2 (2%)
Other (Please Specify)
7 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Where Ya From, Pardner?

• 100 replies
Re: Where Ya From, Pardner?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »
I'm from the USA. I grew up in Charleston, South Carolina but migrated to Texas when I was a teenager. I went to college in Austin, Texas and consider that to be my adopted hometown.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
London, England.

That's southern Scotland, right?  bvbvbvbvbv
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
Scotland

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
Scotland

bvbvbvbvbv bvbvbvbvbv bvbvbvbvbv bvbvbvbvbv

Hey Raoul, can you fix the poll?  For some reason it says UK instead of Greater Scotland.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

mkate

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
 bxbxbxbxbx

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

OI OI OI!

Monkey King

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
Scotland, UK.  I consider myself equally Scottish and British (as distinct from English - I am one of the 2 'UK' votes so far). I am also European.  And a world citizen!

xwarrior

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
Meanwhile, we have 3 people claiming "Other" countries, but only 2 votes for "Other".
This...THIS!...is why people just don't trust foreigners.

It is caused by the DOMINIE EFFECT - school teachers are hopeless at following instructions.

You usually find that they will:

1 query the need for the survey
2 question its methodology
3 whine about all the extra work involved
4 say that they will complete the task when the govt issues free pens to teachers
5 ask you to define 'country'
6 etc

In other words, they will do everything except put a bloody tick in the bloody box 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
Originally from the UK (Which is that thing East of the Republic of Ireland) but lived in France, then back to the UK ,then over here (Jerusalem),got married stayed here 30 years so have now lived here longer than I lived over there so don't really belong anywhere   ahahahahah
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »
Winchester, a small town in the south of England, and possibly the most boring place in the universe (including the ten billion light-years of empty space between this galaxy and the next). However, I've made up for it by travelling obsessively ever since I was old enough to not need permission from my parents.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

fox

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
Scottish, dragged up in Orkney - a bunch of obscure islands in the north sea. Lived in Israel for a while, then back to Scotland, down the south in lockerbie for 20 years, until the rugrats had grown, then China for the last four years.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
Nice to see the diversity.  I remember when the Aussies were flirting with a majority.  It only came to grief on all the sports threads (yackity yak!), but I'm glad we're getting more spread out.

And it's nice to see "Other" making a good showing.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:25 AM »
Canada. More to the point, upwind of Toronto.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Born in Brisbane Australia with the standard (at the time) English Irish Scottish German type ancestry.I err,umm, have 2 convict ancestors on my mum's side of the equation.  :wtf:
Grew up over the border in Tenterfield New South Wales and yes I did know the Tenterfield Saddler made famous in the song by his nephew Peter Allen,whom I used to fight down the creek at the back of my place. bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah Came full circle and live back in Brisbane.  bfbfbfbfbf If I say any more, this site may be closed down! uuuuuuuuuu

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
Injecting a couple of points here...

You might notice that the specified countries make up what I call the "Big Six" native-English-speaking countries. I only have a limited number of voting options to work with, and this is how I selected them. Other countries, such as India, The Philippines, or Singapore, also claim with some validity that they are native English speakers, but it can be argued that their English differs considerably from the English of the Big Six (itself an incredibly diverse group), especially in pronunciation. Perhaps more to the point, the Chinese themselves are much less likely to identify most people outside the Big Six as "native speakers" when making employment decisions.
(I dropped South Africa from what used to be the "Big Seven" because the perception as "native speakers" divides so strongly along racial lines. This happens to some extent everywhere, sadly, but is strongest when accepting South Africans. It's racism, and we's agin' it. asasasasas )
(Hmmm...maybe this is a good reason to put them back in...)

Anyway.
I KNEW we were diverse and, well, riddled with Others, bpbpbpbpbp  possibly because I currently still handle New Member intake, but am still surprised by findings so far. I think Australians were the largest group for a long time, but had begun to suspect that this had changed...and this seems to be true. But until putting up this poll, I could only make inferences about our membership...

I'm stunned that Americans are currently leading the pack to a fairly significant degree. Not sure this has ever happened before. Perhaps this place should become more USA-centric?
(I am, of course, joking. ahahahahah pppppppppp )

My personal guess was that we had evolved to a majority of Canadians, but it seems I was wrong. Perhaps it was just an indication of how mouthy and obnoxious these people tend to be. ahahahahah

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Brits are outnumbering Canadians, at least to far. I knew we had a fair showing from various corners of the UK, but it's bigger than I expected.
Happily, we have a large contingent of Scots among us. Please don't talk about the Special Discount... bvbvbvbvbv

Of course, the poll only indicates members who are currently active and participating. Sorry, guys, but if you're not active and participating here, you've lost something in terms of relevance. cccccccccc

Let me close by saying that it doesn't really matter where you come from. Basically, all teasing aside we are all brothers and sisters, and all in the same boat...and if we don't all hang together, we shall most certainly hang separately. I undertook this poll out of curiosity, and to give our management a better idea of who we are and what we need. But this Saloon warmly welcomes and serves ALL people of good will, no matter where they come from or what they look like. :grouphug:

Of course, you get more free drinks if you're cute. afafafafaf
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:21:26 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
Aw, now, Granny Mae...don't be shy or ashamed about your lineage.
I think nearly all of us here are at least vaguely familiar with Australia's history, so of course we all understand and accept the strong relationship between "Australian" and "criminal". uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah pppppppppp
akakakakak agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)