Swine flu panic....

• 226 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Swine flu panic....
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »
Current advice is that our campus is closed down, although one of my friends told the gate security guys he was coming to visit me and they let him in.  Plus a wedding happened here today, so all the cars had to go in and out.  Not sure how 'closed down' this is!!

Schnerby

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
I got a supply of 'Tamiflu' when i was home. It's what they are treating ALL suspected H1N1 cases with.

I got it just in case :D

I have some of that since bird flu was going around when I left home. Didn't know it could treat H1N1. Thanks, Bugs!

Borkya

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
We aren't on lockdown yet, but I think there are 10 confirmed cases. of course the freshman showed up today so there are a lot more kids on campus now.

The school also canceled military training and are starting the freshman classes 2 weeks early, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, being outside is way better for preventing the spread of germs than all being in a full, tiny, barely ventilated room!!  bibibibibi

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »
I am now given a list of student temperatures every morning before class, so I have to give them my temperature everyday too. Good toknow they are not just picking on the foreign teachers here but are taking every bodies temperature.  bfbfbfbfbf

AMonk

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
I got a supply of 'Tamiflu' when i was home. It's what they are treating ALL suspected H1N1 cases with.

I got it just in case :D

I have some of that since bird flu was going around when I left home. Didn't know it could treat H1N1. Thanks, Bugs!

"Tamiflu" is a symptomatic medicine - not a curative.  It helps to ease the aches, pains and fevers that accompany influenza.  It cannot/does not stop/remove the disease.  Just makes the suffering more bearable.
Moderation....in most things...

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
The students have been told that if they go off campus after either tomorrow or Monday, they will have to spend 10 days in quarantine in hospital on their return.  Several buildings have been quarantined.  The young fella I had staying with me finished his TOEFL exam today and has moved back to the dorms just now, so he won't run the risk of missing his lab work projects.  He had planned on partying a bit tonight, but...

Student clubs and activities have been cancelled.

synthette58

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 02:48:55 AM »
The majority of chronic stressors will suppress the immune response (mediated largely through the cortisol pathways) - so, with the start of the semester, travel issues, financial issues, classes etc.....I can fully understand why military training has been cancelled.
However, a couple of weeks of camping in the great outdoors would do them a world of good!
 ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
We are now in lockdown.  Not allowed in or out.  A couple of students escaped from the new campus last night, and came to see me this morning, but were refused entrance, so I had to trot to the gate to talk to them.  They will head back to Beijing until it is safe to come back again.

Confirmed 25 cases as of this morning.

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
Lotus, what are you doing for everyday stuff, shopping etc?
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
Eating on campus.  We also have several little supermarkets on campus.  They, and the canteens, will make a killing!!

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 05:28:56 PM »
We are now in lockdown.  Not allowed in or out.  A couple of students escaped from the new campus last night, and came to see me this morning, but were refused entrance, so I had to trot to the gate to talk to them.  They will head back to Beijing until it is safe to come back again.

Confirmed 25 cases as of this morning.

Lotus, do you know how big a deal H1N1 is in Xi'an?  Like, how many cases in the city proper?  Or is it mostly a students-coming-back-from-other-sick-places thing, and the schools are going nuts but the city isn't?

Because I know H1N1 is in my school, and I can see them going nuts and choosing lockdown too. (Which totally won't work given the very long, very low fence at the back of the school, and the majority of the shopping and entertainment establishments being just outside the school gate.) 

And I can see them cancelling military training and not telling me and lo, I'll have classes tomorrow without knowing it.  Currently I'm taking the view that if I don't ask, it won't happen.

Every time I take my own temperature, it comes up 37 or 37.1.  Maybe I'm pregnant.  "Flu strikes China and man has baby--film at 11."
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

George

• My view of China
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
There won't be any sXXXX XXX cases in Jinan. We have the Asian Games coming up!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Ruth

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
 ahahahahah kkkkkkkkkk Just like there weren't any tainted milk cases until after the Olympics last year.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
I haven't heard about too many cases outside the education system.  But I was told the Xi'an Gov't is supporting the lockdown of the unis because they don't want a spread into the general populace.

My uni started 4 weeks ago, and it is only after the other unis returned that we had any confirmed cases.  Students catching up with their friends in different unis.  So our first years managed to finish their military training, but might not have classes!  ahahahahah  

Lots of excited chat at the gates of the uni though.  People on the inside wanting to get out, people on the outside wanting to get in.  Security guards wearing masks.

Me - I'm happy to stay in my apartment because it is pouring rain and cold.

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 07:39:59 PM »
Checked with a student on the student union at my Uni.  She said no cases in my city and a few in Shenyang.

That is good news for us.  agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.