Beijing foreigner sexual assault incident

• 84 replies

Monkey King

Beijing foreigner sexual assault incident
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
I wanted to make a separate thread about this, I couldn't see an existing one and the story and fall out is causing a bit of a stir.

First of all, I do not want to trivialise or downplay sexual assault or rape.

However, as reported on another forum, at about 6-7 seconds in it looks very much like the woman lifts the guys wallet and hides it in the flower bed.  What do you reckon?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzkzNDY5ODI0.html

More at Chinasmack:

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/videos/british-man-beat-up-for-sexually-assaulting-chinese-girl.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:28:54 PM by MK »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Beijing foreigner sexual assault incident
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
I see her hand reach in that direction, but if you look closely the guy has his wallet on a chain...so no pickpocketing there IMHO.

Having worked in a bar in China, I've seen a lot of foreigners get shit-faced out-of-control drunk and way too aggressive. It's a sure-fire way to get into trouble! bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
Could be a pickpocket.

And yet, some dickhead choosing to stand in public between the legs of some woman lying in a flowerbed with her dress up over her hips is just neither the smartest man alive nor the suavest. If this is how he, even drunk, figures things work around here, then THANKS VERY MUCH GUY FOR HELPING US WITH OUR IMAGE PROBLEM, DID YOU LEARN THAT IN YOUR CULTURAL RELATIONS CLASS>?!

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
Looks like our Moron of the Month was here on a tourist visa.  Anyone want to bet if he was just being the worlds worst tourist or if he was here teaching illegally?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
If he was Chinese they'd probably all be laughing, filming on their phones and calling the woman a slut....

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
There was a discussion of this, but it is in the "what's in the news" section. It probably does need its own thread, thanks MK

I don't think the woman was pickpocketing the guy. There's been some speculation that she was perhaps a prostitute and the thing was a setup to extort the guy, but I don't know. I sort of feel like grasping at straws for excuses as to why this guy might have had a legitimate reason for being drunk off his ass and between a screaming woman's legs in public is not really the best way for the foreign community to react to this incident. We'll probably never know the truth, but no matter what was really going on with the guy and the girl, the Chinese on the internet have reacted with predictable vitriol. I read a few of the comments and couldn't bring myself to keep going, it is all very hateful and upsetting.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
I'm amazed that you all are talking about what he/she did or didn't do?

It doesn't matter at all.

It's like you are thinking that if he didn't do anything wrong, then there's nothing to worry about.

Try to understand, you are minorities. It doesn't even matter if there is conclusive video proof that he did nothing and she and an accomplice set him up.

It the fervour you have to pay attention to. The kind of people that will start something are not doing it based on what this idiot did or didn't do. They are looking for an excuse to react like a mob in nationalistic/racist way.

You don't watch your back because of what this guy did, you watch your back because of what people think they can justify in their own minds.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
yeah, I would be watching my back if out drinking in the company of Chinese women for sure...
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 02:14:43 AM »
I like the following comments from the link that MK posted...

Ulywang
If you have been in China that long and know the people so well, you should also know those rabid comments online don’t have much real bearing on the thoughts and behavior of those Chinese around you. It’s easy to cry wolf in situations like this anywhere in the world, but an outrageous case like the Brit brute and angry online voices rarely translate into a nationwide xenophobic trend. Again, you should already know that.

+

Don’t you “China watchers”ever get tired trying to read and make sense of all those Chinese netizens’ online comments? Yeah it’s a reflection of what “the people” think and how they may one day act, blahblah, but if you haven’t got the sense by now that these are mostly just a bunch of frustrated, bored young people blowing off steam and moaning for nothing, then there is something wrong with your China watching methodology.
How many times have they REALLY, I mean really, influenced Chinese policy making?

there's a lot of truth in what she says, methinks.

That said, it's ALWAYS good to be on good behaviour when out on the piss.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

NATO

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:49:47 AM »
Women have it so far stacked against them in cases of rape and sexual assault, too often women are demonised in some way or other (here as a 'thief') or told they were "asking for it".

I don't think it looks very much like she lifts anything from the guy, the video shows nothing to that effect. As much as it might be tempting as foreigners for us to rationalise this pig's actions, we should let sense and fairness win through. I hope the girl can recover from the incident - I imagine these things can do a lot of damage to someone's confidence and sense of safety.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:22:21 AM »
Also, first thought? Does anyone have a stockpile of those WWII anti-jewish posters? If this guy had slightly more pointy ears...

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »
Wise words from Stil. I got quite angry today reading up on this, my first thought was that it was just some prick who got what was coming and that happens a lot, but then I watched the video and was looking through the reactions and I ended up feeling alienated by China. Then I remembered that it's the equivalent of youtube comments and the amount of racist stuff I've read on western websites. Then I felt alienated from the world. Then I read a book and felt happy :D

BrandeX

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Without having first hand observation of the scene, all I can see from the video clip is a foreigner in an unusual situation, which may have either been harmless or inappropriate. He is asked to leave by a local, which he agrees to, and starts walking away. Cut to next scene where he is being chased by yokels and beat down into semi-consciousness on the street. Following this, he is kicked and beaten by more bystanders while lying on the ground. Apparently behind the man is a police car with some officers watching the scene unfold.

I am not sure what happened in the 2 minutes leading up to the beginning of the video, but in a civilized country, the cops standing there watching as well as the people beating the man after walking away and whiel lying on the ground would be fucked.

Can't defend the guy because I don't know the whole story, and yea being drunk in public is stupid and a crime in most places too. However, it does appear the crowds reaction is immoral if unlawful, when simple restraint would have sufficed until being handed over to authorities.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:44 PM »
Without having first hand observation of the scene, all I can see from the video clip is a foreigner in an unusual situation, which may have either been harmless or inappropriate.

That's a bit too mild, I think. They were in a situation where the woman could, once there was some intervention, jump up and with a convincing display of distress claim "I don't know him". Since they were not having a casual English Corner but some kind of interaction involving skirts being lifted in public and officially sexual poses being struck, for this situation to have been merely inappropriate, the woman would have had to have been a prostitute, a grifter of some other kind, or deficient in IQ.

There's a whole lot of other issues in the video too, but that the guy was at the very least taking or trying to take some kind of advantage seems a little bit clear.

I'm not the law so I don't say that he deserves a beating for that, nor really will I say anything about what he deserves because, yeah, the whole story isn't completely evident. However... [something, but I don't actually know what.]

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:22:07 PM »
You can't even see anything from the 2 seconds on the clip. The girl is lying on the side of the road and the guy is standing over her drunk is all you can see. Her skirt is up but she is wearing a very short skirt and lying on her back. It could be anything, especially since it looks like we see about an hour of action edited into about 3 minutes