Swine flu panic....

• 226 replies

old34

Re: Swine flu panic....
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 02:32:11 AM »
SARS had them send people home.

Which form of "send" are you using? "Send" in the oft-used-by-Chinese sense of "I'll send you to the train station", or "send" in the sense of "required to leave"? And who was "them"?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 03:32:12 AM »
Teachers were actively encouraged to leave.

old34

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 04:01:36 AM »
Teachers were actively encouraged to leave.

Really?  Were you here then?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 04:11:48 AM »
I was in China from the beginning of SARS till the end and no one forced or even asked me to leave. Students on study abroad programs had their programs cancelled and were encouraged to go home, but no one was "sent" home as far as I remember -- no deportations or cancelled visas. But I was in a relatively SARS free zone, I'm not sure what it was like in Beijing where SARS was really bad.

I don't think we'll be deported due to the swine flu, that's a bit extreme. If it didn't happen during SARS it won't happen now.

old34

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 04:30:14 AM »
The way I recall it, and I was here and in the middle of it, was that we FTs knew a lot more about SARS then what was being let on here. The TEFL China list was very active in passing information around at that time-I think we got the first warning in January, 2003. The Chinese government didn't own up until the middle of April, 2003 and only then, under direct pressure and threats from the WHO. Still, they wavered until the mayor of Beijing got sacked and the Central government gave Wu Yi (the Chinese Olympia Snowe) the task of overseeing the crisis.

Anyway, no one was sent home, no one was encouraged or even suggested to leave. In the spring of 2003, no one, not even the WHO knew how it was transmitted nor how to control transmission. Vaccines didn't and couldn't be produced because...no one knew the whys or hows of SARS.

What DID happen is that SAFEA decided to order the universities to OFFER FTs the opportunity to cancel their contracts and return home immediately (mid-semester-about May 1st) with flight costs having to be borne by the school. Believe me, the universities did NOT want to do this because it meant they had to pay flight costs NOW (one way, no discount) and students of teachers who chose the option had 6 less weeks of those FTs' classes.

No one was SENT home, and no one was "encouraged" to return home. Least of all the latter. The schools were a bit put off by it all, in fact, because it cost them extra money and hassle.

But this current situation is a whole different kettle of fish. SARS had no known cause, no known transmission method and no known vaccine (those came later, after the crisis passed on). Also, SARS was more deadly.

Alarmist claims based upon what did and didn't happen back in 03 have no place in this discussion.  ahahahahah
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 06:42:58 AM by old34 »

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 05:27:55 AM »
3 confirmed cases in the school, 20 persons quarantined, prophylactic thermometers issued to all foreigners, and come Monday there'll be some freakin huge number of freshmen roll up to the dormitory door step and say hay.

We're all gonna die.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 06:25:11 AM »
No, I wasn't here then, I arrived in the January after it.  Teachers from the uni I went to told me that they had been encouraged to go home, and that their contracts would be renewed if they came back.  Some stayed, some went, some went and stayed back in their home countries, some returned.  Different places, different attitudes - this is China!  ahahahahah

old34

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 06:44:18 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to add the requisite  ahahahahah to my last post.

Done and done.  ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 07:04:50 AM »
Sorry - I didn't see that stating a factual occurrence was alarmist.  The authorities were alarmed and panicked a fair bit during that time.  I would assume that they have learned a lot about handling events now - the earthquake demonstrated a quite different attitude as did the avian flu outbreak.

One Xi'an uni is now in total lockdown - no-one in or out.  Waiting to see what happens with us,given we have confirmed cases.

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:22 AM »
One Xi'an uni is now in total lockdown - no-one in or out.  Waiting to see what happens with us,given we have confirmed cases.

They did that at my then school in Changsha during SARS, and extended the school semester into the holidays rather than let the students go home.  As I recall this wasn't just a one school thing, but legitimised by (de facto or real, I never found out) travel restrictions and local government something-or-others.

The wee kiddywinks rioted one evening, prison stylee, tossing things out of dormitory windows and shouting.  Gates opened next day.  (After, that is, a whole of school assembly where the president harangued the students for some time and expelled several.)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Schnerby

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
Lock down?

Wow. Thankdully my town doesn't have any cases reported. I guess that doesn't mean there aren't any, though.

Military training has been cancelled though. Living in dorms, eating and studying together won't give you H1N1 - just military training.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »
If I might dare to venture very slightly  offtopic

Does anyone have any experience getting the normal annual flu vaccination?  I couldn't snag one in the US before leaving.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
I haven't tried to get the normal annual flu vacinnation here ... I had that in Australia before the start of the flu season there (just finishing now) ... But they do know that it doesn't help to protect you against H1N1.   They also noticed this flu season that almost all of the flu that people caught was H1N1 rather than the other normal seasonal flu. 

Nothing has been said to the foreign teachers at my University (in the North-east away from the current real hotspots). But there is a notice on the notice board in the building I live in (which has foreign teachers and students) telling the foreign students telling them that they are going to get a form to fill in (I gather each week - english isn't perfect on the notice) which includes taking their temperature twice a day and submitting the form to the front security desk each Monday (so they can identify cases and quarantine them in the hospital).   The one thing I find strange in that is that they only need to report once a week which could mean that they are effectively out of danger of spreading the flu by the time they are identifed.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
I got a flu vaccination last winter. Asked the School to do it and they complied. Will do it again this year.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I got a supply of 'Tamiflu' when i was home. It's what they are treating ALL suspected H1N1 cases with.

I got it just in case :D
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??