world cup

• 252 replies
world cup
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:45:48 AM »
1. what team is the most popular on average in china.
2. will CCTV be showing all the games or will i need to watch some on satellite?
3. who ya got winning it all?

George

• My view of China
Re: world cup
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:03:56 AM »
And who cares?
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:23:49 AM »
1. what team is the most popular on average in china.
2. will CCTV be showing all the games or will i need to watch some on satellite?
3. who ya got winning it all?

Italy, again
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Tai_Li

• The waiting game, like the mating game.
    • My Band's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
I LOVE the World Cup! As an American who loves football, it's fabulous to feel connected to the 'world' game for once. I'm not in China yet, and it'll be over by the time I get there, but to answer the question who cares, I do!
四是四
十是十
十四是十四
四十是四十

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
I'm in the opposite camp here.
There's something just fundamentally...wrong...with a sport where BOTH opening matches of the major championship event are allowed to end in ties. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »
In just about any sport, a draw may not be the desired result, but is the natural result of a well played game.  Look at chess. You need to make an an error to lose. Winners are good at putting pressure on opponents until they crack. The idea that someone has to lose and often leads to really stupid, artificial things being grafted onto the game. Extra innings in baseball, sudden death overtime in hockey or basketball, those I understand. Those are just natural extensions of the game. However, deciding a game on penalties (footie, international  hockey) just rubs the wrong way. Could you see the seventh game between the Lakers and Celtics being decided by a slam-dunk competition, because they don't want any overtime?

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
There's something just fundamentally...wrong...with a sport where BOTH opening matches of the major championship event are allowed to end in ties.

I guess it is all about ensuring that the best teams go through to the next round. If a game ends in a draw/tie then it would seem that both teams were equal on the day and should have a chance to go through.

The alternative of having a penalty shoot-out, while exciting for spectators, is rather unfair that the result of a whole game depends on the efforts of a few individuals.

Allowing drawn games in football makes more sense to me than the NBA having two teams playing an interminable number of games to decide the championship.

Cricket, of course, has no problem with accepting drawn games. After watching 5 tests,  with each test lasting 5 days, the average cricket follower (Australian supporters excepted, of course!) can accept a drawn series with equanimity.  
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »
I know that England is leading Germany 2-0 in the World War series. Does anyone know if there will be a third test? Or is it that the best of 3 is the winner? 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Scoff if you will, but I love the World Cup.  I just can't care about two clubs from cities I've never heard of squaring off, but two countries, that's something I can sink my teeth into.  And Watching the South Africa vs. Mexico match with a barful of people was awesome.  I'm going to make a habit of it (just not tomorrow's England-USA matchup- it's at 2 am. and I'm already short of sleep).

I'm picking England to hoist the Cup.  I'm pretty much alone in that sentiment.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
the bar i watched it in had a world cup party and everyone left once the football started :D:D

tonight is gonna be a pure drinking and shouting anti american fest win lose or draw

i love the world cup and football is better than american sports BECAUSE it can end in a draw normally. after the groups when most of the comedy/lucky teams have gone home it can't end in a draw anyway

George

• My view of China
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:59:30 PM »
I'm picking England to hoist the Cup.  I'm pretty much alone in that sentiment.
Yeah. That's about as clever as tipping Australia to win! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »
eh?...what?...huh? world what’s-it?...as a European who finds football immensely boring, I don’t know the answers to any of those questions.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »
eh?...what?...huh? world what’s-it?...as a European who finds football immensely boring, I don’t know the answers to any of those questions.

denmark are decent this year

AMonk

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 12:43:09 AM »
Me Pater prognosticated that "a European team, an African team, perhaps a South American team, and maybe the Chinese" would be good bets to survive the Semi-Finals and fight it out for the Cup....but he's just a canny, old ex-FIFA referee ahahahahah
Moderation....in most things...

Monkey King

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 12:50:32 AM »
denmark are decent this year

Slightly off topic, but the Danish team of the mid-80s, which was when I became old enough to start actively taking an interest in international football, were pretty damn awesome.

I am on holiday at the moment, so hopefully will be able to see a lot of games.  Got my part-time job tomorrow though, so no supporting "anybody but England" for this Scot tonight, need my beauty sleep.