their reputation) for wanting to round-up people working illegally in their country and send them back from which they came.

Exactly how these governments choose to send this message is still debatable though! Which do you prefer? Slamming fist vs. Boring memo

http://is.gd/fqf6Ce

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
I keeping hearing it said, but I have to say I don't really understand the argument that China (or the US for that matter) couldn't organize a crackdown in a matter of days. Isn't swift reaction time what crackdowns are all about? How much organization does it really take to send police officers out searching foreign quarters? If it took months of preparation everytime China wanted to stage a "movement" then people here would be rioting in the streets while the government sat around planning.

BrandeX

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
Because it is, in fact, all just showboating and face saving going on.

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
This is an interesting read.
http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/disquieting-days-for-foreigners-in-china/

It compares the events in Ireland (a 23 year old Chinese man raped a student after a night out) and the incident in Beijing. 

In Ireland - A judge remarks in court that the man’s crime is “uncharacteristic” of the minority ethnic community to which he belongs. A police officer agrees, saying: “Well I have never come across it before.”

In China - Well we all know...
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »
Ireland has really grown up in the last decade or two, our view of ourselves and of others has matured immensely, and a lot of this has come off the back of intense scrutiny of our own negative side (a litany of scandals and corruption). This reached its apotheosis last year where in the space of a few weeks our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) hosted the Queen of England for the first time in her life (hugely significant moment of mass catharsis), and delivered a scathing attack on the Catholic church in our parliament (unthinkable 20 years ago).

What am I saying? I'm saying that China needs to grow the f*** up. This ALL stems from insecurity.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »
Yang Rui - the gift that just keeps on giving

http://shanghaiist.com/2012/05/24/cctv-yang-rui-anti-semite.php

Is CCTV host Yang Rui an anti-Semite?

yang-rui.jpg Douchebag Chinglish talkshow host Yang Rui (杨锐) is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last week, the CCTV News anchor shocked the world with anti-foreigner remarks so needlessly incendiary that even the Global Times had to tone it down by juxtaposing his diatribe against comments by critical Weibo users. Well, apparently he not only has a problem with foreigners -- the people he is supposed to have a Dialogue with -- he isn't a great fan of Jews either.

A little bird sent us the following compilation of tweets that Yang Rui posted on Sina Weibo over the last two years.

Read them and decide for yourselves the answer to the question we posted above:

The media and the republic go up and down together. The US has done this to the extreme, but Wall Street's greed was not exposed because Jews control both the financial and media worlds. Why do the US media not dare to support the call for the establishment of a Palestinian state? It's because they're afraid of getting fired by their Jewish bosses. When I interviewed the chairman of the US Jewish Association, I questioned him on this. He snarled at me ferociously and said that in America, no one would dare to speak to him this way. He was like a mafia chief. So please stop saying how beautiful American press freedom is.

新闻与共和同兴衰。美国做到了极致,但是华尔街的贪婪没有被揭露,因为掌管金融的犹 太人同时控制媒体。美国的媒体为何不敢为巴勒斯坦建国呼吁?怕被犹太老板炒鱿鱼。我采访美国犹太人协会主席质疑过此事,他凶相毕露地说,在美国没有人敢这 样对他说话,一副黑老大的样子。不要美化了美国的新闻自由

-- 21/09/2011

Americans are free but not equal -- Partisan politics have emasculated the government, after the financial crisis, not one person has been brought to task; Whoever wants to be the President has to curry favour with the Jews because they control both the financial and media worlds; the American people have the right to bear firearms, but the right to be free from the harm of firearms is unequal; America has freedom in immigration but there are several million illegal immigrants, and these illegal immigrants have literally become the new black slaves.

美国人自由但不平等:两党政治反对政府干预社会,金融危机爆发后无一人被问责;谁想 当总统必须讨好犹太人,因为他们掌握金融和新闻界;获得普选胜利者要让位选举人的选举;美国平民拥有枪支的自由,但是免于受害的自由非常不平等;美国移民 自由,但是非法移民者有几百万,这些非法移民成为变相黑奴

-- 24/1/2011

Is there anyone who can convince me that US foreign policies have brought peace, stability and prosperity to the Middle East and Central Asia? Is there anyone who can convince me that US foreign policies are truly benefiting others rather than benefiting themselves? Post 9/11, America has become bloodthirsty and has greatly robbed the world of its peace. But has it reflected on its wrong biased policy of shielding Israel? It is impossible for it to do so because Jews are too powerful in the US domestically, controlling both the media and the finance. You'll need the support of the Jews before you step into the presidential elections!

有谁能说服我,美国的对外政策为中东和中亚带来了和平稳定和富庶?有谁能说服我, 美国的对外政策是利他的,非自私的?911后的美国杀红了眼,搅得世界鸡犬不宁。可是它反省了自己偏袒以色列的错误政策了吗?不可能,因为犹太人在美国国 内势力太强大,控制金融和媒体。总统大选需要犹太人!

-- 28/12/2011

Israel has special relations with the US -- it's common knowledge. But if you look into history, you'll find the Lavon Affair which in 1954 made the Americans suspicious as to whether Israel was truly an ally. Israeli agents attempted to destroy several US government offices in Cairo, so as to sow discord in the US-Egypt relationship. During the Iran-Iraq war, Israel supported Iran with large quantities of military weapons, even though Israel was aware that the US hates Iran because of the hostage incident. Some American scholars think that the Jews are only loyal to each other among themselves.

以色列跟美国的特殊关系路人皆知,不过翻开历史,1954年的Lavon Affair让美国人怀疑以色列是否是盟友。以特工试图炸掉几座美国驻开罗的几处政府办事处,挑拨美埃关系;两伊战争期间,以支持伊朗,并提供大量军火, 虽然以知道因为人质事件美国仇恨伊朗。有美国学者认为犹太人只对彼此忠诚

-- 04/12/2011

Israeli newspaper Haaretz revealed that that the US Jewish publishing tycoon Andrew Adler suggested that Israel's Mossad special forces assassinate the indecisive Obama, so that the vice president can become president and support Israel in its attack of Iranian nuclear facilities. This sounds unbelievable but in order to survive, there is nothing Israel won't do. It's no secret that Israel has for a long time been sowing discord between the Americans and the Arabs.

以色列国土报网站爆料,在美国的犹太大亨出版商阿德勒建议以色列特工摩萨德组织别动 队暗杀优柔寡断的奥巴马,然后希望继任的副总统能够支持以色列打击伊朗核设施。这事听起来悬,但是为了生存,以色什么都干得出来。以色列在中东离间和挑拨 美国人与阿拉伯人关系不是秘密也不新鲜

-- 26/01/2012
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 01:36:19 AM »
What am I saying? I'm saying that China needs to grow the f*** up. This ALL stems from insecurity.

It's important to remember that it is Chinese state media and youku comments that most of us are talking about here. It's like if you watch Fox you end up hating America....

Monkey King

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »
According to unconfirmed TWEETS our overly amorous ambassador of British/Foreign culture was deported early this week.

Leo Lewis ‏@Urbandirt
Sex attack Brit in China being deported on 11.15am BA flight this morning, I believe...

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »
According to unconfirmed TWEETS our overly amorous ambassador of British/Foreign culture was deported early this week.

Leo Lewis ‏@Urbandirt
Sex attack Brit in China being deported on 11.15am BA flight this morning, I believe...

good riddance - though I wonder will this be used by the angry mob as an example of how foreigners can evade the law?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪